Loading...
Minutes - BJAD Parking and Travel - 10/12/2011 CITY OF BOULDER, COLORADO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES FORM NAME OF BOARD/COMMISSION: BOULDER JUNCTION ACCESS DISTRICT - PARKING COMMISSION AND TRAVEL DEMAND MANAGEMENT (TDM) COMMISSION NAME/TELEPHONE OF PERSON PREPARING SUMMARY: Ruth Weiss-303-413-7318 NAMES OF MEMBERS, STAFF, AND INVITED GUESTS PRESENT: BOARD MEMBERS: KOVAL, PAWLOWSKI, PEDERSEN, SHANAHAN, SUTHERLAND STAFF: WINTER, MATTHEWS, WEISS, LLANES, HADDOCK GUESTS: TYPE OF MEETING: Off-Site October 12, 2011 AGENDA ITEM 1- Roll Call: Meeting called to order at 8:12 a.m. AGENDA ITEM 2 - Approval of the July 21, 2011 Joint Meeting Minutes (Action Item Below) AGENDA ITEM 3 - Public Participation: None AGENDA ITEM 4 - Public Hearing and Consideration of a Motion to Recommend to City Council the Boulder Junction Access District Parking and TDM 2012 Budgets: Winter provided clarification of the recommendation process to city council and the budget was discussed. Parking revenues sources are general fund and hope to collect Neighborhood Parking Program (NPP) and on street meter revenues. Funds will be used for parking and administrative personnel. TDM has pilot fees, payment in lieu of taxes that come in from taxpayers. Pawlowski questioned the pilot fees. Winter replied that as building projects open, TDM services would immediately be needed, such services arc bike share and EcoPasses. Funds are based on property taxes which are always collected in arrears. Budget is all dependent on building projects as they are completed. The budget is reflective of what is anticipated to happen. Koval questioned potential projects and 3100 Pearl was the main project anticipated along with Depot Square. Winter continued that until projects come in, the budget will be modified. Property taxes are assessed at 5 mils for both districts, are being collected and will be paid in 2012. Winter continued that is like a "sample budget." Winter will address council questions regarding the budget. Haddock continued that no money can be spent unless it is appropriated. It is easier to have the funds determined in advance. Based on development projections of EPS and if the projects are sped up, the budget will be too. Pederson questioned personnel and the fees projected for meters. Winter continued that Pearl Parkway is being redesigned and this is a sample budget until decisions are made and concrete. Koval questioned the excess funds if not used and Winter commented that is stays in the fund balance. The Pollard property taxes were discussed. Koval questioned the pilot funds on upcoming projects. Haddock offered that there is a formula. Winter continued that start up has challenges, the parking district has upfront expenses. TDM has easy calculations. Pedersen moved to approve the motion with Sutherland seconding. All commissioners from both commissions approved unanimously, Winter mentioned that if a commissioner is interested on being on a Joint Budget Committee to advise. AGENDA ITEM 5- Matters from the Commissioners: Pedersen offered that the Depot.Square project goes to the Planning Board next Tuesday. Hotel brand is identified and will be revealed in the near future. Pawlowski asked about the parking with the hotel, Pedersen offered that they would be the owners of the hotel. Matthews asked if the hotel will be open by the bike race next year. Pedersen continued that a restaurant tenant with a music focus is being sought for the Depot. Pedersen offered there is a closing anticipated at the end of month for 3100 and should take 18 to 20 months for completion of construction. The 30'h Street and Walnut project was discussed. Koval questioned RTD approval and Shanahan offered they approved the project last month. Housing project will have 71 housing units and all affordable housing. Winter discussed the district parking with a peer review by Pedersen and Shanahan and that the city is looking for ways to respond to the financing of the garage and how to meet the Tabor requirements. Peer review regarding financial viability will be addressed at the next meeting. Koval mentioned if the amount of parking was concluded and can an agreement be solidified with 3100 Pearl regarding parking funds. Shanahan mentioned that the Depot project and the parking should come on line at the same time. Pedersen commented that an additional 35 spaces may be needed for the housing project. Pedersen oftercd that the hotel will have 150 rooms and 120 spaces are allocated for its use. Distribution of spaces has not yet been determined. Winter mentioned a refined report from Pox Higgins will address parking amounts. Winter mentioned RTD parking and Pedersen mentioned that RTD will manage their own parking and that they will not allow free parking and may issue 90 permits to RTD. RTD wants to charge for parking, but needs to work through the management of parking. Haddock mentioned that RTD does not have the statutory authority to sell parking spaces. Pedersen offered that they could lottery the spaces. Winter mentioned that the district needs to be more involved in the parking with RTD. Sutherland offered that there will be continued interest in the spaces. Pedersen revealed that the condominium agreement will have a declaration on the management. The number of spaces for RTD was discussed along with the uses of their free spaces and to whom. Winter offered that the Neighborhood Parking Program would be created as well. Finances, condominium agreements, management agreements, RTD's role and desires, and revenues all need to be analyzed. Shanahan offered that the EPS figures were on track. Pedersen mentioned that there will be a cost sharing process for the maintenance of the garages and common areas that will be determined in the condominium agreement. Koval questioned if the city would back any shortfall. Haddock did not know if the city will back it. Hypothetical scenarios and assumptions on the parking and revenues were discussed; managing the risk and bonding were commented. Staffing and personnel were discussed. Pawlowski questioned Winter on the Streets Project. Winter replied that there is a shared street concept where modes mix, Pearl Parkway is being redesigned and how to approach street design that is pedestrian friendly, along with creating streets with alternative modes. AGENDA ITEM 6 Matters from the Staff: Koval questioned the Steel Yards Outreach and that there is a meeting tonight and would like the concerns and misconceptions to be addressed. Concerns included renters versus owners, Winter would attend for parking and planning should also be involved. Winter mentioned that there will be overflow with Neighborhood Parking Program (NPP) to be offered. Neighborhood pass program would be beneficial per Koval. Meeting adjourned at 9:32 a.m. ACTION ITEMS: MOTION: Pawlowski motioned to approve the July 12, 2011 meeting minutes. Shanahan seconded and all commissioners were in favor. MOTION: Pedersen motioned to recommend to City Council the Boulder Junction Access District Parking and TDM 2012 Budgets. Sutherland seconded the motion. All commissioners were in favor. FUTURE MEETINGS: January 11, 2012 3391 Valmont Conference Room Off Site Meeting APPROVED BY: BOULDER JUNCTION ACCESS DISTRICT PARKING C0.N11II.SSI0N-.ANO-TyTAVEL DEMAND MA`AGENIEN ' N1) COMMISSION o 'i. 'hair,'!' i Scots Pedersen, Chair, Parking Attest: Ruth Weiss, Secretary 2