Loading...
Approved Minutes - 8/25/2003DO NOT REMOVE - PRAB File Material ,~-~ City of Boulder L,,,, Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Minutes August 25, 2003 City Council Chambers 1777 Broadway 6 p.m. The following are the minutes of the August 25, 2003 Ciry of Boulder Parks and Recreat~on Adv~sory Board nteeting (PRAB) A permanent set of these m~nutes and a tape recording (matnta~ned for a per~od of 6 years) are retained ~n Central Records (telephone • 303-441-3043). Board Present: Chazles Manlove, Chair, Susan Osborne, Vice Chav, Ed von Bleichert, Pam Hoge, Suzanne O'Neill, Tom Sanford, Stu Stuller Staff Present: Jan Geden, Frank Bruno, Alice Guthrie, Sazah DeSouza, Doug Hawthome, Jeff Lakey, Jamte Sabbach, Lisa Bondi, Ten Olander, Ruta O'Connor, Sheny Brown, Bnan Hams, Todd Caivm, K~erston Buzek ~ I. APPROVAL OF AGENDA The agenda was approved as submrtted II. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION Cit~zen ParticipaUon was opened Mary Louise Chavers, 1260 Lmden, spoke agamst holdmg the Rez Fest at Boulder Reservou because it was known to have mosquitoes carrymg West Nile Vuvs She also is opposed to spraymg pesticides at the Boulder Reservou James Johnson, 130 Manhattan Dnve, spoke agamst the proposed development and landfill pro~ect on the Hogan property near the East Boulder Commumty Center Kirk Cumm~gham, 1842 Canyon Blvd, #204, speakmg on behalf of the Sierra Club Indian Peaks Group, expressed opposition to spraymg for adult mosquIIOes carrymg West Nile Vuvs Cit~zen Part~cipation was ciosed ~ III. CONSENT AGENDA The mmutes of July 28, 2003 were approved as subrmtted. IV. MATTERS FROM THE DEPARTMENT Geden stated that Frank Bruno, City Manager, and Alice Guthrie, Integrated Pest Management Coordmator, were on hand to answer quesuons Boazd members had regardmg spraymg for mosquitoes canymg West N~le Virus • Several Board members expressed concern over holdmg pubhc events afrer duk m areas where mosquitoes have been found to carry the West Nile Vuvs • Some Board members expressed concern for people's safety during and afrer the spraymg • Some Board members questtoned the effect~veness of spraymg for adult mosqu~toes and expressed a preference for mcreased use of lazvacide to prevent eggs from developmg. • There was discussion about data obtamed from mosqu~to traps set around the reservov and the perimeter of Boulder. Bruno said the issue is difficult for everyone and that he understands the Boazd's concems ,"'~ LandfilUEarthwork on Land South of East Boulder Commumt~Center Pazk Site There was a br~ef discussion on the proposed development and whether or not it rcught affect the ,,,,~ water table m the area Prauie Do~ Ordmance There was a bnef discussion on the temporary suspension of endorsement of the City's Prauie Dog Ordmance Central Park ReQaus There was a bnef discuss~on on the cost of work to be done and the landscape design wrth regazd to usmg drought tolerant plantmgs Signage was suggested to label drought tolerant plants. Master Plan Work Session Update The Board was renunded that the September 8 meetmg will be held m the City Yazds conference room located at 5050 E. Peazl Street. Valmont Park and Boulder Transit Villa~e Update Lakey provided Board members with an update on the Boulder Transrt Village as rt relates to the potenual relocation of Pollazd Motors to Valmont CRy Pazk (VCP]. Hoge asked about ummg for the City Manager to make a decision on the matter Geden responded that it wasn't anUC~pated that a decision would be made wh~le the current Council is seated. Counc~l Members indicated they want to have a ducusston on the matter whzle the current Council as st~ll seated (elect~on w~ll be held November 4, 2003) '"""` PRAB Meeung Mmutes OS725l2003 - Page ? ,,..., Lakey mformed the Boazd that Pazks and Recreauon staff has been asked to develop a map that ~,,, would conceptually show where Pollazd Motors could be located on six acres m VCP This map would also need to mclude roads Lakey said he and Geden would lilce to meet with Boazd members (mdrndually or m paus) next week to deterrrune what Boazd members thmk the map should look l~lce Lakey said that at the September 22 PRAB meetmg there would be Board d~scuss~on on this issue and Boazd members would receive a diagram and a hst of ~mpacts to the current pazk plan There will be a formal public heazmg and Board members will take act~on on this matter at the October 27 PRAB meetmg. On October 28 there will be a ~omt study session with PRAB members and City Council members Stuller asked if the Board was bemg duected to determme which s~x acres of land that Pollazd is to recerve Geden repked that the area in question as on the east side of Goose Creek and ad~acent to Pearl Parkway Thas ts an area of the park not purchased by Parks and Recreatzon but was purchased years ago w~th General Fund money Osborne spoke on the importance of not distinguishmg between "park owned land" and "city land" as land under the management of every city departments ~s considered "city land" Lakey asked for the Board's help to create a map and hst of impacts He said there is not a lot of flexibihty m terms of where Pollard would be srtuated on the site; rather the flexibihty would ~ be m the location of Auport Road. Lakey added that the six acres Pollard has requested is approximately the amount of land allocated for a recreation center O'Neill asked if it has already been dectded that Pollazd w~ll get this land Lakey replaed:n the neganve. O'Neill said if the PRAB helps create a map allowmg for Pollud to be srtuated m VCP rt will only help to move the process further along m that duection Instead of domg that she recommended the PRAB state that it is opposed to the idea of relocaring Pollazd Motors m VCP. Geden said the dilemma is that the City Manager has requested that the Department develop the options It can either be from staff s perspective or it can be done workmg m concert with the Boazd. The City Manager has been asked by Counc~l to look at two compehng crty-w~de ob~ectives. The Transrt Village ~s a very important long term project for the city and there is also a long term busmess in the crty that needs to be relocated to meet that goal The Crty Manager feels that Crty Council will not exerc~se its condemnation authonty m this case. In addrtion, there is Pazks and Recreation and VCP to be taken mto considerauon Council wants to have a d~scussion on this matter before the upcommg elecuon Geden said she wants to meet with Boazd members to hear theu concerns and what they would l~lce staff to address at the September meeang This will ensure that staff understands the Boazd's concerns and also help staff look at possibilrties Osbome said she did not want to participate m this work effort and other Boazd members l~" mdicated they were m agreement with her Osborne said she and Hoge discussed wrrtmg a Vrr PRAB Meenng Mmutes O8/25/2003 - Page 3 letter to the edrtor opposmg the use of VCP land for the relocation of Pollard Motors and havmg ,.,R other Board members sign on or add to it if they wish Osborne said she wants to ge[ sometlung m the newspaper to reach people who care about the future of VCP Gedea said if Boazd members do not wish to participate m the process then staff will bramstorm and come back to the Board m September wrth theu option(s) for the Board to d~scuss von Ble~chert said the Board can easily state what ihe impacts would be without gomg through the exercise of drawmg a map showmg Pollard Motors located m VCP Several obvious ~mpacts are the el~mmation of the recreation center and pazkmg, which was already madequate He felt that Boazd members should draft a hst of unpacts to the park wrthout acceptmg and appearmg to make concessions to havmg Pollard relocate onto VCP land von Bleichert spoke about what the Board went through when trymg to mclude natural azeas and w~ldhfe comdors along w~th active recreation m VCP At that time the Boazd was repeatedly reaunded of the previously approved concept plan which could not be changed. Sanford said other unpacts to the park would be the ehnunation of the wildl~fe comdor and traffic on Pearl would be moved to Valmont Road Hoge suggested not providmg a road for Pollard by contmumg Auport Road through the pazk She said the Boatd should not make rt easy for Pollard to locate his busmess m VCP. von Bleichert said the Board has always had concern with a through road that did not have a setup sim~laz to East Boulder Commumty Center (EBCC), where you have to slow down to go ~' through the facilrty He was concerned that Pollard said they lilced th~s locaaon because of the added traffic Auport Road would bnng Osborne said she and Hoge will drafr theu letter and have rt ready to go to the newspaper Placement will be carefully timed to let people know when the public heanng will be held Geden said staff will come back to the Boazd m September with theu best analysis of what the impacts aze and at that time the Boazd can add to that hst Osborne said von Bleichert went and looked at Pollazd's current srte. The northern boundazy of the srte has the exact same power transmission hnes that go through the property farther down at Valmont There are addIIional high power hnes that go down 30`~ Street and m the middle of the property is a transformer that has wues gomg out m all duecuons Osborne said the presence of so many power lines on Pollazds current property seems to mvalidate his ob~ect~on to one transmiss~on hne on the City Yazds property Geden replied that Pollard's other usues ~ncluded a leghted intersection, the concept of a ma~n entrance to the park or even higher v~s~b~liry on Pearl Parkway. Geden said she and Lakey would ask Boazd members after the meeung if any of them want to meet wrth staff P2AB ~leenng Mmutes 08/25/2003 - Page 4 ~ von Bleichert said rt would be helpful to know the height of the power lmes because on the new ~r site Pollazd would have roughly 90% fewer power Lnes than they currently have He felt Pollard's ob~ect~on to power lmes was not a val~d azgument for re~ectmg the City Yards srte Osborne suggested the city offer to underground the power lmes on the s~[e a[ the Crty Yards m response to Poliard's ob~ection. V. MATTERS FROM BOARD MEMBERS There was discussion about a fundraiser on September 12 to raise funds to pubhc~ze the ballot issue on the 15 sales tax extens~on and raise awareness on how ~t might benefit Parks and Recreation Board members were asked to take postcazd mvrtahons to send to anyone who nught be mterested m attendmg the fundraiser There was diswssion on whether parkmg needs for future uses at Valmont C~ty Pazk have been adequately planned There was discussion about efforts to resurrect the old Boulder City Improvement Assoc~ation The goal of the group will be to improve public lands m Boulder and prov~de ways for cit~zens to get mvolved VI. ITEMS FOR ACTION There were no Items for Action ~ ~,,,.. VII. ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION/INFORMATION A. Staff Presentation - Athletics Olander mtroduced the Athletics staff to the Boazd Staff gave a presentation of some of the highLghts of theu work VIII. FUTURE BOARD ITEMS AND TOURS Master Plan Study Session - 6 p m. September 8, 2003 at the City Yacds conference room located at 5050 E Pearl Street IX. NEXT BOARD MEETING: September 22, 2003 X. ADJOURN The meetmg ad~ourned at 8 35 p m ~ PRAB Meetmg Mmutes 08/25/2003 - Page 5 APPROVED BY PARKS AND ..,, RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD C ~~~ ~~~ Chazles Manlove Board Chau Attest '~J Georgi cksd Recordmg Secretary PRAB Meenng Minutes 08/25/2003 - Page 6