Loading...
07.13.2020 TAB Minutes FINALDRAFT TAB Minutes July 13, 2020 Page 1 of 4 CITY OF BOULDER BOULDER, COLORADO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES Name of Board/ Commission: Transportation Advisory Board Date of Meeting: July 13, 2020 Contact Information Preparing Summary: Meredith Schleske 303.441.3204 Board Members Present: Tila Duhaime; Mark McIntyre, Alex Weinheimer, Robert Hutchinson, Lauren Lambert Staff Present: Bill Cowern, Deputy Director for Transportation and Mobility, Interim Director for Transportation and Mobility, Acting Principal Transportation Engineer Natalie Stiffler, Deputy Director for Transportation and Mobility Gerrit Slatter, Principal Transportation Engineer for Capital Works Chris Hagelin, Senior Transportation Planner, Acting GO Boulder Manager David “DK” Kemp, Senior Transportation Planner Amy Lewin, Senior Transportation Manager Ryan Noles, Transportation Planner Jenny Godwin, Associate Transportation Planner Graham Clark, Budget/Financial Analyst Meredith Schleske, Board Secretary Type of Meeting: Advisory/ Regular Agenda Item 1: Call to Order [6:05 p.m.] Instructions to Virtual Meeting Participants (not an agenda item) – Brenda Ritenour, meeting host reviewed rules and technical operations on the virtual platform. Agenda Item 2: Approval of June 2020 Minutes [6:10 p.m.] Motion: Approval of June 2020 Minutes with spelling correction from Belmont to Valmont Motion: Hutchinson Second: McIntyre 5:0 Motion Passes. Agenda Item 3: Public Comment [6:10 p.m.] • Stephen Haydel – there is an intersection that is going to have a protective left arrow installed, but only part- time. We fought a few years ago to get Canyon and Folsom a protective left arrow and did, but only during the busy parts of the day. Then engineers and planners examined data showing that left arrows are safer than blinking flashing yellow. Now it’s a policy question of obtaining protected left arrows 24/7, especially at night with more impaired drivers and cyclists harder to see. Update signals policy to reflect that protected left arrow is safer for all users. It goes with Vision Zero focus on safety over speed. • Lynn Segal – requests response regarding 6th Street and Dewey. We have too many rules, little substance left. Meetings should be videoed, public should be allowed to comment later in the meeting. Transportation is very visual; CU South development will have a huge impact but we are shouting into the void. TAB Chair expressed appreciation for comments, they are heard, all meeting material is saved and available. Agenda Item 4: Monthly Update [6:20 p.m.] A. COVID-19 Staff Update Bill Cowern made the update to the board. Welcome to Natalie Stiffler on her first day as Deputy Director for Transportation and Mobility. She will be more involved with GO Boulder and Capital Improvement Program (CIP); Cowern with traffic operations, street maintenance and the airport. COVID has greatly impacted tax revenue, hence transportation funding and staffing. Budget office considers that we are in recession if not worse, slow recovery, 2021 may be worse. Staff submitted four Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) grant applications: • Signage to close 19th Street and Violet on south end through Boulder Meadows • Similar for four other locations including Ithica and Martin Drive, each of which have schools and shared streets • More permanent and colorful dining barricades • University Hill landscaping plan and alleys more amenable to pedestrian travel Staff submitted three Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG) grant applications: • Protected bike lanes on 30th Street from Arapahoe to Colorado and connection to protected intersection under construction DRAFT TAB Minutes July 13, 2020 Page 2 of 4 • Reconstruction of 28th Street and Colorado intersection, allowing travel lanes on Colorado to be repurposed for transit lanes • Additional funding for reconstructing traffic signals with traffic signal heads to allow changes in left turn phasing TAB Comments • Appreciation of staff nimbleness in applying to the type of grants TAB has been advocating. • Question regarding current traffic counts. • Inquiry about dining barricades. B. Safe Streets Boulder - Vision Zero Action Plan - email, memo only [6:37 p.m.] TAB Comments • Kudos expressed on speed to put up signs. Great job, lots of public appreciation. Agenda Item 5: Community Check-in [6:41 p.m.] A. Greenstreet crossing at Canyon versus Pedestrian Crossing Treatment Plan moving forward for 2020 includes improvements along Grove Street (15th to 23rd), 23rd Street (Grove to Mapleton), plus installation of flashing crosswalk at 23rd Street and Canyon. B. Sight lines obstructed by overgrowth in swale along parts of Table Mesa Cowern noted that it is a natural urban floodway; overgrowth was quickly addressed by Urban Flood Control District. TAB Comments • Question whether TAB can help with signal crossing policy. • Comment that VZ 20 is Plenty signs provide another opportunity for a letter to editor and/or outreach. • Comments regarding letter questioning TAB’s role in land use and the East Boulder Subcommunity Plan, noted that it does not include plan review. • Comments regarding clarity of speed markings from 25 m.p.h. to 20 m.p.h. on Pine and Mapleton, painted bike lane on one side of Harvard. Agenda Item 6: Public hearing and TAB feedback regarding Draft 2021-2026 Transportation Capital Improvement Projects (CIP) (Part III of III) [7:08 p.m.] Gerrit Slatter made the report to the board. Executive Summary As staff has discussed with the Transportation Advisory Board (TAB) at recent board meetings and a workshop, the city goes through an annual budget process in which departments create a six-year Capital Improvement Program (CIP). The work effort this year covers the time period of 2021 through 2026. The TAB role in this process is defined in the Boulder Revised Code (BRC) TITLE 2 GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION, Chapter 3 Boards and Commissions, Section 14 - Transportation Advisory Board; “. . . to review all city transportation environmental assessments and capital improvements.” The funding situation for the Transportation Department is of vital importance to the planning and programming of the CIP process for 2020/21 and beyond. In addition to the impact of COVID-19 pandemic, there are other background factors that are reducing the ability of the Transportation Department to fund and deliver programs and projects consistent with the goals and objectives of the Transportation Master Plan (TMP). Starting in 2020 and likely continuing for the next few years, the impact COVID-19 will have on Transportation funding will be severe to many programs and projects. When accounting for inflation, sales tax revenue has been flat in Boulder for nearly 20 years. Because sales tax funds nearly 70% of Transportation, and because construction cost indexes have been outpacing inflation rates, this has led to reduced spending power and reduced opportunities for matching federal/state grant funds. The funding outlook and condition of the transportation funds are discussed in greater detail in the Background/Analysis section. TAB Clarifying Questions • Questions regarding continuance of renewed vision for transit, downtown Boulder Transit Station, reduced demand for transit during COVID quarantine and impact going forward. • Inquiries about scope and treatments for Boulder Creek path enhancements, crosswalk at Aurora and Evans. • Questions about $2.4 million (M) HOP bus expansion, service times and ridership capacity during quarantine. • Queries regarding Lehigh bike facility and forecast over 30 years, timeframe for 15th Street and Iris crosswalk. Public Comment [7:46 p.m.] • Sue Prant, Executive Director Community Cycles – Thanks for getting 20 is Plenty signs up and applying for grants quickly. Recommend looking how to best leverage funds rather than always going after most money, DRAFT TAB Minutes July 13, 2020 Page 3 of 4 hope it continues. Also asking that CIP funds adapt to budget, have ability to flex to best wisdom of the time to ensure safer designs, question if VZ Flex Fund can be part of this CIP. •Lynn Segal – Regarding 6th Street and Dewey, this depression is permanent, should change to agile solutions, weigh in with other boards including regarding hotel on the Hill. Concerning CU South, students will not be there. Recommend alternative 6 - dredge out the stream, no dams. About downtown transit center, stop the hemorrhaging. Transit improvements are archaic – should be small vans, rideshare. Appreciation expressed to members of public for listening and weighing in. TAB Discussion •Comments that transportation projects are too siloed, spread too thin, challenging time for staff. Table Mesa Overpass Project is too expensive, we are missing middle ground of $1-2M projects like curbwork, lane maintenance, additional complete streets. Need to work on arterial speed management, be more flexible, do pedestrian improvements opportunistically. Get rid of un-useful transportation “hardware”, replace with desirable hardware. •Questions regarding possibility of bucketing funds for different categories such as maintenance and enhancement together, cost to move Table Mesa curbs five feet, possibility of reserves, how to find ways to pivot funds. Staff Recommendation Staff recommends TAB consider the following motion: TAB recommends approval of the proposed 2021-2026 Transportation Fund and Transportation Development Fund CIP which supports the vision and goals of Boulder’s Transportation Master Plan. Move: Duhaime Second: McIntyre Vote: 5-0: Motion Passes Agenda Item 7: Matters [8:44 p.m.] A.Matters from Staff/Non-Agenda •Regional studies update - Hagelin •SH119 Multimodal Corridor Planning/Regional Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Study – Still working on it, no update. •SH7 Multimodal Corridor Planning/Regional BRT Study - Happy to have staff back to focus on some of these projects; will be moving ahead with the master plan for 55th Street and Arapahoe. •City Council approved dockless bikeshare system ordinance, working on request for proposal (RFP). B.Matters from the Board [9:10 p.m.] •TAB feedback to TAB Greenways Advisory Board (GAC) representative (McIntyre) regarding Greenways Capital Investment Program (CIP) Budget – meeting is 8/19/2020. Cowern commented that transportation is considering recommendation to forego 2020 contribution to GAC CIP. •Vision Zero Community Partnership Committee – Duhaime reported discussion of 2020 greenways realignment, $250,000 allocation of $700,000 VZ flex fund for rapid implementation items among the three focus areas: general traffic calming, curb extensions, crossing treatments. Also presentation of county traffic crash data. Motor vehicle counts in city have dropped as have crashes. No breathalyzers mandated during current quarantine. •Pedestrian Action Committee – Duhaime reported that staff applied for and received gold award for 2020 Walk Friendly Communities, will be considering protected intersection treatment at Pine and Folsom. •VZ Funding Advisory Committee to be revived. TAB comment that it is a good time to do so; more capacity to do so with some staff off furlough. Dependence on tax revenue is not sustainable. •Open Board Comment •Hutchinson discussion with Jonathan Koehn, Chief Sustainability and Resilience Officer – broad-ranging conversation to explore connections with transportation, will have information next month. Agenda Item 8: Future Agenda Topics [9:01 p.m.] •More interaction with Community Vitality – Access Management and Parking Strategy (AMPS) including community working group. Consider who from TAB will serve as representative. •TAB members should forward other ideas to Chair before 7/17/2020. Agenda Item 9: Adjournment [9:04 p.m.] DRAFT TAB Minutes July 13, 2020 Page 4 of 4 There being no further business to come before the board at this time, by motion regularly adopted, the meeting was adjourned at 9:04 p.m. Motion: Moved to adjourn: McIntyre Second: Hutchinson Motion passes 5:0 Date, Time, and Location of Next Meeting: The next meeting will be a regular virtual meeting on Monday, August 10, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. unless otherwise decided by staff and the Board. APPROVED BY: ATTESTED: ___________________________________ ____________________________________ Board Chair Board Secretary ___________________________________ ____________________________________ Date Date An audio recording of the full meeting for which these minutes are a summary is available on the Transportation Advisory Board web page. Tila Duhaime per attached email Meredith Schleske 8/28/2020 8/28/2020 From:Tila Duhaime To:Schleske, Meredith Subject:Re: PLEASE CONFIRM: Revisions to July TAB Minutes Date:Friday, August 28, 2020 11:46:03 PM Hi Meredith, thank you for following up on this. I approve the minutes as revised. Tila On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 3:55 PM Schleske, Meredith <SchleskeM@bouldercolorado.gov> wrote: Hi Tila, Here are revised July TAB minutes per Alex’s notes (item VI.) Please email your authorization to sign them if you approve. Thanks, Meredith From: Alex Weinheimer <alexjweinheimer@gmail.com> Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 1:45 PM To: Schleske, Meredith <SchleskeM@bouldercolorado.gov> Cc: Tila Duhaime <tilabouldertab@gmail.com> Subject: Re: PLEASE CONFIRM: Revisions to July TAB Minutes External Sender Meredith, I've crossed out the text I advocated removing and added the new text in bold. • Comments that transportation projects are too siloed, spread too thin, challenging time for staff. Folsom segment Table Mesa Overpass Project is too expensive, we are missing middle ground of $1-2M projects like curbwork, lane maintenance, additional complete streets. Need to work on arterial speed management, be more flexible, do pedestrian improvements opportunistically. Get rid of un-useful transportation “hardware”, replace with desirable hardware. • Questions regarding possibility of bucketing funds for different categories such as maintenance and enhancement together, cost to move Moorhead Table Mesa curbs five feet, possibility of reserves, how to find ways to pivot funds. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you, Alex On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 3:25 PM Schleske, Meredith <SchleskeM@bouldercolorado.gov> wrote: Hi Alex, Is this correct for the edits to the July TAB minutes? Agenda Item 2: Approval of July 2020 Minutes [6:03 p.m.] Motion: Approval of July 2020 Minutes as revised: Item 6 TAB Discussion 1st bullet from, “Folsom segment is too expensive” to, “Table Mesa has been expensive over the past; Folsom is an example of doing cheaper improvements” 2nd bullet from, “cost to move Moorhead curbs five feet to “cost to move Table Mesa curbs five feet,”. Motion: McIntyre Second: Weinheimer 4:0 Motion Passes. Thanks for your help! And feel free to relay changes in advance of the meeting if easier. With Zoom we now have a written transcript but it’s not always clear, nor are my rough notes. Happy weekend, Meredith Meredith Schleske Administrative Specialist O: 303.441.3204 schleskem@bouldercolorado.gov Transportation & Utilities 1739 Broadway Boulder CO 80302