Loading...
09.24.18 PRAB MInutes Signed CITY OF BOULDER BOULDER, COLORADO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES To listen to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meetings in their entirety,please go to the following link: www.boulderparks-rec.org Name of Board/Commission: Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Date of Meeting: September 24, 2018 Contact Information Preparing Summary: Sarah DeSouza, 303-413-7223 Board Members Present: Tom Klenow, Jennifer Kovarik, Mary Scott, Pamela Yugar, Raj Seymour, Alli Fronza lia and Val Yates Board Members Absent: None Staff Present: Yvette Bowden, Jeff Haley, Denise White, Sarah DeSouza, Justin Greenstein, Jackson Hite, Bryan Beary, Keith Williams, Lena Dow, Stacy Cole Guests Present: No guests present Type of Meeting: Advisory/Regular Agenda Item 1: Call to Order The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. The agenda was approved as amended. Later in the meeting Klenow requested that an amendment be made to move the Discussion Item to before the Action Item. The motion was made and approved. Agenda Item 2: Future Board Items and Tours Bowden reviewed upcoming community touch opportunities. These events can be found at www.BoulderParks-Rpg.org Agenda Item 3: Public Participation Agenda Item 4: Consent Agenda A. Approval of Minutes from August 27, 2018 Minutes from August 27, 2018 were approved as written. B. Parks and Recreation Development and Operations Update Consent agenda was submitted as written. • The Board had no comments on this item. Agenda Item 5: Action Item A. Public Hearing and Consideration of a Motion to Approve the Boulder Creek Festival Production Contract This item was moved to after the Discussion/Information Item on the same topic. Bowden presented this item to the Board. Public Hearing was opened. Ann Marie Jensen, Boulder resident and former PRAB member, spoke in regard to the Boulder Creek Festival and in support of Boulder Creek Events as a successful event producer. The Board had no discussion about the item. Seymour made the following motion: Motion to approve the Agreement to Contract for Boulder Creek Festival®Production Services and authorize the City Manager to make minor amendments prior to or during the term of this agreement to ensure that the Boulder Creek Festival® is managed in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and the goals, policies and regulations of the City of Boulder. The Motion was seconded by Yates. The motion passed 5-1 (Yugar opposed; Scott abstained) Agenda Item 6: Discussion Item A. Boulder Creek Festival Production Contract Bowden presented this item to the Board. PRAB members shared the following comments/questions about this item: • Has the city reviewed the status of other events presented by TPP? • Are representatives of TPP in attendance at this meeting? • Will TPP provide free booth space to non-profit agencies at future festivals? • Did the BCE contract require a set percentage be given to non-profit agencies? • When the city conducts these processes, is public input typically obtained? • Does the city typically proceed from an RFQ process directly to contract award? • BCE's responses were not deemed responsive to the specific questions asked in the RFQ. • Are there specific procedural rules to inform this vote? • Is it an option to consider an RFP? • If both companies were considered"qualified",would issuing an RFP be the next step in the process to determine the awardee? • Could the city provide a one or two year extension to address the concerns of SCE? • This process might leave a"bad taste" for BCE after putting on the event for 20 years. • An RFP process would address the concerns and changes the city wants to see and how organizations would meet the new requirements. • The RFQ changed the focus of the BCF event from the past to the new approach outlined in the"six pillars". • BCE is a qualified event producer. • Plan brought forward by TPP was more responsive to the"six pillars"identified in the RFQ. • TPP has the qualifications the city desires and is in line with the"six pillars". • Did BCE address the six pillars in their response to the RFQ? • How much time would it add if the city were to go to an RFP? • Can a Board member abstain from voting? • There is insufficient time to conduct an RFP. • The RFQ clearly stated the contract could be awarded after an RFQ. • Have references been checked? • Concerned that the process has resulted in a situation where it is not perfectly clear that the RFQ could be the final determining document. • The city, as the owner of the event, should be able to choose the provider that meets the city's goals for producing the city-owned event. • The process is not invalid. • Support the work that staff and those involved in the decision making process. • Thanks to both companies(TPP and BCE) for speaking at this hearing. • Appreciate the conversation and feel informed on the issue and ready to vote. Agenda Item 7: Matters from the Department A. WRAB Aquatics Nuisance Species Update Bowden and Cole presented this item to the Board. PRAB members shared the following comments/questions about this item: • Is the Boulder Reservoir gate staffed after Labor Day? • Inspection is very easy and seamless. • Reference material is helpful for understanding the importance of inspection. • This is great information for the public. • Staff at the Boulder Reservoir are very helpful and knowledgeable • Is a broad campaign needed when all boats entering the Boulder Reservoir are inspected and all boaters are informed of Boulder Reservoir ANS requirements? • Can ANS be spread by mechanisms other than by boat? B. Operating Budget Update Hite presented this item to the Board. PRAB members shared the following comments/questions about this item: • Appreciation for the hard work and difficult decisions made by staff. Agenda Item 8: Matters from the Board A. Ecosystems,Climate Change and Community Well-Being—Joint Advisory Board Meeting Update • Meeting was beneficial and informative. • Consensus that growth and development is a major issue affecting Boulder. • Enjoyed meeting people from other boards and discussing issues and hearing different viewpoints and perspectives. • Structure of the meeting limited option development. • This type of meeting provides exposure to different boards and learning how they work. B. PRAB New Member Mentor/On-Boarding • Mentor assignements and on-boarding will be discussed at the PRAB retreat in October C. PRAB Retreat Agenda Review • A Doodle poll will be conducted to identify meeting dates in November and December. D. PRAB Community Engagement Updates- Board members attended the following activities/meetings/tours: Attended the Duck Race; Movie in the Park; McGuckins "Round-Up"; Volunteered at Jai Pur Festival; Octoberfest Festival; EAB Joint Advisory Board meeting; Tot Park; and C clocross. Adjourn: There being no further business to come before the Board at this time, the meeting was adjourned at 7: 27 p.m. ,i Approved by: A Tom Klenow Sarah De3ouza Board Chair Board Secretary Date l6 oZ� ���� Date 9�1' 2 ZatY