Loading...
Draft Minutes - Downtown Management Commission - February 1, 2010 CITY OF BOULDER, COLORADO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES FORM NAME OF BOARD/COMMISSION: DOWNTOWN MANAGEMENT COMMISSION NAME/TELEPHONE OF PERSON PREPARING SUMMARY Ruth Weiss--303-413-7318 NAMES OF MEMBERS, STAFF, AND INVITED GUESTS PRESEN'T': BOARD MEMBERS: DAHL (absent), KOVAL, MCMULLEN, PATTERSON, RUTHERFORD (absent) STAFF: WINTER, JOBERT, WEISS, MATTHEWS, LANDRITH, MARTIN, WEINHEIMER, CUNNINGHAM GUEST: DAVE ADAMS TYPE OF MEETING: MINUTES REGULAR: February 1, 2010 AGENDA ITEM 1- Meeting called to order 5:36 pm AGENDA ITEM 2 - Roll Call: All commissioners were present. AGENDA ITEM 3 - Approval of December 7, 2009 Minutes: (See Action Item Below) AGENDA ITEM 4- Public Participation: none AGENDA ITEM 5 -Police Update: Commander Weinheimer discussed the police stats. Dnmkrcports and trespasses were up for January. There has been a concentrated effort with the garages. "Trespassing was also up for December particularly due to the cold. Patterson questioned the City of Boulder budget cuts and Wcinheimer replied that the 2010 budget has the same number of officers as the year before, AGENDA ITEM 6 - Parks Update: Martin commented that engineers are working on the remodel of the family area. Martin continued that some bricks will be pulled up on the 1100 block and 1326 to deal with fire suppression needs. Thirty-one trees are scheduled to be planted and the Forestry division will monitor them. Winter questioned new tree grates and guards. Martin replied that it was going to happen and that not all trees will have grates. McMullen questioned the watering method. Martin responded that it takes 3 years for a tree to take and the Forestry division will monitor. All empty trees and grates will be done first. Patterson questioned the impact on the mall stores of tree plantings. Martin stated that planting does not take that long and all businesses have been advised. Tree plantings will happen in mid-March and should be done the end of March, weather permitting. AGENDA ITEM 7 - BID Update: Adams commented that tree watering is tough and he has not heard any retailer complain about new trees. February 11 thru 14`h is the Boulder International Film Festival. There will be a sidewalk sale at the same time. March 11 is a fashion show at the Boulder Theater. Taste of Pearl will be on April 25. Adams continued that there is a new downtown Boulder map and new Pearl Street banners will go up in February. Downtown Magazine will not be produced this year but a downtown interactive map will be done. Adams continued with issues on snow removal and that 90% of the retailers are doing a great job. Adams voiced that a contingent is being investigated. Adams continued that seasonal lighting is being revamped and options to be discussed this summer. New ambassador and operation staff uniforms are online. Matt, DBI, will begin distributing his card to businesses when he removes graffiti so they can see what DBI does. A restaurant liaison/hospitality position is being considered to address this particular segment of the mall. Refurbishing of the Visitor's Center discussed. AGENDA I'T'EM 8-Matters from the Commissioners: McMullen checked that City Council received the letter regarding the DMC priorities and Winter confirmed. Patterson commented that the priorities should reflect "Increase Business Activity Downtown" as the first goal for the cormnission. Patterson continued with the need to support CU Downtown cooperation, CU conference center support, and support efforts to attract office occupancy using available assets to get offices filled, and support selection and appeal of retailers on the mall. Patterson motioned that these three items be included in the priorities. Koval agreed with Patterson and commented that increasing business activity is number one and sustainable maintenance and improvement of the mall need to be a focus. Winter mentioned that no prioritization was made with the order of the priorities and it needs to be done with all commissioners present. McMullen suggested that the matrix be reviewed by the commissioners for comment by the next meeting. Civic Use Task Force Update: McMullen met with the Boulder Music Alliance and Bruce Porcelli who is engaged in the process to bring the traveling exhibit from the Natural History Museum. There is a concept paper being created and it will be distributed. A networking outreach group contact list is being revised and then contact efforts will be initiated to interview the community to get similar feedback, AGENDA ITEM 9- Matters from the Staff: Landrith commented on the EcoPass program with 3302 passes distributed to date. Downtown Green Committee meeting last week was well attended; goals paralleled DMC goals; Landrith will be meeting the executive director of the Colorado Garden Show and looking into a grant proposal with an August submission date. Visitors Center has been visited by Xcel Energy with recommendations to blanket the hot water heater and sent to Michael Bittner to make recommendations happen. Landrith continued that wattage would be reviewed to find the carbon reduction. Branding was discussed and will be talking with Terry Takata-Smith for ideas. Cunningham stated that the scores on the carts offered no one new and will start again in 2011. Increasing cart fees was discussed. Cunningham continued that our fees are similar to those in Denver and no increase was recommended. Last year there were five finalists and three carts. Winter commented DUHMD/PS will be a sponsor of the Boulder International Film Festival and there will be a staff meeting on Thursday regarding cafe seating. Winter continued that she will be planning an outreach to city staff and partners downtown; with parking sustainability and what is the role that parking plays in the three priorities and how to balance them. Matthews updated the garages: renovations are at three garages Randolph Center with Eklund group, St Julien with water mitigation on the south wall; currently painting RTD with sandblasters removing rust, working diligently with the good weather. Matthews has been working with contractors financially. Jobert mentioned that DUIIMD/PS is a sponsor of the ice rink; sponsor of RIFF with our logo on everything and a parking coupon will be available. Jobert mentioned that the coupons provided an 8 - 10% return. Jobert commented that we will be $500,000 under budget. Jobert mentioned that Borders should increase parking revenue. Koval mentioned talking with new tenants and that they had no idea about the parking situation at the garages thus suggesting that the landlords and tenants be approached with permit and parking information. Door to door technique of informational flyers was discussed. Winter mentioned the DMC opening. Meeting adjourned at 6:45 pm - Koval motioned for adjournment. Paterson seconded. All commissioners were in favor. ACTION I"TEMS: MOTION: Patterson motioned to approve the December 7, 2009 meeting minutes with approved revisions. Koval seconded. Approved unanimously by all commissioners. FUTURE MEETINGS: March 1, 2009 Council Chambers Regular Meeting 5:30 p.m. APPROVED BY: DOWNTOWN MANAGEMENT COMMISSION Matt McMullen, Chair Attest: Ruth Weiss, Secretary