Loading...
10.02.19 BLC Minutes CITY OF BOULDER BOULDER,COLORADO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES Name of Board/Commission: Library Commission Date of Meeting: October 2,2019 at the George Reynolds Branch Public Library,3595 Table Mesa Dr. Contact information preparing summary: Celia Seaton,303-441-3106 Commission members present: Jane Sykes Wilson, Steven Frost,Juana Gomez Commission members not resent: Tim O'Shea,Joel Koenig Library staff present: David Farnan,Director of Library&Arts Jennifer Phares,Deputy Library Director Celia Seaton,Administrative Specialist City staff present: None Members of the public present:None Type of Meeting: Regular Agenda Item 1: Call to order and approval of agenda 10:00:24 Audio min.] The meeting was called to order and Gomez, acting as chair,asked if there were any changes to the agenda. Farnan noted an additional discussion item under Item 8 regarding an article about e-books. There was a nod of approval from the commission for this agenda. Agenda Item 2: Public comment 10:01:08 Audio min.] None. Agenda Item 3: Consent agenda [0:01:16 Audio min.] a. Approval of September 2019 Meeting Minutes: Gomez asked for comments/additions. She noted a typo needing correction. Frost moved to approve these minutes as amended. Sykes Wilson seconded,and the motion was unanimously approved. Agenda Item 4: Library policy update 10:03:01 Audio min.] a. Review and approve Security Camera Policy—Phares noted that CAO's Janet Michels reviewed the changes and added revisions to the public disclosure to align the policy language with the language in the Colorado statute. Gomez desired clarification around the parties reviewing footage. Phares replied that a select few library staff and security officers have access to the system. Recordings are downloaded to provide to police if they are requested and comply with state library law,typically only if there is a crime captured on the footage. Gomez suggested explication in the policy language. Staff explained that footage is reviewed only in the event of a crime and to capture images of people who get suspended by the library. A member of the public would need to make a formal request,typically denied,to review footage. Phares will consult with Michels on specifying who would be reviewing retaining and saving footage. Gomez,relaying an inquiry from Koenig: do the branches have cameras? Not yet,per staff—by late 2019-early 2020,installation is planned at the other branches. In response to a query from Frost, staff replied that library specific funding will be used to upgrade the cameras at Main and add them to Meadows. Gomez moved to approve this policy contingent upon the additional specificity of the party reviewing,retaining, and potentially saving footage. Sykes Wilson seconded,and the motion was unanimously approved. b. Update on revision of Privacy Policy—staff noted the tracked changes from Michels. Gomez,relaying another question from Koenig: do patrons get notified that someone wants their history? Staff replied that only a judge can be granted this request. If authorities request this history,would library alert patron? Faman doesn't believe there is any such mechanism in place,but no gag order exists that would prevent reaching out to the patron. Gomez recommends adding: "patrons may opt to use these following features..."for the optional library account features. Frost: is it implicit in borrowing that it applies to Overdrive,Hoopla,Kanopy,and other 3`d party vendors(who all have their own policies)? Staff and CAO review these 3 d party contracts. Staff can add a clause that discloses information about 31d party databases. Sykes Wilson moved to approve the Privacy Policy with addition of the above-mentioned sentence. Frost seconded, and the motion passed unanimously. c. Review staff recommended updates to the Meeting Room and Study Room Policies which have not yet been reviewed by CAO. Sykes Wilson wondered about the success of requesting that appropriate groups specify"not a j library sponsored event"on their fliers. Farnan replied that this has worked,overall. Frost noted a typo. Gomez wondered about how the limitation of four hours was established. Staff unsure of the impetus,open to suggestion. Goal is always to make it the most convenient for the public use. Sykes Wilson suggested increasing the number of allowed hours in a month. Gomez asked about the saturation rate of the room occupancy;Farnan believes it is around 67%occupancy with goal of around 80%. Phares will consult with CAO and bring back the hard data on the occupancy rates. Staff will be consulted regarding monthly limitations and any potential technical restrictions. Gomez wondered about adding a clause that the adult signing up youth organization is present"during the scheduled meeting,"not just during the reservation. Discussion of opening the reservation of rooms to those 14 and older. Sykes Wilson,Gomez,and Frost all encouraged lowering the age to 14, as long as it does not present any impediment to staff. Gomez wondered about encouraging people to use recyclab le/compostable items for their refreshments;Phares will look into the City policy about this. Gomez suggested adding"for safety"as reasoning for the maximum capacity postings. Agenda Item 5: Review,input, and approval of the 2020 Library Commissioner application questions and job description [0:54:17 Audio min.] The group discussed the documents provided inap cket which already incorporated Gomez's suggested placement of the bylaws portion. Gomez relayed Koenig's comments on the questionnaire. Seaton will inquire with the Clerk's Office whether the first four questions can be modified(to include"community organizations"for#1 and to replace"Board"with"Commission"for #2). Pertaining to#6 and#8,both Gomez and Koenig wondered whether it would be instructive or destructive to specifically note district; they instead recommend"library funding." Sykes Wilson and Frost agreed,suggesting"proposed future library funding options." Sykes Wilson noted the importance of determining whether or not a candidate has a baseline knowledge of this issue. Frost suggested including a link by the job description that points to archive of past minutes. Gomez proposed striking"manage"in favor of"consider"for#8. Sykes Wilson agreed with this adjustment. Gomez noted the similarity between#1 and#5,recommending that#5 be stricken if it is in the commission's purview to modify#1. Gomez and Frost found issue with the tone of#9 and favor a shift away from language of a"problem"to a more general inquiry about inclusivity in library environment. Frost volunteered to draft a replacement question. On p. 19 of the packet,FAQ: In"other"as opposed to"some"jurisdictions. Also,strike last sentence. Last paragraph, strike"very political positions"in favor of"These positions require a depth and breadth of issues..." Seaton will incorporate the discussed changes to the 2020 Library Commissioner application and send to Frost who volunteered to draft a revision of#9. Agenda Item 6: Discuss priorities for annual letter to City Council [1:18:36 Audio min.] Gomez noted future priorities as library funding,with a specific focus on new north Boulder branch and funding the capital construction. Commission noted one of the negotiating points promised for withdrawal of petition being public discussion of library funding. Gomez,in collaboration with O'Shea,will draft a document to be circulated and discussed at the next meeting. Agenda Item 7: Library Commission Update [1:23:45 Audio min.] a. Interesting upcoming dates from ALA website(seeap cket). b. Items from Commission i. Update on the status of Library Champion's efforts(Gomez/O'Shea) ■ Outreach to council candidates—Celani just withdrew. Would be helpful for a commissioner to connect with Dolan. Frost spoke with Cure who seemed sympathetic to library issues. McIntyre and McCord likewise supportive of library's platform. Commissioners have yet to hear back from candidates Wallach, Swetlik or Joseph. Yates and Julca unsupportive of library district possibility—both feel that library funding is contingent upon other issues. Gomez noted upcoming candidate forum she plans to attend on Oct. 51n ■ Sept. 30`x'budget event at Main by Boulder Library Champions, led by Joni Teter who has done an"amazing job dissecting the City budget"(Gomez). ii. Discussion of City budget/Library budget 2020 and beyond—after receiving an email from city finance department that clarified some ambiguities,the apprehension from commission memo item lb was deemed incorrect. iii. Uptick in interest on Gunbarrel branch—emails to council from Gunbarrel residents requesting action on a branch seem to have increased this momentum. Farnan believes this began as a discussion on NextDoor that resulted in emails sent to City Council. Faman does not believe this is an issue for 2020 as it was not discussed at the first reading of the budget that took place the previous night at the council meeting. He predicts this perhaps planned for the 2022 table. iv. Colorado Association of Libraries(CALCON)Conference 2019—O'Shea represented BPL on the Panel on Strengthening Local Relations: Library Leadership&Government Officials. Organized by Crystal Schimpf of Colorado State Library. Other panelists included Director of Lake County Public Library Brena Smith and Pikes Peak Library.District Former Trustee Kathleen Owings. Farnan and Phares,both in attendance,noted that O'Shea did a"great"job with fruitful discussion and response to query. v. Alpine Balsam update—Gomez noted that this can be removed from the foreseeable agenda. Staff directed to look into zoning regulations which caused community uproar. Massive disinformation campaign by public to sway Alpine Balsam project. On a smaller scale,Faman noted the similar north Boulder library branch disinformation around parking and the need for a road. c. Boulder Library Foundation update—Sykes Wilson reported that BLF retreat next Saturday will look at"bigger picture"strategic planning. The first donation to kick off the capital campaign was made($6,000). Faman reports a tentative marketing campaign in next few months—focused on north Boulder funding. On behalf of BLF, Farnan floated the idea of whether commission would be willing to provide name recognition around the north Boulder branch and Main bathrooms for a donor who provides"significant bite off the identified gap." Gomez thinks naming buildings and wings and such is a good thing-however,she is leery of any blanket response: "public funding is essential to keep the public in public library. Once we start getting corporate,it's uncomfortable." Farnan clarified that anything corporate would require more steps through City Manager and CAO. d. Updates from commissioners representing the commission in other venues—BookRich Environment event—Sykes Wilson and Gomez represented and"loved it." e. Update on emails and phone calls to Library Commission—in pqcket. Agenda Item 8: Library and Arts Director's Report [2:00:40 Audio min.] a. Main Library restroom renovation project—Farnan noted that gender specific restrooms opened yesterday—couple weeks more for the debut of gender inclusive facilities. b. North Boulder branch library project c. Pilot Program Information: Community Court—Faman has requested a complete prospectus on this tentative project; he seeks consultation with commission. He favors a venture which can break down barriers and provide counselling/assistance to those in need. He would oppose heavy security/armed guard. He believes intent is to provide better respect and service to disenfranchised folks. Frost favorable toward this idea;he would be interested in hearing about the impact to the library staff,especially those at the front-line. d. Recap of 5"'Annual Zee Jaipur Literature Festival—Faman reported"amazing content"from another successful event. Music was"phenomenal." Suspects participation level to previous years. e. Follow up on 2020 Library Recommended Budget—staff reported a"pretty innocuous"first reading with many "balls[still] in the air." Transportation,homelessness,and funding for north Boulder library are topics to be discussed in second reading. Municipal door project was the only discussed excision in the first reading. Faman reported a third reading as very likely. f. E-books article in Denver Post regarding circulation data—littps://www.denve!post.com/2019/09/24/denver- library-ebook-waitlist-publishers/. Faman reports BPL's physical materials at a 16%increase,electronic materials at a 58%increase. Thus,e-books apparently not negatively impacting physical material borrowing in Boulder. Faman notes that this article does point to an issue of exorbitant prices for e-books for libraries. He explained the leasing model for e-books;Macmillan is first publisher to introduce restrictions on new books whereby purchasers may only receive a singular copy for the first six months of a book's release. Faman noted this recent action as "totally contrary to best business practices"—many groups will be calling for a boycott of Macmillan Publishers. Sykes Wilson sees the ensuing lending congestion as a potential impediment for"children who would[otherwise] become readers for life." An upcoming alert will link patrons to this information. Agenda Item 9: Adjournment 12:42:04 Audio min.] There being no further business to come before the commission at this time,the meeting was adjourned. Date,time,and location of next meeting: The next Library Commission meeting will be at 6 p.m. on Wednesday,November 6,2019, in the Canyon Meeting Room at the Main Library, 1001 Arapahoe Ave.,Boulder,CO 80302. APPROVED BY: ATTESTED: Board C r' Board Secretary Date Date