Loading...
2 - Minutes, June 21, 2007CITY OF BOULDER PLANNING BOARD ACTION MINUTES June 21, 2007 1777 Broadway, Council Chambers A permanent set of these minutes and a tape recording (maintained for a period of seven years) are retained in Central Records (telephone: 303-441-3043). Minutes and streaming audio are also available on the web at: http://www.ci.boulder.co.us/planning/planningboard/agendas PLANNING BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Elise Jones, Chair Willa Johnson Andrew Shoemaker Phil Shull Adrian Sopher PLANNING BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT: Bill Holicky, recused Richard Sosa, absent STAFF PRESENT: David Gehr, Assistant City Attorney Louise Grauer. Planner II Ruth McHeyser, Acting Planning Director Susan Richstone, Acting Long Range Planning Manager Randall Rutsch, Transportation Planner Mike Sweeney, Coordinator of Transportation Operations and Planning Mary Ann Weideman, Administrative Services Manager 1. CALL TO ORDER Vice Chair, P. Shull, declared a quorum at 6:18 p.m. and the following business was conducted. 2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES No minutes were scheduled for approval. 3. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION No one spoke during public participation. 4. DISCUSSION OF DISPOSITIONS, PLANNING BOARD CALL-UPS No items were scheduled for discussion. 5. ACTION ITEMS A. Public hearing on the Transit Village Area Plan Public Review Draft including: • Report on public input to date and City Council June 5 discussion . Schedule for Plan Adoption . Planning Boazd feedback on Public Review Draft Project Manager: Louise Grauer, Planner Staff Presentation R. McHeyser, stated this was the last staff check-in with the Planning Boazd prior to a joint public hearing with City Council tentatively scheduled for August 29. She added that City Council has also scheduled this item for a Special Meeting on July 17. L. Grauer provided an overview of the proposed schedule for adoption. She also identified the topics to be discussed as Connections; Land Use; Density Bonus; Depot Plaza and Historic Depot; and Phasing, Funding and Implementation. E. Jones, Chair, joined the meeting at 625 p.m. Connections Staff Presentation L. Grauer stated a property owner's meeting will be scheduled for properties located between 28`h Street and 30`h Street, and Valmont and Bluff Street to discuss some possible development options. Lynn Guissinger, Transportation Advisory Board Chair, expressed the concerns of the Transportation Advisory Board (TAB). She stated that TAB was in favor of making 29 'h Streel a narrower street but not an alley. She commented that an alley may be administratively deleted, which would not be an appropriate option for this street Regazding Bluff Street, TAB felt a signalized intersection would work better as the current proposal is not consistent with the Design and Construction Standards. She said TAB recommended a multi-use path on the north side of Pearl Parkway and Junction Place should connect with 34'" Street. Public Hearing Bob Louden, Box 151, Manitou Springs; pooled time with Steve Louden, 4710 Table Mesa Dr. Andrew Cookler, PO Box 358, Nederland Board Discussion For the Connections topic, the Planning Board discussed the following key themes: 29 %z Street P. Shull, A. Shoemaker, and A. Sopher were not in favor of supporting the street. W. Johnson and E. Jones were in favor of supporting a"skinny" street. Bluff Street W. Johnson, P. Shull, A. Shoemaker, and A. Sopher were comFortable with the street as presented. E. Jones inquired about moving it towards the north. Pearl Parkwav The board supported Pearl Parkway as presented. Junction Place The board supported 33`d Street and 34`" Street as presented. Steelvards The board stated that it would be fine if the alley was deleted. The board felt it was important for the buildings to have double-sided fronts. 2 Caz-Free Zone The boazd requested language regarding the vision of having car-free zones. The intent is to describe a pedestrian-friendly or a car-free zone concept for a future Planning Boazd to consider. Land Use Staff Presentation L. Grauer identified the issues related to the Land Use topic as residential/mixed-use on the north side of Goose Creek, west of the tracks; service commercial/service industrial; and MU-1 Old Pearl. Public Hearing No one spoke to this item. Board Discussion For the Land Use topic, the board discussed the following key themes: Blumenheim Propertv Proposed Land Use W. Johnson, E. Jones, and P. Shull supported the land use as presented with consideration of putting the power lines underground when funds become available. A. Shoemaker and A. Sopher supported a change to mixed-use land use. Service Commercial/Service Industrial The board expressed concern that this land use designation is being displaced. The board commented that other potential sites need to be evaluated in a future study. The concept of a density bonus for this land use designation was discussed. Recess The board recessed at 8:33 p.m. and reconvened at 8:39 p.m. Densitv Bonus Staff Presentation L. Grauer identified the issues related to the Density Bonus topic as affordable housing and LEED certification. Public Hearing Andrew Cookler, PO Box 358, Nederland Board Discussion For the Density Bonus topic, the board discussed the following key themes: LEED Certification The board supported the idea to revise the text from LEED "Certification" to LEED "Standazd." Densitv Bonus The board supported providing incentives for what the mazket isn't going to naturally deliver. The board requested further information on how to support green tech pazk as well as other locations for it within the Transit Village Area. 3 Historic Deoot and Depot Plaza Staff Presentation R. McHeyser updated the board on the City Council direction of identifying a permanent site for a one-move solution. Pub-ic Hearing No one spoke to this item. Historic Denot The board expressed a preference to move the Historic Depot to the end of Bluff Street but felt it was ultimately City Council's decision. Deoot Plaza The board concurred that a plaza should remain at the end of Bluff 3treet. The board commented that some type of structure such as a pavilion, if not the Historic Depot, should be reflected on the plan. Phasine, Fundin¢. and Imolementation Staff Presentation L. Grauer presented information related to this topic as described in the staff inemorandum dated June 21, 2007. Public Hearing No one spoke to this item. Board Discussion For this topic, the board discussed the following key themes: Fundine The board discussed their role in supporting the plan. Timine of Staff Work on Imnlementation The board expressed that more certainty and detail about timing of implementation would be useful. Accomplishine Goals and Obiectives Board Discussion The board agreed to put thoughts about specific improvements to the plan in writing. The board discussed July 5 as the date to check-in on the theme of accomplishing goals and objectives. 6. MATTERS FROM THE PLANNING BOARD, PLANNING DIRECTOR, AND CITY ATTORNEY R. McHeyser provided an overview of the wark plan For code amendments. 4 DEBRIEF/AGENDA CHECK 8. ADJOURNMENT The Planning Board adjourned the meeting at 10:48 p.m. APPROVED BY Board Chair Date