Loading...
12.03.18 BJAD Minutes CITY OF BOULDER,COLORADO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES SUMMARY BOULDER JUNCTION ACCESS DISTRICTS—PARKING AND TDM MEETING DATE: December 3,2018 MEMBERS, STAFF,AND INVITED GUESTS PRESENT: Board Members: TDM: Hyde-Wright (arrived 4:17),Prant, Bush, Knapp, vacant Parking: Wells,Prant, Keating, Bush, Knapp Staff: Bowden,Yates,Dammann, Roberts Guest: Judy Nogg, Housing Authority Board PERSON PREPARING SUMMARY: Rachel Dammann, 303-441-4191 Meeting opened at 4:07 p.m. BJAD Joint Commission Meeting Roll Call--completed Disclosure of Conflicts of Interest--filed Approval of October 17,2018 Minutes Wells had one change. Commission approved as amended. Public Comment Judy Nogg from the Housing Advisory Board addressed the commission regarding parking for affordable renters at Depot Square. The HAB was created this year. Their main goal is to advise council on housing,affordability, and accessibility. This summer, three affordable housing BJAD residents came to HAB,then a month later, fifteen affordable housing residents from across the city attended. Swetnick and Nogg, focused on affordable housing resident comments. She asked the BJAD commission to review the fact that several people were concerned about the increases in parking. They heard all affordable housing residents get one parking space for free, but others have told them that all spaces cost. The people who spoke, $90 a month is a huge burden on them.Nogg is looking for information. How are people charged?Would the commission be willing to investigate the situation and report back?Bush said parking was unbundled but wasn't sure what the calculation was. Nogg said people in affordable housing could be those who need their cars the most- might work late hours,might be driving as Uber or Lyft. The HAB is not concerned about the cost of the second parking space. Bowden and the commission agreed to put a memo together answering that question. Wells would like to have the affordable housing renters come to BJAD so they can create a relationship. Nogg said she can provide that contact information. Wells said since BJAD unbundled the cost of parking,perhaps those negatively affected might want to look at affordable housing in a different location. He also touched on the free EcoPass and car sharing. Yates said affordable housing partners help pay for parking at the district. Nogg affirmed that one solution for these people is to move to a different housing location. Matters from Staff 2019 Commissioner Application Review Wells recommended the application should be easy to fill out in order to encourage applicants. Bowden said the city manager welcomes input from the commission regarding a change in governance since it has been hard to fill BJAD commission vacancies. They are not dictating this requirement, but would welcome input. The commission asked for staff to provide information on who would have to vote to increase the mills. Hyde-Wright said that if we are changing governance,perhaps instead of two boards, there should be one board. Wells says a problem could come up if a property owner is only in one district and not both. Regarding the commission recruitment application, the commission would like to change question 7 from"development"to "as the Boulder Junction matures"and delete 5 and 8. The commission would like to propose one application. Dammann will consolidate and email out for final approval. Pollard Update Bowden introduced Beth Roberts to give an update on the Pollard site project. Wells asked the commission what their questions are for Roberts. Bush said timeline, especially for parking. Prant said she wants to know about the entire project. Roberts said it went through an RFP in 2017. A few developers were chosen, taken to council in late 2017 with a recommendation for a JDA with Zocolo. After is was signed in 2018, it became apparent that the JDA could not continue. After that,they started conversations with Boulder Housing Partners. They need"shovels in the ground"by December 2019 to receive funds for being in the qualified census tract. Prant asked why the city didn't go to the next developer. Roberts said they went with BHP for the sake of timing. Council approved IGA in November. Quadrants 2 and 4 will provide 145 affordable homes. Quadrant 1 and 3 are market-rate units, either rental or for-sale. Commercial space is in Q1 along 30`h and Pearl Parkway. 19,000 ground floor commercial space. The commissioners questioned the location of the commercial space-- think it would be better along Junction Place instead of Pearl. Bowden offered to get more information on the Form Based Code if the commission requested. Proposed parking is as much aligned with SUMP as can be. Quadrant 1: about 100 spaces, Quadrant 2 &3 has about 170 spaces. Some below ground and some on the street for visitors. Wells pointed out that there are more parking spaces than residential units. Knapp asked if there is a proposal for how parking will be financed. Roberts said BHP will pay for the parking in Quadrant 2. Quadrants 1 and 3 are to be determined until a builder is determined for the market-rate properties. Knapp asked if the district will be asked to pay for parking. Bowden said that is still being evaluated. We are providing BHP information about what the district can do based on Resnick's analysis. We have not had any feedback or reactions from Housing or BHP. Knapp said that the board should be made aware if the district is offering to pay for parking. Bowden emphasized that we have not made any offers to pay for the parking. Wells reviewed the Fox Tuttle Hernandez report from the last meeting and questioned if there is a need for more parking in the district. Bowden said the Fox Tuttle Hernandez and Resnick reports were provided to BHP and Housing Although we did not make an offer, we also did not make a recommendation,other than to say that we did not see a need for more spaces to support the district. Roberts shared the QCT driven timeline through November 2019 to meet the QCT deadline. Prant asked if the city has"reality tested"if a developer will want to develop in the market-rate properties given the restrictions. Wells asked when the deadline will be regarding the decision about the amount of parking. He would like the commission to have an opportunity to provide input. Knapp concurred. Bowden is unaware and asked Roberts to report back. Bush supported having more discussion. Knapp asked if the Form-Based Code review will go to a public hearing. Roberts said she thought it would. Hyde-Wright asked how much opportunity there is for planning board to delay this project past the tax credit deadline. Roberts said that it was made apparent in the council memo that this is time sensitive, but acknowledged, "we need to get it right." Wells asked for the justification/rationale for the number of parking being recommended. Bowden offered to provide the IGA to the commissioners. Roberts offered to provide the council memo as well. 2019 BJAD Goals and Letter to Council Bowden offered an idea that the commission work in sub-groups to develop their letter to Council. Bush and Wells will make draft and send to the commission for their feedback. Bowden announced that Cris Jones will be the new deputy director facing inward towards parking. Bowden will continue to work on economic vitality. Mark Woulf is the new business services manager and started today. Knapp left at 5:35. The commissioners talked about options for change of governance in order to make it easier to fill the commission vacancy. Bush would like the commission to review what is offered in TDM and how to be effective in February or March. Prant left at 5:45. Staff Updates Yates reported that the Depot Square Parking Management Agreement is being amended to include a long term lease for stalls. The legal docs will be finalized at the owner's association meeting on Wednesday. Then they can go forward with changing the parking access and control system in lieu of gate system. Staff hopes to have it started in March. Matters from Commissioners Bush would like TDM to be a priority for the commission in February or March. Proposed: January topic is parking. February topic Pollard. Bowden asked if BHP's deadline is sooner than later, would the commission ask for a special meeting. Commissioners would like a special joint meeting if necessary. Meeting adjourned at 5:55 p.m. Determined there was no need to meet as separate commissions. FUTURE MEETINGS January 16,2019 100 Broadway Conference Room Regular Meeting APPROVED BY: BOULDER JUNCTION ACCESS DISTRICT JOINT COMMISSION Attest: Z-5;11 1-4—, Z&een=;-- Rachel Dammann, Secretary flGinas Wells-Chair, Parking' Alex yde-Wright--Chair, TDM