Loading...
TAB Retreat Meeting Summary (Draft)CITY Or BOULDER TRANSPORTATION ADVISORY BOARD TAB Retreat July 1, 2003 - 13~h Street Conference Room Meeting Summary The purpose of the retreat was to discuss TAB operations, TAB/staff operations, and to consider goals and prioriries for the Board for the commg year. Participants mcluded TAB members Brant Liebmann, Jim Rettew, Krista Holland and John Tayer, Transportatro~~~~rector Tracy Wmfree, ~, ~~ and facilitator Kari V. Henderson. ,,;~;~~ ~ The following is a summary of the goals and action items the Board: 2003 TAB Goals (no pnoritv assi ng ment)• s"~~~~,n, ~"f "~~,~ 1. Interact with other key City boards and outsi~~gencies on issues of mvite representatives from other relevant s to TAB~meet~ngs to their objectrves and pnorrties TAB metiiber"s~ ~'~,olunt~~~to haison ~ ~4~~3 v relevant boards. ~~~r~n~~d •~ 2. Monitor regional issues• ~~„, • establish a regular TAB ag~~'*i~~j '~ called R a~~~~E~~ board members ~°y~,, ~~~` ,4 ~ • participate mdividually in puli~~c foru ~ s~~~ al mterest; ~ ~oard on '~ents for from staff and establish a calendar of known meetings `~° "t' ~ ~ `"' ~~, • invrte Di~~~~~~~ `~' of the RTD `~~ard to a T~~ dinner ~ia~ 3~,a~~t ~~~~~ ,r~ ~~, ~5_~~ 3. Contmue th~`"~ a~Tpdate~~ocess in its cut~~,~ course: • place an e~~~~al i~j~~~Ily Came~`~about why TAB supports the TMP Update . ,~„~,~c~,nember~~~,~ieee fi~i'~j~~~#~uals who are key to adopt~on 4. .Q2~o'~ssroads red`~~~pmen~~~~por~ation elements. •~,,;~ ~` ,~ track issue"~: "~ atten~~' I~'~#Tic forums . • `y ~ morutor and ~~"~ract wal~h the plannmg process ~,~ ,~yY ~,~:i~ 5. Have b''~,~~~ updates ~~;regular meetmgs, wrth opportumCy for questions and comments. 1. Conduct proac~;' e research and site visits as appropriate, mdividually and in groups. 2. "Matters" agenda item. chair to coordmate email suggestions for discussion, orgamze discussion under bullet points with assigned times 3. Individual TAB members to participate m relevant planning subcommittees, report back to Board at regular meetmgs under "Matters" agenda item 4. Program the "To Do° hst in response to pressmg priorities and the demand on staff time and resources; revise the hst at least twice per year. The following is a summary of the main points of discussion and conclusions reached by the group: The group discussed how TAB operations are workmg, and made several suggestions for improvements There was agreement that the process runs well and the Board continues to see improvements as time goes on. Members all voiced a desire to have more time for the "Matters" agenda item. John agreed to coordinate discussion items for "Matters" by email prior to each meetmg, and to assign timeframes for discu~~'i~OOn. 2 Jim proposed conducting more research on key matters, p~~~~ly mcluding site visits. He noted that site visits yield valuable mformation and prq~~~ ~'~~Ql of neighborhood outreach. The group discussed how to weigh the dema;p,~ds on~SE~m ~me and City resources for site visits, and concluded that site vt&i~,~~ni~ht be ar~a",`'~~l when there is a clear advantage to doing so and less of a dema~''~on staff. Site visits ~~~}]~d occur as individuals or groups ~;+~~r ~ ~~~'+~`~ ~ .~;~~r*y{p~ ~, `t ~~;:~;~::~ o-, ~v~~`q`)~ ~~i ~~iP\ `{~xij4 3 TAB interaction with oYher community issues an u ro~~5s w~s discussed aC~~ength. The ~fe'~ gioup agreed that the TAB should connect inform~ y~yvith oYher advisory boards, plamm~g committees and cit~zen` c~u~s and share m~t~~ff tion on key issues. It was agreed that mdividual TAB memb~~i; A~lld volunteer~~ art~~ipation in oYher groups working on matters of mCerest to th'~'~~~~~~rovide bri~~~s as appropriate at Board ,~~ ~f~ ~=~;a~ ~ meehngs under the "Matters" agenda ~~em. ~x~q`~~~f,~ ss 4. Btuldmg mter-bo• ~~~ "~ shi s was a~s~ of mteres'R'~t was a reed that individual TAB ~, #? P , , ~' B members "ado ~'~~anothel~'i~rd working pn issues of mterest to the TAB Monitormg other board~~'k~~;~~;~as, atte ` ng boards' m'~ti~gs and occasionally checkmg m by phone with the chairper~ta~~,,~re ~ ar~,}~al ways TA~~Can monitor key issues. It was also decided ~~;~,~, ro n _~,w=,_ „ that the~ .„ will m`~~t ~p e~~,~~~t` ,~~''dther boards Co TAB dmner meetings m the sq &~. ~~~ ~i~, "F~~k3~~~i~ !~~~rences~~tn' so they ~an hear about other boards' ob~ectives and share ~ ~~ormation on~i~~~~~1 prib`~,~, . _ ~~A~~'s. ~' ~ u~ ~ ~~~~"'~ ~~ :~~ 's 5. `~ '~1~'~' was discussio `',~~i how,C~i''e TAB ixught mteract more with Yhe Planning Board and the~j~ ' mg process,'';`~ecially with respect to the 28`~' - 30'h corndor plan. It was noCed thaC ~~~~ on the sx` ~rmg committee for that project, and that TAB members will be invited to' ~'~mm~~.,~~arrette. John clarified that the Planning Board operates under the authority of ~~~1~~'g law, and is able to make decisions based on input. TAB, on the other hand, is p~'ely advisory m nature, without the abilrty to decide land use or zonmg matters `' 6. The group discussed the possibility of havmg formal meetmgs with other boards, mcludmg Planning Board. Tracy said scheduling formal meetings wrth other boards requires substantive issues and mformation, packet generation and other activiries which take a great deal of time and staff effort. She suggested that informal avenues of networkmg with other boatds are more effective in accomplishing the fluid exchange of informat~on and relationship-building desired by the TAB, The Board also discussed their relationship with staff. It was unanimously agreed that the Transportation staff rocks. The Board has a great deal of confidence m the staff. Tracy expressed her concerns about the continuing and deepening budget cuts, and how that will affect staffing and services She said that durmg times of high expectations and low resources, the Board needs to keep a critrcal eye on work programs and "To Do" items The Board agreed to review their "To Do" list, keepmg m mind demands on staff and relative pnorities with other matters The list will be reviewed aC least twice yearly by the Board. ~;~,,, 9. Board members talked about their mterachons with sYaff recommendations. Jim thought some staff inen alternahves other than their recommendahon. Brant has become more open to ophons and flexible ove~- contmwng efforts to supply the TAB with cos~~~ig~m asked that this effort contmue. a-x~„,_ 10. The Board discussed the lack of progress on soiii~ staff. IY was agreed that the Board needs a strong propose to staff. Krista noted tha`~~ @"bikes on s~ been useful to explore. ~`~~~~;'"~~a= ~~~.~~~_ 11. The Board reflected on their goals nearmg adoption, Tracy noted that ] process „~~ 12. In preparation sYaPf's 2903_tr 13 ~~~~~ ~ Board a~ t ~~~hev will when mquirmg about llmg to consider g he beheves staff ~ preciates the ~~~ternahves, and that can~~5e a dratn on n on any work program they is important, and that it has i~~t~"of the past year. The TMP UpdaYe is ~ma~~~~~l~e TDM process and tool kit. ideas fpt•ward on the 28`h - 30`" corridor is handed out a page summarizmg the She noted where TAB is already ~a,~~vith other boards and committees is a top priority, and mformal avenues of building relationships wIIh others 14 Monitorin`~g'~~ ional,'~"~ues was also agreed to be a top priority. TAB members recogmze that it may n~ ~~ipropriate for them to take the lead on regional issues, but confirmed their mtenhon~~~ytay informed and participate in public forums, as appropriate. The group agreed t~ mvite Dick McLean from the RTD Board to brief them on RTD's priorrties. 15. The Board also determmed to contrnue with the TMP Update process on its current course. The Board will wrrte an editorial near the time of plan adophon, stating the reasons why they support it. TAB members will also interact mformally with others who are key to the adoption of the TMP Update. 16. The Board also decided to mteract with the Crossroads redevelopment process by participatmg m the pubhc plannmg process. 17. TAB members are also concerned about the status of the City budget They agreed to heat budget updates by staff on a regular basis, as a way of gauging Board priorities. 18 19 n i~ The issue of learmng more about the rules and laws governing multi-use paths came up at the end of the meeting Tracy suggested having a conversation with staff (without requirmg a written report) at an upcoming meetmg would be the best way to gain