Loading...
05-14-2018 TAB Minutes FINAL CITY OF BOULDER BOULDER, COLORADO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES Name of Board/Commission: Transportation Advisory Board Date of Meeting: May 14,2018 Contact Information Preparing Summary: Meredith Schleske 303.441.3204 Board Members Present:Jennifer Nicoll;Bill Rigler(arrived at 8:02 p.m.);Johnny Drozdek;Tila Duhaime;Mark McIntyre Board Members Absent: Staff Present: Mike Gardner-Sweeney,Director of Public Works for Transportation Kathleen Bracke,GO Boulder Manager Bill Cowem,Principal Traffic Engineer David"DK"Kemp,Senior Transportation Planner Gerrit Slatter,Principal Capital Projects Transportation Engineer Jean Sanson,Senior Transportation Planner Natalie Stiffler,Senior Transportation Planner Amy Lewin,Transportation Planner Michelle Melonakis,Transportation Engineer Brian Wiltshire,Engineering Project Manager Lesli Ellis,Comprehensive Planning Manager Meredith Schleske,Board Secretary Consultants Present: Carlos Hernandez,Fox Tuttle Hernandez Transportation Group Other Presenters: Jason Segovia-Garza,Youth Opportunity Advisory Board(YOAB)Member Alana McClements,YOAB Member Austin Dahl,YOAB Member Eitan Kantor,Advisor Brandon Blew,Advisor Type of Meeting: Advisory/Regular Agenda Item 1: Call to Order 16:03 p.m.] The meeting was called to order at 6:03 p.m.by Nicoll upon consent of the board. Agenda Item 2: Acceptance of Chair Election 16:03 p.m.1 Nicoll verbally accepted the TAB Chair nomination and election made at the 9 April,2018 meeting from which she was excused. Agenda Item 3: Approval of minutes from March and April 2018 16:05 p.m.] Move to approve 12 March,2018 minutes Motion: Duhaime Second: Drozdek 4:0:0 Motion Passes. Move to approve 9 April,2018 minutes Motion: McIntyre Second: Drozdek 4:0:0 Motion Passes. Agenda Item 4: Public Participation—there was none 16:06 p.m.] Agenda Item 5: Guest presentation by Youth Advisory Board regarding Transit 16:06 p.m.] Jean Sanson introduced presenters:Jason Segovia-Garza,Alana McClements,Austin Dahl,Eitan Kantor,Brandon Blew Barriers to Youth Bus Ridership in Boulder was presented verbally;no written materials were provided. Questions for TAB: 1. Would it be helpful for us to share our raw data with you? 2. Do you have questions for us? TAB Minutes 14 May,2018 Page 1 of 8 TAB Discussion: • Question about where students obtain EcoPasses. • Inquiry whether a-bikes are considered cool by students. • Question regarding school parking restrictions and whether they are conducive to encouraging transit. • Encouragement to YOAB to present study to RTD. • Request for presentation to be forwarded to TAB. Agenda Item 6: Safe Streets Boulder—Vision Zero(TVZ)Implementation 16:22 p.m.] David Kemp made the report to the board. Public Comment: there was none. TAB Input: • Question regarding plans for more leading pedestrian indicator(LPI)installations. • Request for summary of what's changed,what's available,and what the city might do regarding"Safety Stop"SB 144. • Inquiry about if city traffic regulations are 100%compliant with state laws. • Question about whether`Idaho stop"laws are consistent statewide in Idaho. • Question about whether contextual signage could be posted at certain intersections with flashing yellow arrows. • Clarifying comment that adding speed as an element in the Safe Streets report should not be restricted to exceeding posted speed limit. Agenda Item 7: Public hearing and TAB consideration of a recommendation regarding the East Arapahoe SH7 Transportation Plan 16:43 p.m.] Jean Sanson made the report to the board. Executive Summary The city is bringing forward the draft East Arapahoe(SH 7)Transportation PIan(EATP)to the Transportation Advisory Board(TAB)for consideration of a recommendation to City Council. Aligned with Boulder's Transportation Master Plan(TMP),the 2040 vision plan for the East Arapahoe corridor creates a Complete Street that includes safety improvements for people using all modes,walking and biking enhancements, improved regional and local transit,reliable vehicular travel,and urban design features. Setting the vision for the East Arapahoe corridor is the first step in a multi-year journey.The EATP provides the vision framework to begin improving corridor conditions today for neighborhood residents,employees and visitors; and into the future as the city works with local and regional partners to advance regional mobility improvements along the length of SH 7 between downtown Boulder and 1-25,and ultimately to Brighton. Importantly,the EATP positions the city to work with our SH 7 partners in pursuit of regional,state,and federal funding for high quality-high frequency Bus Rapid Transit(BRT),a regional bikeway,pedestrian improvements and first and final mile supportive infrastructure along the length of the SH 7 corridor.Upon acceptance,the Plan will become part of the Iarger regional SH 7 project development process to advance multimodal improvements, including BRT and a commuter bikeway,in the corridor between downtown Boulder and I-25Brighlon. Throughout the EATP planning process and at key milestones,TAB has provided input and feedback to help shape the vision. As examples,TAB has been instrumental in helping to strengthen the Plan's focus on the City's Vision Zero goals,has helped to examine and critique the technical analysis;and has advised the project team on effective outreach and communication strategies. TAB Clarifying Questions: • Request that agency letters of support be forwarded to TAB. • Observation that transit travel time is almost double that of car travel;suggestion to call out projections that the project will create more reliable and faster transit and improve safety for all modes,especially for bikes and pedestrians. • Inquiry about timing of short-,mid-,and long-term goals. • Question regarding order of how goals are listed;suggestion to be consistent. • Concern expressed about what happens if the EcoPass program goes away. TAB Minutes 14 May,20I8 Page 2 of 8 • Request for explanation of what transition of through lane plans from two to one lane will mean and look like. • Question whether the section of Arapahoe Avenue from 55`x'Street to Cherryvale is operating as planned. • Agreement expressed with concerns about transit and final mile. • Inquiries about when study plans for Foothills Parkway and Arapahoe Avenue will begin and which study group will address the downtown transition area on Canyon Blvd.. Public Comment • Aaron Pasterz,3701 Arapahoe Avenue—member of East Arapahoe Working Group. Emphasis was placed on safety and population growth and a lot of community input was considered. Critical that community is made aware of how this project can improve where they live along the corridor.TAB is encouraged to consider all the input received and give their vote of confidence. • Sue Prant,3172 29'x'Street Executive Director of Community Cycles and on East Arapahoe Working Group—thorough process,very good. Community Cycles supports protected bike lanes. Although walking and recreational riding may not be more pleasant,bike through travel will be improved. Looking forward to short-term improvements made quickly;there are huge missing links. Thanks for opportunity to be involved. TAB Discussion: • Opinion expressed that public concern,especially around congestion,is a perspective issue from auto-centric to people-centric. The project is very complex,requires partnerships,must solve final mile issue,must be managed very well. Ensure sustained focus,keep eye on long-term goal. • Concern raised about how much education is required to be well informed,concern about how to persuade public that projections if nothing is done are accurate. Promote the understanding that more people can be moved through these corridors. • Questions about how to compel people to use the bus rapid transit(BRT)lanes more. • Observation that current condition is not safe,lacks modal equity. Opinion that the recommendation improves in all aspects. • Encouragement to start quickly to show progress. • Question about the outward communication plan to promote,suggestion to update FAQs to include why. Board Action Requested Staff is seeking a recommendation to the City Council regarding the draft East Arapahoe(SH 7)Transportation Plan (EATP). Findings will be presented to City Council for acceptance in the 2'or 3'quarter of 2018. Motion: Moved to recommend City Council adopt the draft East Arapahoe(SH 7)Transportation Plan. Motion: Drozdek Second: Duhaime Motion passes 4:0:0 Agenda Item 8: Public hearing and TAB consideration of a recommendation regarding 30th/Colorado Corridors Study recommended design options 17:40 p.m.1 Noreen Walsh made the report to the board. Executive Summary The May 22 City Council Study Session packet on the 30th and Colorado Corridors Study Conceptual Design Options was provided for TAB review and consideration of a recommendation to City Council. The purpose of the Study Session is to gain Council feedback on the recommended design options,specifically if they are the best balance of the Study's multiple goals and objectives and community feedback. Following City Council feedback,the project team will begin preliminary engineering,cost estimation and development of a phased implementation plan to construct improvements on the two corridors. Funding of these improvements are anticipated to come primarily from city transportation funds but federal and state grants will be pursued when possible. The Study Session memorandum contains information on the context and reasons for the study,descriptions of existing corridor conditions and the five options developed with community input,an evaluation of the options and community preferences and recommended options for further development. TAB Clarifying Questions: • Inquiry about ifoption 5A can be implemented with current right-of-way constraints. TAB Minutes 14 May,2018 Page 3 of 8 • Questions regarding whether the corridor options affect the intersection designs,what signal a bike uses at the intersection with the raised bike lane. • Request for what criteria resulted in selection of option 3 over option 2,where option 3 would be implemented. • Suggestions to clarify under what circumstance or timeframe the term"current condition"is used to label results or projections,add number of participants at meeting and online to presentation,add bullets and circles to present the graph. • Questions if changes proposed in 28t11 and Colorado intersection concept are markings only or includes physical changes,how the multi-use path that is crossed twice would be protected and safety implications of double left turn lane. • Comment that protected double left shouldn't affect cyclists. Bill Rigler arrived at 8:02 p.m. • Suggestions to o Switch yellow-highlighted rows on slides showing corridor motor vehicle travel time modeling to show proposed plan projections before without implementation of proposed plan. o Add,and start with,"the why"as appropriate. a Edit"Current and future transit service"slide ridership number display. o Add benefits/cost of option 3 for specific selected section. o Make white titles more visible. • Inquiry about the recent Daily Camera article and city's response to project duration and cost. • Encouragement to push out more immediate public communication. Public Participation • David Ensign,4020 Evans Drive joined 30'r'and Colorado Corridor working group,admired Noreen Walsh during process. Rewarding,excellent example of public participation,huge amount of information. Shout out to Barbara Lewis,Carlos Hernandez,David Kemp,Bill Cowern. Uses 301h Street corridor daily,feels vulnerable as cyclist,excited about protected bike lanes. Also drives,clear areas for improvement towards Vision Zero, Impressed with lane reconfiguration for all modes. New underpasses are great for cyclists. Hopes for phased progress,attention to landscaping,public art. Expects a new level of vibrancy,encourages enthusiasm. • Fred Ecks,785 331 Street—homeowner in corridor is on it every day,afraid to ride with fast heavy traffic. Cheers on potential for protected bike lanes. Thank you very much. • Bart Miller,4530 Hanover Avenue—working group member,uses corridor daily,kudos to Noreen Walsh and staff. Opportunity to break from pattern of crashes. Great process,strongly supports. Recommendation will make a real difference in safety and is a creative use of existing right-of-way,Iooks to future,addresses all modes,could be implemented over a shorter time due to lower cost. • Ann Haebig,785 331 Street working group member,great process,appreciates. How it feels to live there- doesn't ride anymore,doesn't feel safe,only rides on weekend mornings. Traffic increased 10%over nine years,cars can no longer move into inside lane of street to avoid bicycles. Example of how close to her handlebars the adjacent car's mirror was—college cyclist pulled over when he saw it. Really need protected lanes,protected left turns,raised crosswalks on non-signalized intersections. Encourages use of"big bend out"option for protected bike-lane alignment. • Sue Prant,3172 29th Street—Executive Director of Community Cycles,supports option 5A for 301`Street, option I for Colorado Avenue. Use"protected"term,not"buffered". Protected intersections are great,looks for more. Prefers"big bend"option to allow turning cars to queue. Implementation duration is very long, bike and pedestrian facilities must happen sooner. In interim,could cut width of travel lanes,repair pavement,curb and gutter cuts into bike lane,improve road condition. Action Requested of Board: The TAB is asked to provide recommendations on the questions being posed to the City Council: 1. Does Council support the recommended options for 30th Street and Colorado Avenue as the best balance the study's goals and objectives and community feedback? 2. Feedback on Study Session Presentation TAB Discussion: • Comment that it's an uncomfortable place to bike. • Inquiry regarding what budget and timeframe is required to improve current conditions with markings, fixing drains,etc. TAB Minutes 14 May,2018 Page 4 of 8 • Questions about the process and TAB involvement for phasing and implementation; if TAB should endorse CU involvement in corridor design and process. • Suggestion to include speed data as part of the"why". • Comment that the 40-50%online respondents who want no change due to perception of impact to vehicle travel time may be addressed by emphasizing that with the recommendation,travel time will not increase but will with no action. • Expression of support and appreciation that protected bike lanes are becoming the norm. Motion: Moved to recommend that City Council approve the recommended options for 30th Street and Colorado Avenue as the best balance of the study's goals and objectives and community feedback. Motion: Nicoll Second: Duhaime Motion passes 5:0:0 Agenda Item 9:2018-19 Transportation Master Plan(TMP)Update 18:54 p.m.1 Amy Lewin and Kathleen Bracke made the report to the board. Executive Summary This agenda item provides a summary of the April 24,2018,City Council study session on three Transportation topics: • Scoping the 2018-19 TMP update,including the technical assessment based on the 2018 Transportation Report on Progress,plus input from the community at the Transportation Master Plan(TMA)Launch event on March 2I and Advanced Mobility event in fall 2017; • Vision Zero,including progress on 2017-18 action items and scoping the 2018 Safe Streets Boulder Report; • Renewed Vision for Transit,including the Transit Service Delivery Study progress to-date. General themes of council feedback and direction included; • Support for the overall approach for the TMP update and community engagement process, highlighting safety(Vision Zero),parking reform options,and opportunities to link land use and transportation planning in upcoming sub-community plans; • Support for additional engineering and enforcement efforts and prominence for the Vision Zero as a part of the TMP update,including assessing speeds and tracking additional metrics; • Support for the transit service governance options and criteria being evaluated as part of the Transit Service Delivery Study. TAB Feedback: • Suggestion to clarify which survey is open in Be Heard Boulder,have a presence at the Bolder Boulder. • Questions regarding when working groups will start and time commitment,role of plan ambassadors and how they will be identified,why the two working group focuses were selected,suggested key individuals to consider. • Encouragement to add"where we're going"over next 18 months to TMP—planned activities,open to feedback. • Discussion of TAB role, • Request for talking points, • Update regarding TAB interacting with Open Space Board of Trustees(OSBT)regarding the Open Space Master Plan. • Inquiry about a shared location for TAB members to log their public engagement hours. • Question about whether TAB should be referenced on the TMP website,encouragement to create opportunities for community engagement. Question for TAB: Who would like to participate on the TMP Community Working Groups(representative,alternate)? • Pedestrian—Duhaime,representative • Funding—McIntyre,reprehensive; Drozdek,alternate Agenda 10: Staff briefing and TAB feedback regarding 20I9-2024 Capital Improvement Program(CIP) Overview(Part 11 of 111) 19:36 p.m.] Gerrit Slatter made the report to the board. Executive Summa 'CAB Minutes 14 May,2018 Page 5 of 8 Each year,the city goes through an annual budget process in which departments create a six-year Capital Improvement Program(this year for the time period of 2019 through 2024).The Transportation Advisory Board (TAB)role in this process is defined in the Boulder Revised Code(BRC)TITLE 2 GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION,Chapter 3 Boards and Commissions,Section 14-Transportation Advisory Board;". . .to review all city transportation environmental assessments and capital improvements." It is within this context that the board is asked to hold a public hearing and provide a recommendation on the Capital Improvement Program(CIP)to Planning Board and the City Council,scheduled for the June TAB meeting. This packet item is intended to initiate this process by providing background information and analysis,a tentative schedule and key issues for this year. The funding situation for the Transportation Division is of vital importance to the planning and programming of the CIP process for 2018 and beyond. There are a number of factors that are reducing the ability of the Transportation Division to fund and deliver programs and projects consistent with the goals and objectives of the Transportation Master Plan(TMP). These included flattening sales/use tax revenue,the primary funding source for city transportation funding,reduced opportunities for federal/state grant funds and reduced purchasing power. The funding outlook and condition of the transportation funds are discussed/presented in greater detail in the Background/Analysis section. Request for TAB Does TAB have feedback regarding the Draft 2019-2024 Transportation CIP? TAB Feedback: • Questions whether funding uncertainty is limited to this year or going forward,whether reductions were made by project(s)or across-the-board percentage. • Comment that transportation funding does not come from the general fund. • Suggestion to tie priorities to other initiatives such as Vision Zero or Complete Streets, include the"why"in priorities. • Suggestion that Neighborhood Speed Management Program(NSMP)reduction be illustrated by number of treatments that can't be done. • Questions concerning the process schedule,how 30s'Street improvements are impacted,if TAB may have input into the staff recommended priorities. Agenda 11: Staff briefing and TAB feedback regarding the Foothills Underpass project 10:11 p.m.1 Noreen Walsh made the report to the board. Executive Summary: The existing bicycle and pedestrian overpass bridge over Foothills Parkway,just south of Colorado Avenue carries approximately 470 bicyclists and pedestrians daily. The bridge is nearing the end of its 50-year service life and the ramps have steep slopes(up to 10%in some locations).The highest budgeting priority,identified in the City's Transportation Master Plan(TMP),is to invest in maintaining the transportation infrastructure in good condition. The proposed underpass,with a design life of 75 years,will replace the existing bridge with a grade separated crossing of Foothills Parkway for pedestrians and bicyclists. The underpass provides a crossing designed for all ages and abilities with less steep grades and other ADA design guideline conditions and will meet existing predominant and expected future travel patterns. In 2014,the Foothills Parkway Bicycle and Pedestrian Underpass project was identified as a need and potential project submittal for the 2016-2021 Transportation Improvement Program(TIP)process which is managed by the Denver Regional Council of Governments. The project was recommended by the Transportation Advisory Board and City Council for TIP submittal and was awarded funds in 2016. Planning and design began in mid-2017 and project construction is planned to begin in 2019 and take one year to complete. Five alignment alternatives are being evaluated through the Community and Environmental Assessment Process (CEAP). The CEAP assesses potential impacts to inform the selection and refinement of a preferred project alternative. The Board's role in this process is to provide a recommendation on the project CEAP,anticipated to take place at the June 1 I TAB meeting,which will then be forwarded to City Council for potential call-up. In preparation for the June 11 TAB public hearing and consideration of a recommendation on the CEAP,staff is providing this project introduction and conceptual design and alignment alternatives. Request for TAB In preparation for the June 11 TAB meeting,share any questions that you have to be prepared for consideration of a recommendation on the CEAP. TAB Minutes 14 May,2018 Page 6 of 8 TAB Feedback: • Question regarding west side connection. • Comment regarding different travel times,especially for pedestrians. • Questions about any consideration of replacing or improving the bridge,cost difference between a box structure and bridge,examples of nice box structure implementations. • Inquiry whether any options exceed budget,which options are most favored by Americans with Disability Act(ADA)proponents. • Suggestion to include traffic numbers,consider including a more direct pedestrian approach. • Comment that options 2,3,and 4 could be eliminated from council consideration due to the budget environment. • Question whether any options are more susceptible to ice buildup;ensure that it's wide enough to plow. Agenda Item 12: Matters 110:45 p.m.1 A. Matters from the Staff/Non-Agenda • HOP marketing and branding update(Bracke,Stiffler)—looked at different color schemes;new orange design selected. New service begins in August. • June Walk&Bike Month update(Kemp/Lewin)—added"and bus"to the posters. Question about how Spanish posters are being used. Staff is trying to distribute bike lights throughout the city- suggestion to partner with Night Eyes to do so. • WaIk 360—four separate loops are offered as well as the entire combined route. • CU is hosting an alternative vehicle fuel ride and try it out event May 18,2018. • Regional studies update(Gardner-Sweeney) o SH 119 Bus Rapid Transit&commuter bikeway—RTD hearings next week. Working with county and other cities on how access into Boulder is designed- focus on ridership,route alignment. Important that RTD hear from the community. • Other matters B. Matters from the Board 110:55 p.m.1 • Follow-up from TAB Board Retreat—TAB members should forward comments to Rigler. To discuss changes to the draft letter,TAB must publicly notice the topic as a public hearing at the June meeting. Major point is to request a change to the charter. Nicoll will send a letter to City Council as a private citizen and position them to expect a letter from TAB next month. Discuss priorities next month. • TAB 2018 Capital Improvements Program(CIP)Tour—June 20,2018. TAB members encouraged to submit other specific location requests in addition to the Broadway/Violet Street area. • Environmental Advisory Board(EAB)Joint Advisory Board Meeting—requesting that two TAB members attend a joint boards meeting in August or September. • Updates re:collaboration with other city boards. • NicoIl talked with Bilich regarding OSBT and learning about their master plan process to identify best practices. • Rigler reported interest from the Planning Board in more collaboration with TAB. • Open Board Comment • Comment about the amazing impact that LPI has had at Hanover/Broadway intersection. • Comment that staff reply regarding request for no turn on red signal at Table Mesa and Moorhead may not be sufficient. • Email about Neighborhood Parking Permit(NPP)Program expansion- requests a way for adjacent streets to be able to participate and for current NPP neighborhoods to exit. NPP creates an issue for service providers like housekeepers,domino/spillover effect exacerbates. TAB members are welcome to forward comments to Sweeney to forward to Melissa Yates. Sweeney to arrange meeting between Nicoll and Yates as well. Agenda Item 13: Future Schedule Discussion 111:21 p.m.] • McIntyre excused for October 2018 meeting. • Civic Area East Bookend and Alpin -Balsam Area Kickoff Event May l4,2018. TAB Minutes 14 May,2018 Page 7 of 8 • Confluence Area Information Session May 21,2018. • Study Session with 30"and Colorado May 22,2018,8:00 p.m. Agenda Item 14:Adjournment 111:23 p.m.] There being no further business to come before the board at this time,by motion regularly adopted,the meeting was adjourned at 11:23 p.m. Motion: moved to adjourn: Bigler Second: McIntyre Motion passes 5:0:0 Date,Time,and Location of Next Meeting: The next meeting will be a regular meeting on Monday, I 1 June,2018 in the Council Chambers,2nd floor of the Municipal Building.at 6 .m.;unless otherwise decided by staff and the Board. ROVED BY: — ATTEST Bo d Chai Board Secret Date Date An audio recording of the full meeting for which these minutes are a summary is available on the Transportation Advisory Board web page. TAB Minutes 14 May,2018 Pagc 8 of 8