Loading...
06.20.18 BAC Minutes CITY OF BOULDER BOULDER, COLORADO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES Name of Board/Commission: Boulder Arts Commission Date of Meeting:June 20,2018 at the Main Boulder Public Library, 1001 Arapahoe Ave. Contact information preparing summary: Celia Seaton,303-441-3206 Commission members present: Mark Villarreal,Felicia Furman,Kathleen McCormick,Devin Hughes,Erica Joos Commission members absent: none Library staff present: Matt Chasansky,Office of Arts&Culture Manager Lauren Click,Coordinator,Grants Mary Haan,Coordinator,Programs for Artists Mandy Vink,Public Art Coordinator David Farnan,Director Celia Seaton,Administrative Specialist City staff present: None Members of the public present:Kate Shlon(Baltimore-based artist working on a temporary art project with the Office of Arts and Culture),Shelly Benford(Colorado Chautauqua Association),Nikhil Mankekar(City of Boulder Human Relations Commissioner),Nick Forster(eTown host/co-founder), Sophia Katsikas(Development Coordinator at The Dairy Arts Center),and Kathy Beeck(director of Boulder International Film Festival) Type of Meeting: Regular Agenda Item 1: Call to order and approval of agenda [0:00:10 Audio min.] The meeting was called to order at 6:01 p.m. Villarreal noted some addendums to the agenda. A debrief on the Americans for the Arts(AFTA)Convention was added to Item 6. McCormick's email was added to 5D. Chasansky has two brief procedural items that he will include in the Public Comment period. McCormick moved to approve the agenda as amended,Joos seconded,and all were in favor. Agenda Item 2: Review of Minutes [0:02:14 Audio min.] Item 2A,Approval of May 2018 Meeting Minutes Villarreal asked for changes or addendums regarding these minutes-there were none. Furman made a motion to accept the May minutes,Villarreal seconded,and the motion was approved. McCormick abstained as she was not at the meeting. Agenda Item 3: Public comment [0.02.54 Audio min.] There were no public commenters.Chasansky took the opportunity to discuss the citywide initiative to record volunteer hours of the commission members,and Seaton distributed the tracking form to the commissioners. Chasansky then distributed the 2017 Annual Report for the City of Boulder's Office of Arts+Culture,noting that the basic message is gratitude toward an accomplished year. Agenda Item 4: Public Art Program [0.06.04 Audio min.] A. DISCUSSION:Public Art Social—Vink reported on the progress with this initiative(see flyer inap cket). She introduced Kate Shlon,an artist whose project is incorporated into the event. Shlon has partnered with other city departments such as Forestry and Parks&Recreation on this project,using felled wood for instrument materials. Working with some local performers and musicians,"exercises in listening"will be encouraged. Vink noted the kick-off for this event occurring Friday,June 291,with Ethan Jackson's Cubicule. B. DISCUSSION: Update on the 2018'2019 Public Art Implementation Plan—Vink reported on recent accomplishments(e.g.,the new Boulder Creek Path mural created by Fettingis and Napolitano at the Arapahoe Underpass,eastside)as well as some upcoming items(e.g.,the Arapahoe Underpass,westside). She asked the group if there werequestions;McCormick asked about the residential murals. Vink:The Creative Neighborhoods Mural Program will be a community project,for art on private land that will be visible from the public right-of- way. Residential property owners must get endorsement from neighbors;grants will be distributed on a"first come first serve"basis. Residential applications are due by June 28". Nine projects can be granted up to$2,500 each. Connections will be engendered between artists and homeowners as well as among homeowners with their neighbors. This push to instigate and elevate conversation about art in the community aligns with the Community Cultural Plan's goal of elevating art in the public eye. Hughes asked about HOAs applying and Vink replied that HOAs were welcome. Renters can also apply,with landlord permission. This is the pilot effort,funded by the Community,Culture&Safety Tax,although the project may be extended pending funding. Vink will report back to the group regarding the possibility of receiving a wetland permit variance for the Arapahoe Underpass project after a conversation with the Greenways Committee on June 28'h Agenda Item 5: Grant Program [0.28.20 Audio min.] A. ACTION:Professional Development application follow up 1. Click noted the commission's previous request for follow-up with three applicants. Of those,only Caputo responded;Alex declined to do his 2nd round and the other has already received alternate funding. She asked the commission for a vote on Caputo's application which involves Bulgarian folk music. Villarreal asked the commission whether all questions were satisfactorily answered. McCormick queried whether the commission's main issue had involved the level of community impact. Villarreal said that was his concern and Caputo reported involvement with a local band for upcoming performances. McCormick questioned this"community impact"filter as she sometimes thinks there is great value in an artist just enriching themselves as an artist. Villarreal noted that there is a need for accountability when spending taxpayer money. McCormick asked if Villarreal was satisfied and he replied affirmatively. McCormick questioned whether she could abstain;Faman indicated that this would count as a"no"vote. Furman moved to accept the applicant's information and give him the requested grant funding. Hughes seconded,and all were in favor. B. ACTION: Grant Reports 1. Boulder MUSE,expansion of Boulder MUSE,$3,000 Group expressed how impressed they were by MUSE's video which indicated strong family involvement and community relations,aided by the inclusion of two bilingual directors. Furman moved to accept the grant report from MUSE,Joos seconded,and the motion passed unanimously. C. DISCUSSION:Update on the Equity Grant Process—Click reported on the partnership with HRC which involves an enhancement grant. Proposal applications will be due for Indigenous Peoples Day(October 81)on June 20. On July 161 a vote will be held at the HRC meeting. Joos and Furman will attend and report back but HRC will be making the final decisions. Villarreal spoke to maintaining flexibility in cost of funding when looking at proposals (there is"wiggle room"for variances such as higher travel costs). Mankekar thanked the group -"we hit the nail on the head." The commission shared enthusiasm about this new partnership. D. DISCUSSION:2019 Grants Cycle Step Two,Feedback on Key Areas for Improvements-Click reported that the grants program has been going"really well,"with 48 grants distributed this year. Chasansky spoke to the marked improvement of the grants process over the past couple years. The commission was now being tasked with providing high-level,overview feedback on a variety of topics(see handouts). Joos asked if the applicants were being asked about their thoughts on the grant process.Chasansky—no specific survey,but staff obtain feedback through organizational summits and direct interviewing of individual applicants. Click—we already have two other surveys and don't want to overload. Chasansky and Click asked for the commission's thoughts on category sizes and the length of award. McCormick suggested the consideration of including three levels of funding(as opposed to the current two)for the general operating grants scaled to budget as follows: small,mid,and large. This division would allow a fairer playing field as she imagines smaller arts organizations would be more successful not competing against much larger groups. Furman agreed,envisioning not only more applicants overall but also believing that smaller groups would feel encouraged to apply. Hughes further suggested that it may be more equitable to award grants as a percentage based on the applicant's budget. Villarreal: the three-year length of award makes sense. Chasansky brought up the"landmark"organization issue,noting no need for immediate decision but hoping to have a discussion between commissioners and audience members who partially represent these larger anchor institutions. Villarreal invited the attendees to speak. Forster spoke,thanking Click for all her work. He referenced issues around categories and appropriateness of grants(eTown vying for a$10,000 grant with a $2,500,000 budget). He noted that one way to address the obvious disconnect in budget size and grant size would be to"embargo"these larger groups separately(keeping grant applications open to the smaller and mid-sized budget groups). The planning that would result from a longer grant cycle would be beneficial. While expressing appreciation at assistance received in the past and efforts at sustaining enterprises,exploring possibilities of increased funding across the board would make grants more accessible to smaller organizations. To Forster,this would be mean engaged partnership between the city and the top-tier organizations. Villarreal asked Forster about fundraising plans. He replied that while a"constant effort,"and with no specific plan in hand,he is ready to work with council and staff—the task does not seem"daunting"to him. Villarreal:"all ears"about pooling resources but needs more specifics. Forster noted the idea of a matching"challenge"grant returned to the city. Villarreal said this next year will be financially challenging,more conversation will be needed. Forster agreed and said reiterated that tonight's purpose was just to kick off discussion. Joos inquired about the"landmark"coalition embracing values of inclusivity and accessibility in line with cultural equity- Forster stated that the arts organizational leaders take these principles seriously and believe that this proposed dynamic relationship would hold both parties accountable. Furman noted that organizations providing space for community(managing or owning facilities)should have separate criteria,as"there is a difference." Villarreal emphasized the need for more information on the financials— what were the allocations through the past three years,where is the"pain threshold"when making cuts. Chasansky and Click will come up with some options/scenarios to bring back to commission for consideration. Villarreal:"all about equity this year." Joos noted the marketability and transparency of this branding:"landmark organizations." Villarreal brought up a point made previously—"free doesn't mean accessible." Joos noted that the criteria should reference the Community Culture Plan. McCormick questioned whether spending public money on these established anchor groups may be a reinforcement of the"white western"guard. Chasansky said more information can be provided at the next meeting regarding criteria for a"landmark"organization in Boulder. Staff will check in with other groups at the next organizational summit. The group took a five-minute break at this time. Returning to the overview discussion,Click asked the commissioners to discuss the balance between transparency and time investment. Furman said that the application language is"difficult"and repetitive—it would cut down on time if questions were clearer and more specific. Click distributed forms illustrating the structure for cultural grants funding. Villarreal proposed that general operating support grants get awarded to the largest groups first, and then review for the second tier(small and the mid-size)scoring can occur in a separate month. Likewise, community project grants can be split between organization and individual,broken up into different months. Chasansky suggested that additional meetings can be held,or short form processes,to accommodate some of this. Group agreed a re-balancing is necessary as this year there was too much concentration on the stewardship, which didn't leave time for the process. Hughes and McCormick mentioned staff pre-screening. McCormick: if an applicant is clearly below the caliber there is no need to include them in commission's review. She spoke to the stress from the last cycle where deadlines meant intense concentration of reading and assessment. McCormick questioned whether rental assistance grants could be split into two separate time periods. Chasansky will add this possibility to the scenarios presented for commission's feedback on the time balance investment. The group then discussed eligibility of an applicant who has not yet completed a previously funded project and yet is applying for another grant. Commission agreed that it would be nonsensical to award an additional grant in this circumstance. McCormick noted that the monies can't be refunded and reallocated if the artist doesn't produce. She envisioned a shift from the current 18-month span to a year. Joos suggested adding language referencing previous funding support in the"encouragement"section for scoring. The next topic involved access to applications and reports and whether these should be published as public record, perhaps showcasing the best examples as guides. Group agreed that making the applications more accessible would be a good idea and assist in transparency. The group then focused on presentation limitations. While visual artists can no longer distribute 2-D items of their work,currently no distinct restriction on aural accompaniment exists. This allowance could lead to bias between visual and performative applicants. Chasansky will craft language indicating what this limitation would look like for commission consideration.Group also deliberated the advantages and disadvantages to scoring immediately after each applicant presents versus after the entire run of presentations. Hughes suggested a schedule for all the applicants with 10-minute window slots assigned to better respect the applicants'time. Agenda Item 6: Matters from Commissioners [2.23.53 Audio min.] A. Joos reported on the"Welcoming the Arapaho People Home"project she attended on June 71-81. Tribal leaders from Southern and Northern Arapaho tribes were present during this event which aimed to stimulate intimate discussion about getting in the"right relationship"with native people of the community. Young people shared crafts and music. Touring of various historical sites around Boulder County included the training ground of the Colorado Territory militia who attacked the Cheyenne and Arapaho villages during the violent Sand Creek Massacre,as well as native burial sites. Joos expressed feeling honored to be present to learn and represent the commission. Joos then reported on her experience at AFTA's convention. The panels were largely on race and equity,buoyed by a diverse attendance. Pipeline discussion about providing steps of leadership had particularly valuable insight. Chasansky: Boulder had a great showing at the conference -local art scene was well represented. Agenda Item 7: Matters from Staff [2.37.37 Audio min.] A. DISCUSSION:Questions About the Manager's Memo-none B. DISCUSSION:Update on the Artist Census-postponed for a later meeting C. DISCUSSION:Draft Fellowship Program Structure and Timeline-Haan provided an overview of this vision- driven opportunity for a community artist whose work is within the sphere of city of Boulder goals(e.g., sustainability,environment,transportation). One award annually of a$10,000 honorarium(though activities will extend past the year)will invite a professional artists or artist team to collaborate with city government departments to advance mutual priorities. McCormick asked about the source of the funding and Chasansky explained that these monies are not tied to the grant funding,the funding is already set aside in the General Fund. Joos and Furman volunteered to be part of the committee to refine and finalize materials as well as participate in the selection. The commission expressed excitement about this project and opportunity. Agenda Item 8: Adjournment [2.49.14 Audio min.] There being no further business to come before the commission at this time,the meeting was adjourned. Date,time,and location of next meeting: The next Boulder Arts Commission meeting will be at 6 p.m.on Wednesday,July 18,2018,in the Boulder Creek Room at the Main Library, 1001 Arapahoe Ave.,Boulder,CO 80302. APPROVED BY: ATTE D eg Joard Chair B Secretary1 Date Date