Loading...
02.14.24 POP MinutesBoulder Police Oversight Panel (BPOP) Mee�ng Minutes February 14, 2024 In atendance: Panel members: Hadasa Villalobos, Victor King, Lizzie Friend, Jason Savela, Mylene Vialard, Soledad Diaz, Arlete Barlow, Bwembya “Chiko” Chikowla. City Staff: Sherry Daun (IPM). Selena Duenas (CMO). I. Approval January 14, 2024, BPOP Mee�ng Minutes a. Mr. King mo�oned to approve. Ms. Vialard seconded, approved. II. Commitee Updates a. Community Engagement i. Ms. Vialard gave the update of this subcommitee that she and Ms. Diaz met with NAACP members, Annet James, Jude Landsman and Darren O’Connor. She men�oned they met to listen to their concerns. Some of their concerns were: i. POP ge�ng trainings from BPD and how POP should counterbalance talking to those who are affected by the police, ii. They expressed concern about Interim Chief of Police, Stephen Redfern, being the next Chief of Police because of his background with APD (Aurora Police Department), iii. They would like to see more data on use of force specifically the average of use of force on the number of individualized police officers on duty, iv. They recommend to the Panel to read into ar�cles in Westworld and do more research as what happened in Aurora, CO, v. They want POP to meet with La�nx groups and other communi�es regarding their opinion about Redfearn, vi. They asked for POP to inves�gate whether they are allowed to assign a community liaison to voice the concerns of the community. a) Mr. Chikolwa ques�oned how the community liaison would work and that the “community liaison” is the community members who par�cipate in public comment towards the end of their public mee�ngs. b) Ms. Vialard answers that she disagrees because of BPD being able to watch POP public mee�ngs and how the liaison would not have a place to talk at great length since community members are only allowed two minutes to speak during public comment. She men�ons she understood this request to be that they would have a place on the panel to voice their concerns and report back to different community groups. c) Ms. Friend asks if they would be a non-vo�ng member and Ms. Vialard answers that they would be a non-vo�ng member. d) Ms. Diaz believes that the panel are the community members, and it would be difficult but thinks they can provide space. e) Mr. King thinks that the Panel are community liaisons and feels as if this request is disempowering to the voices that they bring. He men�ons that there is a NAACP member who is Madelyn Woodley Stro ng and she hasn’t brought up any concerns. Lastly, he expresses his concern about this closed mee�ng with NAACP without any open invita�on to the panel. f) The panel has a spirited discussion about closed mee�ngs with community groups and whether the other panelists should be involved. i. The panel requests the City Atorney’s office to clarify the Colorado Open Act and Open Records Act (CORA, OML) and closed mee�ngs. ii. The subcommitee has been advised to wait un�l the March 2nd, 2024 mee�ng. b. Legacy update i. Mr. Chikolwa gave the update of this subcommitee that they had met with BPD Data Analyst, Daniel Reinhard, and that the panelists had requested that Mr. Reinhard provide data on juvenile interac�on. Mr. Reinhard provided the data and answered some ques�ons that the panel had for him regarding the data. ii. Ms. Friend men�oned that Mr. Reinhard was open to what data he is analyzing, what data he looks at, what data sets, and if the panel can possibly have access to help with some of the ques�ons they may have. Ms. Friend men�oned that in their next mee�ng they plan to design a rough work plan for the next few months of what data they want to look at with Mr. Reinhard. She invited the panel to gather some thoughts and ques�ons as to what data they want to see. Ms. Vialard shares that she will share requests made by the NAACP. iii. The next Legacy mee�ng is February 22nd, 2024 at 6:00PM via Zoom. c. Governance update i. Ms. Villalobos gave the update of this subcommitee that they have invited consultant, Farah Muscadin, and the recommenda�ons she has for the ordinance change and what discrepancies they saw and what they might need. She invited the Panel to join the subcommitee as Ms. Strong Woodley will be the only member on this subcommitee. III. Elec�ons and Commitee assignments a. Ms. Daun shares that the elec�on for Co-Chair will occur in next month’s All Panel Mee�ng in March. Mr. King men�ons that it is an open vote and if any other panelist wants to run for Co-Chair, they are welcome to. Ms. Villalobos men�ons that they normally wait for March so new panelists can par�cipate in vo�ng and as to anyone who wants to run, they give a small summary and why they are interested. b. Ms. Friend asks whether they nominate themselves or if they can suggest another panelist. Ms. Villalobos men�ons that there should be communica�on prior to nomina�ng another person. c. Ms. Vialard requests that the panel know who is nominated or who is running for Co- Chair prior to the mee�ng so they can process. Ms. Villalobos suggests that there to be a poll for the panel to vote whether they are interested in it and for it to be only viewed by the Co-Chairs. IV. March Panel retreat/meetup a. Ms. Duenas gave the update of the poll that the panel had voted on for the dates of the retreat, majority vote was for March 9th from 12-3PM and community engagement would take over the planning process. Ms. Vialard asked whether the new panelists would commence their terms then. Ms. Daun reassured that the new panelists would begin their terms in March 2024. V. Mee�ng with the Chief conversa�on a. Ms. Friend shared that they went well. b. Ms. Diaz shared that when the invita�on should men�on that the mee�ng is live because it was not understood. Ms. Daun ques�oned whether it was the panel or the public that was confused. Ms. Diaz men�oned that she was not aware that it was live and recorded and that Interim Chief Stephen Redfern was not aware. c. Ms. Vialard shared that it would be nice to limit the answers of the Chief to five minutes. Mr. Savela asked whether a mediator would help monitor the �me. d. Mr. King shared that ques�ons coming from the panel should not come at the last minute and should be shared 48 hours in advance. e. The panel discusses the logis�cs and organiza�on of the next Chief of Police mee�ng. f. Mr. Savela asked whether there was thought of the next Chief of Police mee�ng. Ms. Duenas men�oned that there were two proposed dates and those would be March 18 or 20th (March 2024 – Governance mee�ng may be moved). VI. IPM Report a. Full case file review(s) completed in January 2024: 1 (MI2023-011) b. Full case file review(s) completed and pending BPD disposi�on: 1 (MI2023-011) c. Cases awai�ng Panel review: 2 (MI2023-034, MI2023-025) d. January 2024 Monthly Case Sta�s�cs i. Number of complaints that IPM classified: 4 i. Misconduct: 3 ii. Serious Misconduct: 1 iii. Community Inquiries: 0 iv. Conflict Facilita�on Process: 1 ii. Interviews IPM observed: 5 iii. Cri�cal Incident Scene response: 1 iv. BPD inves�ga�ons IPM deemed thorough and complete: 0 v. Case inves�ga�ons BPD closed: 1 (MI2023-006) e. Open Docket i. As of February 6, 2024, open IPM-BPOP docket: 16 ii. Number of complaints that IPM classified: 4 iii. Timeline of when cases should be inves�gated, range of dura�on of cases iv. Mr. Chikolwa asked what the status of the open docket cases were, Ms. Daun answered that they are at different levels of review and inves�ga�on. Mr. Chikolwa asked if there was a �meline and Ms. Daun explained that the process is that a lot of the complaints a�er the IPM classifies them are sent back to BPD for inves�ga�on and she is not in control of that process a�er that. Mr. Chikolwa adds that there are a lot of cases that are outstanding and thinks there will be a lot of issues of public trust and confidence. Ms. Daun shares that she also shares the same concern and there needs to be aten�on to how long cases are at various stages of inves�ga�on. Ms. Villalobos believes there is terms in the ordinance regarding inves�ga�on dura�on process but will follow up with the panel. f. Independent Police Monitor outreach i. Ms. Daun shared she was a guest speaker at the COB Human Rela�ons Commission mee�ng, atended mul�ple events hosted by the NAACP and University of Colorado Center for African and African Studies (CAAAS), and met one-on-one with leaders in the Bolder area Black community. g. Panel recruitment status i. Ms. Daun updated the panel and received 43 applicants a�er extending the deadline. The advisory commitee selected 15, interviewed 12 in person on Saturday February 10th and 3 via teams on Monday February 12th. There will be a report sent to City Manager, Nuria, by February 23rd to decide on who will fill the student slots, one open panel slot and alternate pool. Mr. King asked who was on the advisory commitee. Ms. Daun men�oned a person from Naropa University, a person from Central Amistad, a person from Boulder Valley School District, a current panel member, a former panel member and a person who was formerly unhoused and will be working as a Life Support Coach. h. March 2 training i. Ms. Daun reminds the panel regarding the March 2nd training for current panelists to atend and will be sending out an agenda and training schedule. i. BPD portal for body worn camera (BWC) i. Ms. Daun has been persuading BPD and the City Manager regarding BPD to have a portal of body worn camera (BWC) for complaints and BPD commited to do that work and are looking into the logis�cs. Ms. Daun thinks it is very exci�ng for transparency that BWC will be available to the public, specifically in the cases where there are allega�ons of misconduct. ii. Ms. Vialard asks Ms. Daun if there is a �meframe for when this will be complete. Ms. Daun answers that there is a state law that controls the �meline and criminal cases are ongoing. 1 iii. Ms. Vialard asks if the panel has access to review the body worn camera prior to being published to the public and Ms. Daun does not have expecta�ons of the panel being able to review the footage prior. VII. Vo�ng on cases (x4) a. SM2024-001: 6-1 1 E Q"E qf g"“ "46 /53/; 24"*4244+ i. Mr. Savela, Ms. Vialard, and Ms. Friend would like to volunteer to review this case. b. MI2024-001: 6-1 i. Ms. Diaz, Ms. Vialard, and Ms. Friend would like to volunteer to review this case. c. MI2024-002: 4-2 i. Mr. King would like to volunteer to review this case and other panelists will be assigned to review this case. Panelists not in atendance can email the co-chairs if they are interested in reviewing this case. ii. d. MI2024-003: 7-0 i. Mr. Savela, Ms. Diaz, and Mr. Chikolwa would like to volunteer to review this case. e. Ms. Daun added that she inquired at the City Atorney’s office because of the current process to vote without conversa�on. The City Atorney agreed for POP to have summaries a�er the mee�ng was closed to the public so the panel could ask some ques�ons and get more insights into the cases. The panel discusses the current restric�ons of the bylaws, will be speaking on this change at the next Governance mee�ng and future logis�cs when vo�ng occurs in virtual mee�ngs. VIII. Public comment a. One panel member was present in person. i. Lynn Segal was present, she spoke concerns about Officer Tally, his speeding, and pulling the gun on a community member. A conflict with Lisa Sweeney Miran being tossed and expresses that she is very an�-police. She would like BPD to be more transparent about what they are doing when asked. She is angry about her bag being stolen at the Penfield Tate and how the situa�on was handled. She asks the POP to recommend City Council to have a public hearing on Pales�ne. She asks for restora�ve jus�ce and community policing in Boulder. i. Ms. Vialard adds that POP spoke with Interim Chief of Police about restora�ve jus�ce and believes this is to occur in the future.