Loading...
Minutes - Downtown Management Commission - 3/1/2010CITY OF BOULDER, COLORADO AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES FORM NAME OF BOARD /COMMISSION: DOWNTOWN MANAGEMENT COMMISSION NAME /TELEPHONE OF PERSON PREPARING SUMMARY Ruth Weiss -303- 413 -7318 NAMES OF MEMBERS, STAFF, AND INVITED GUESTS PRESENT: BOARD MEMBERS: DAHL, KOVAL, MCMULLEN, PATTERSON (absent), RUTHERFORD STAFF: WINTER, JOBERT, WEISS, MATTHEWS, LANDRITH, MARTIN, WEINHEIMER, CUNNINGHAM, FRED GERHARDT GUEST: SEAN MAHER TYPE OF MEETING: MINUTES REGULAR: March 1, 2010 AGENDA ITEM 1- Meeting called to order 5:35 pm AGENDA ITEM 2 — Roll Call: All commissioners were present with the exception of Patterson... AGENDA ITEM 3 — Approval of February 1, 2010 Minutes: (See Action Item Below) AGENDA ITEM 4 —Public Participation: none AGENDA ITEM 5 — Police Update: Commander Weinheimer discussed the police stats and mentioned that calls downtown were down 10% from last year. There was an increase in drunks and a decrease in theft from last year. Calls from bars were down considerably from 2009 to 2010. Bike theft is up. Rutherford asked if there was an impact by marijuana dispensaries and Weinheimer responded that there have been calls but not on the blocks of the mall. Dahl questioned if the policy on marijuana has changed and Weinheimer responded that it had not changed. McMullen asked about the Summer Mall Issues meeting on April 8 and wondered about issues or concerns prior to that meeting. Winter clarified that the Summer Mall Issues meeting is an annual event to discuss potential issues for the mall during the summer months. AGENDA ITEM 6 —Parks Update: Martin mentioned that March 1 means spring is on its way and that tulips will bloomlater this year due to the cold weather. Martin continued that it had been mentioned to keep the seasonal holiday lights throughout the year and her investigation with city staff revealed that there is an approval process to have lights up all year and would need a certain type of light for a permanent display. Martin mentioned the three full time staff on the Mall and had obtained approval for three seasonal staff for summer. AGENDA ITEM 7 —BID Update: Maher began with upcoming events: Fashion at the Flatirons -3 /flat the Boulder Theater and hoping to make it an annual event; Taste of Pearl is April 25` up and down Pearl Street and looking to make this an annual event; Downtown Community Exchange is March 16 and Conor O'Neiis will cater; Small Business Development Center informational meeting on March 16 and will have a retail and a restaurant expert for specialized help; Retail Assessment and Recruitment Effort to be proactive on retail recruitment; there will be a change of marketing strategy including 39 weeks of full page ads; will be advertising in 5280 Magazine and began in the most recent issue that highlighted the Best Restaurants in Denver with five restaurants located in Boulder; finalizing the contract with KBCO; new banners are going up this week; and, the Visitors Center open now Noon to 4pm, 7 days a week. Rutherford questioned a newsletter survey and Maher answered that it was trying to determine those who were actively interested. Dahl questioned if DBI has contacted new retailers about joining DBI and Maher replied that Swiss Army Knife plans to join. Winter mentioned that an annual report for downtown meeting is later this week as a joint project with DBI, BID and DMC to format and trap benchmark issues. The Citywide Shopping Local Messaging meeting, last Friday, was discussed. AGENDA ITEM 8— Matters from the Commissioners: McMullen mentioned the five 2010 DMC goals and priorities from the Retreat and suggested that a lead person or chair be chosen to own a goal and be responsible for it, set its goals, work plan, meetings, and be able to show measurable progress at the next Retreat. Koval mentioned concern for layering and that it could be inefficient. Dahl questioned what resources and tools are available to reach her goal. McMullen offered that if Dahl would like to have an event, start with Winter, Maher and Cunningham. Koval voiced that DMC should focus on the tasks that we can make happen and events should be secondary. Koval agreed with Dahl that younger people need to get involved. McMullen would like to focus on Civic Use Center. Rutherford mentioned he favored the Downtown Green Committee but would relinquish it if another DMC member felt more strongly about it. Winter offered that Increase Business Activity encompasses marketing, economics and operations that are subcommittees that DBI staffs and manages, and it might be wise to cluster some committees together such as Parking Task Force and Public Safety and/or Finance/Budget and Economic Development. Winter commented that she would like to have someone on the Downtown Improvement Task Force. Dahl revealed that she attends the marketing meetings as a listener more so than an active participant. McMullen suggested that at the next marketing meeting suggest that DMC is supporting a Young Person's Event and also bring issues to the meeting and find out what we they want to get it going; Koval noted the events are held by other and we want to drive events to happen; Winter suggested that the Chamber has a group that is under 40, go to that group and see if they can tag along on the event; Maher commented that the owner of Elephant wanted to do a regular event aimed at the 20 — 41 market; Rutherford mentioned that he would like to see Dahl's vision and get it to work within the system. McMullen discussed the Civic Task Force and that it was centered around the opportunity and producing a video that shows Boulder's visionary legacy with CU, Chautauqua, Dushanbe, etc., and the Civic Use Pad is another opportunity for Boulder to be visionary. Winter will send materials regarding market sectors downtown, Task force members will be going out to do `one on ones' to gather feedback in order to identify common themes and discuss them at the April meeting. Koval questioned what ideas have been kicked around. Winter mentioned the criteria as edgy, innovative and that there are performance criteria, i.e. Chautauqua was a citizen generated idea and ask for ideas from creative community members. Koval questioned the building envelope and wondered if it could change. McMullen brought up the financial incentive to the task force. Winter mentioned upcoming meetings with principals of downtown schools. Koval toured the Casey facility and commented that it is state of the art and that the International Film Festival may inquire to use it next year. AGENDA ITEM 9— Matters from the Staff: Winter commented on the PowerPoint presentation in the packet and with a statewide focus on constitutional amendments. Bob Eichem will present at the April DMC meeting and discuss the impacts to Boulder. Downtown Improvement Plan Task Force will meet and focus on what projects would be submitted to the city budget. Winter mentioned the Board and Commission survey and its importance to City Council. Commissioners questioned what to answer and the response is to answer those questions you are comfortable answering. Cunningham discussed Cafd Seating meeting and that a permit for cafe seating will notrequire a permit but will need additional insurance. Matthews mentioned that three garage projects are underway; Randolph Center has door cut and elevator will be delayed to make plaza ADA accessible, restructuring the entrance to garage for greater accessibility; planting in early April; St. Julien— cracks are being focused; external painting at RTD almost complete; next will be l I" and Spruce with the stairways being addressed first. No major closures are anticipated per Matthews. Landrith is compiling inventory of downtown green initiatives. Carbon footprint by EcoPass was discussed and how much is being saved. Landrith mentioned that the LEDs are 95% more efficient than traditional lighting; EcoPass distribution is only Mondays now from Noon to 4pm with 3500 to 3600 issued out of the 6000 pick up rate. Meeting adjourned at 6: 56 pm — Dahl motioned for adjournment. All commissioners were in favor. ACTION ITEMS: MOTION: Rutherford motioned to approve the February 1, 2010 meeting minutes. Dahl seconded. Approved unanimously by all commissioners. FUTURE MEETINGS: April 5, 2010 Council Chambers Regular Meeting 5:30 D.M. APPROVED BY: DOWNTOWN MANAGEMENT COMMISSION Attest: If " ` / Ruth Weiss, Secretary Matt McMullen, Chair