Loading...
07.17.19 BJAD Minutes CITY OF BOULDER, COLORADO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES SUMMARY BOULDER JUNCTION ACCESS DISTRICTS—PARKING AND TDM MEETING DATE: July 17, 2019 MEMBERS, STAFF,AND INVITED GUESTS PRESENT: Board Members: TDM: Hyde-Wright, Prant, Knapp, Bush Parking: Prant, Knapp, Bush Staff: Jones, Woulf, Dammann, Yates, Hagelin, Rutsch, Stafford PERSON PREPARING SUMMARY: Rachel Dammann, 303-441-4191 Meeting opened at 4:05 p.m. BJAD Joint Commission Meeting Roll Call—completed Disclosure of Conflicts of Interest— filed Introduce new BJAD-P Commissioner, Ryan Cook Jones introduced Ryan Cook as the new BJAD-P commissioner. Sue Prant will continue as a commissioner for BJAD-TDM. Cook and Prant took the Oath of Office. Approval of May 21,2019 Minutes Hyde Write moved to approved the May 21, 2019 minutes. Bush seconded. All in favor. Public Comment None present. Matters from Staff 2020 Budget Woulf presented on the 2020 recommended budget. The BJAD priorities were addressed in the BJAD budget. No staffing or service cuts requested for 2020. Optimize existing resources. Reduction in General Fund support of District Funds. Transparency in departmental operations. Focus on long-term planning through the CIP. Flexibility for 2020 and beyond. Policy issues that were addressed: Short term fund health of BJAD Parking, reduction of general fund transfer to GIDs, long-term sustainability of EcoPass, CIP, proper reserves. RTD will phase the rate increase over five years. Woulf proposed a change in models for EcoPass funding from mostly general fund to mostly district funds. Approximately 80% District and 20% general fund. This allows for more sustainable funding sources and for greater participation by commissions in solutions. BJAD Parking—Growth is slower than projected which impacts revenue. There are concerns for 2019-2021. The long-term outlook is more sustainable. There will be$1.2 million less in property tax revenue over 5 years and $225,000 less in parking revenue in next five years. Woulf proposed an operating interfund transfer, not a loan between TDM and Parking. $25,000 in 2019 and $175,000 in 2020. He also proposed a lower general fund payback schedule over next five years. TDM fund looks healthy with growing ending fund balance. Knapp asked about capital improvement funds for the districts and if either district is saving for capital program right now. Woulf confirmed they are not, but would start in 2021. He is proposing$75,000 and it is up to the commission to determine if that is appropriate. The CIP funds will come from district funds, not general fund transfer. Woulf said the current CIP projections are an estimate and the amount can get more specific with goal planning. Hyde-Wright asked Hagelin if the city is writing a grant for the bike structure. Hagelin said it is. The City needs to meet with condo association to approve the location, probably on the backside of the plaza by the Roadhouse. They should be able to build a fairly large structure, north of current U racks. They are not waiting on the pocket park. Hyde-Wright asked if the city will be asking for matching funds from the TDM budget. Jones said that is yet to be determined. The current CIP plan is an attempt to be proactive and ready for these types of requests. Knapp asked about the TDM to Parking transfer—is it paying interest? Woulf said because it is a transfer, and not a loan, he hesitated to include interest. The interfund transfer agreement can include a flat rate increase. Knapp questioned borrowing funds to fund reserves. Woulf said the fund would go into the red the next two years beyond reserves. The $25,000 for 2019 will only happen if necessary and would be done with an adjustment to budget request. The commissioners would need to approve. Hyde-Wright asked if the city or commission should decide the increase transfer amount before the request. Woulf answered in the affirmative. Knapp would like to have the CIP discussion to talk about projects like signage that the commission would like to see. Bush asked how the staffing numbers were determined. Woulf analyzed all funds and staff time spent per fund and proposed 2.5% of CV personnel costs for each BJAD fund. Bush asked how it compared to other district staff costs. Woulf said it varies based on work groups. Maintenance is higher in CAGID. Enforcement is 100% general fund. Hyde-Write asked about TDM funding part of the HOP services and if the projected budget would allow for that. Woulf said that can be determined in goal setting. Cook asked if the TDM budget doesn't have a CIP because of resources. Woulf said staff only felt comfortable putting away CIP funds in parking to support that asset, but it could happen if TDM chooses. Hyde-Wright asked about TDM ending fund balance growing$100,000 every year. If they spent that every year, would the ending fund balance stay the same? Woulf said not in 2020,but yes in 2021 and beyond. Bush pointed out that in 2026, the city loan will be paid and there will be more in reserves. Bush made four motions: Motion to Recommend Adoption of the Proposed 2020 Boulder Junction Access District- Parking(BJAD-Parking) Annual Budget to the City Manager, the City Council, and the City Council acting as the BJAD - Parking Board of Directors. Motion to Recommend Adoption of the Proposed 2020 Boulder Junction Access District- Parking(BJAD-Parking) 2020-2025 Capital Improvement Plan(CIP) to the City Manager, the City Council, and the City Council acting as the BJAD —Parking Board of Directors." Motion to Recommend Adoption of the Proposed 2020 Boulder Junction Access District - Parking(BJAD-TDM) Annual Budget to the City Manager, the City Council, and the City Council acting as the BJAD -TDM Board of Directors." Motion to Recommend Adoption of the Proposed 2020 Boulder Junction Access District- Parking(BJAD-TDM) 2020-2025 Capital Improvement Plan (CIP)to the City Manager, the City Council, and the City Council acting as the BJAD—TDM Board of Directors." Hyde-Wright seconded. All present in favor. TMP Update Rutsch presented on the TMP Update. It is the 30th anniversary for TMP. The projected vehicles miles traveling regionally is going up. The 2014 TMP update planned for a reduction to support climate initiatives by 2035. Bus ridership has gone up with the Highway 36 HOV lane. RTD is cutting services and has facilities and maintenance issues. Transportation is focusing on low stress walking and biking with a pedestrian plan and bike network. Regional travel is also a focus along with the 119 RTD study. There may be funding from Doctor Cog for a Hwy 7 transit study. Prant asked when AMPS would be renewed. Hagelin said AMPS is more of a strategy for actions. Prant asked about fewer spaces per residence. Hagelin said they are collecting and evaluating data now. That policy would be under the Parking Code. Rutsch said another focus is pilots and innovation including curb management and automated transit. HOP status. Dr. Cog funding waiting for approval in 2020. It would be three-year funding. One electric bus, three electric buses on order. The plan is to implement the design study for the HOP segmentation route changes. Hagelin talked about funding for Transportation. Sales tax revenue is not keeping up with increases in costs. Transportation is very reliant on sales tax (80%) which is not keeping up with inflation. CIP costs are growing. They need to consider essential services versus enhancements. The City is deferring maintenance due to lack of funding. The annual unmet need is $22,700,000. Unmet Capital need is $20,800,000. There is a funding working group that has been meeting for the past six months to identify potential funding mechanisms. It includes possible taxes and fees. The highest support was for a transportation utility fee that is used all over the country. It would go on the utility bill as an additional fee. There are many ways to assess the fee. The most common is based on trip generation. Loveland does it by the length of your frontage on the right of way. Council has the power to enact a fee that you can index to inflation. Another option is to have a county-wide transportation tax to support regional needs. Transportation will go back to Council with more details on Transportation funding options for their consideration and approval to be a 2020 ballot item. Hagelin thinks staff recommendation will be the utility fee and regional tax. Draft plan in mid-August and September 17th for acceptance. 30`h and Pearl Development Review Housing provided a memo on the development update on 30th and Pearl. Edward Stafford came to answer questions on code, etc. Knapp said MAD is interested in the development of the site. He asked if there were any quadrants left to provide input. Stafford said the form based code in the area was set several years ago. He pointed out that BJAD doesn't have a regulatory role for individual development review. Hyde-Wright asked if the Form Based Code was going to be tried elsewhere, would that be subject to planning board approval? Stafford said Planning approved the Form Based code, so there is no need to go to the Planning Board again. Bush said the Planning Board would review proposed exceptions to the Form Based Code. Stafford said TVAP was focused more on for rent apartment plans,but now there are other needs and there is a goal to meet a variety of other needs. Prant and Knapp said that TVAP over-estimated the number of units in the district. Bush agreed TVAP over-projected the development. TVAP came before Form Based Code. Phase 2 on the other side of the tracks wont be activated yet—it's a future work planning item. There is no timing yet for that project. It would require assimilating properties. Zoning wont change until there is an approved plan. (Knapp left at 6:09 pm.) Depot Square Garage Update Yates provided information on the Depot Square garage. The gateless system is being installed. There are five owners with designated spaces in the garage. There is a parking management agreement between the five owners. Knapp asked about the budget not showing a parking revenue increase. Jones confirmed that Woulf s projections do not take that into consideration, but it can. Yates said the district is probably losing revenue because of the existing system not working properly. Knapp asked if there was a projection in additional revenue for the long-term lease. Knapp asked if the rate is comparable to downtown rates. Yates said Boon management is looking at different area options. West End Pearl rates are higher than Boulder Junction introductory rates. Looking for a balanced price. Knapp said the replacement of the system should be kept separate from market rate pricing. Yates said it is the focus of the Owner's Association to find the market rate. Jones said that the CV 2020 parking pricing discussion will be focusing on all parking pricing, not just on-street, to consider utilization and demand. BJAD Goals Mid-Year Check-In Jones said 30th and Pollard is progressing. B-Cycle has asked CV for TDM funding for a station at Spark. They are asking for$10,000. Spending funds on district branding is a possibility. Jones pointed out that as the district grows, there will be on-going maintenance costs as well. Bush asked if there was a planning session scheduled. Jones said that September and November agendas have not been planned yet. No other matters from commissioners. Matters from Commissioners Officer Elections tabled. Meeting adjourned at 6:14 pm. Commissioners determined there was no need to meet as separate commissions. FUTURE MEETINGS September 18, 2019 100 Broadway Conference Room Regular Meeting APPROVED BY: BOULDER JUNCTION ACCESS DISTRICT JOINT COMMISSION Attest: Rachel Dammann, Secretary Tho as Wells— C air, Parking e!�� lyl4 a7 7—= — Alex Hyde- right—Chair,TDM