Loading...
Approved Minutes - 5/19/2003City of Boulder Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Minutes May 19, 2003 North Boulder Recreation Center 3170 Broadway 6 p.m. The following are the minutes of the May 19, 2003 City of Bouldet~ Parks antl Recreation Advi.rory Board meeting (PRAB) A permanerct set of these mcnutes and a tape recordang (rnaantaaned for a peraod of 6 years) are reta~ned in Central Records (telephone 303-441-3043). Board Present: Charles Manlove, Chair; Thomas Sanford, Suzanne O'Neill, Pam Hoge and Stu SYuller Board Absent: Susan Osborne, Vice Chair; Ed von Bletchert Staff Present: Jan Geden, Fiank Bruno, Jeff Lakey, Jamie Sabbach, Doug Hawthorne, Geargia Jackson, Ten Olander, Julya Bridgewater, Chuck McElwam, Ann Wichmann, Cate Bradley and Tom Kramei I. APPROVAL Or AGENDA The introduction of Frank Bruno, Crty Manager, was moved to first on the agenda. II. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION Crtizen Parucipation was opened. No one spoke Citi~en Participation was closed. III. CONSENT AGENDA The rrunutes of Apii128 were approved as submitted. IV. MATTERS F'ROM THE DF,PARTMENT Intioduction of Fiank Bruno Manlove wclcomed the City Manager and eaid the Board appreciated lhe opportumty to meet h~m Bruno spoke brieily about his background, wark history and experience with parks and recreation m the city of Fort Collms, He also spoke about the challenges of budget cuts. Bruno thanked Board members for theii work and contribution to the Bouider community 2004-2009 Greenw~s Capital Impiovement Piogram Manlove said Gieenways improvements between Broadway and ] 9`~' Street might impact the undevelopcd park srte located there. Geden suad statj would look cnto the matter to see what degree of anvolvement maght be needed by Parks and Recreation staff Hoge asked ~f there was coardination of weed management along the Greenways Geden replied that the approved IPM process was an place and each entaty responsable for rraaantenance has to follow the analysas procedure beFore any treatment could be done on those lands. Manlove said all departments are followmg the same ptocedural guidelmes. O'Neall added that she dad not know of uny coordanation of departments and ,sa~d the treatment of noxaous weeds was an ongoang process. Geden said she would e- mail Guthrie to fmd out if there is coordmation of weed management along the Greenways by various entities Manlove said he assumed Annie Noble, Grcenways Coordinator, was followmg what ~s bemg done along Greenways. Progress on paik land ac~c u~srtion under the 1995 (0 25%) Sales Tax mrtiatrve Hoge said in the past the Boaid has expressed a desire for flexibility to respond quickly if and when land becomes available for purchase. She mqui~ed about speedmg up the process to re-allocate funds Geden replaed Chat an outgoeng years there is some money allocated for thas purpose She addecl that af a properry came on the market that was of anterest, staff would come to the Board to look at re-priorztizing the current Capctal Impravement Program (CIP) Geden reminded Boarcl members that at present there asn't a lot of money in the CIP to purehase land Manlove said the Board has had such discussions m the past but the current problem is stu•mkmg resources. He added lhat there wasn't enough money lo set aside m case somethmg comes up. Manlove said it makes sensc to allocate the available resouices, recogmzmg that if somethmg comes up the Board can re-pnaritize pro~ects and re- allocaYe those resources. Hoge said she wanted to know how the process of re-allocating funds could be expedited so as not to miss opportumties Geden replaed that staf f could come back quackly to the Board with ~nformataon on allocataon and choaces as there is not a lot of flexabal~ty an the capital budget Bridgewater mformed Board members that $2 7 million of the $20 milhon budget is spenY on debt service which means over 10°l0 of the budget is spenY to pay off land thaC that was previouely purchased. Manlove added that even if there weie money set aside, Board members would st~ll have to have a d~scussion to determme whether they wanted to make a purchase. Sanford satid setting asade funds is difficult as the purchase prices of land can vary greatly Mmutes PRAII Meetmg OS/19/2003-Page 2 Geden said she heard Hoge saymg she would I~kc to jump start Yhe process for land purchases as they comc up Gedcn said lhat ~f land becomes available staff could easily be prepared to come Co lhe Board at the next meetmg and address the issue O'Neill said she would hke eCaff to look for creative solutions for such thmgs as pocket parks She added that neighborhood groups might be willmg to pitch in and take care oT the park mamtenance Geden said Goss Grove is a Transpoitation Department easement ihat neighbors considered a park. She spoke of how Parks and Recreauon staff and neighbors worked together to make ~mprovements there Hawthorne saad the viceaghbor•hood workecl with Growang Gardens to obtain a grant to turn one of the three sates into a communaty garden. Hawthorne added that a bench, trash can and dog pool~ collectton stations were added at each of those locations Sanford asked if revenue from lhe Lottery Fund ~e still stable Geden repl~ed an the affarmative and saed that property trtixes and the Lottery Fund are the most stable funcltng sources V. MATTERS FROM I30ARD MEMBERS Hoge referred to the d ee mamtenance easement foi the Feder properly that was discussed at the April PRAB meeung Shc wanted to know if the homeowners could cut down the trees Hawthorne expluined Chat the tree maantenance easement was for the homeowner to be able to tram branches overhangang the clraveway. Hoge asked if staff had a date for the MasCer Plan Study Session Geden replaed that staff was work~ng on at O'Neill said she read m the newspaper that a hisCoric cemeCe~ y m Aspen wae bemg restored She wondered if Chey were usmg the same expert thal Bouldei was usmg and if not theie mighl be potenk~al for competitive pricmg. Hawthorne re~laed that he would check into the matter. He added thr~t staff was already an discuss~on with another firm in Denver that does headstone restoration Stullcr inquncd about re-seedmg Pleasant View Fields Hawthorne replie~l that the pro~ect would begin the second or thard week of June Ae added that the facility would be closed for several months while seven out of the etghtfaelds are re-seedect Geden said analysis is bemg done to determme what needs lo be done to brmg back thc land after last year's droughl She spoke about plans to conclude Phase I at Valmont City Park, to finish one acre out of four at Elmer's Two Mile Park and to fimsh the landscapmg at the North Boulder Reci eation Center Geden added thal staff is trymg Co Mmutes PRAB Meetmg OS/19/2003 - Pnge 3 be very ~udicious as iC is not yet known how drought conditions will be laler in the summer. Geden said a Weekly Information Packet (WIP) was bemg prepared far Council to explam what needs to be done for turf restoiation m paiks and athletic i"ields She added that Board members would also receive a copy of the WIP. Geden said seedmg and replamng sod are additional costs Lhat come al a time when the DeparCment has been asked to make a 25°~o General Fund reduction. She added that this affecLs the Paiks Div~sion Che hardest as that umY is almost entirely funded by the General Fund. Geden said staff is prioritizmg the budget and how facilities are managed by first mamtaming to the highest levcl the revenue ~enerating facilrties. Manlove said there are clearly communicataon assues that w~ll need to he urldressed. Hawthonre mformed the Board that Public Works has ~usC mformed Parks and Recreation ihat an additional three milhon gallons of waCer is available for field resCoration. This additional water called "free flow" ~s available through tbe end of June and is water that would simply flow downstream if not used. The additional water will be added onto the current water allotment Stuller said he would l~ke information on turf and field restoraCion to be made available to the public m the newspaper Geden saticl thes anformation would be communacated to the press VI. ITEMS FOR ACTION A. Review of 2004 Parks and Recreation Capital Improvement Program Presenters: Jan Geden, CPRP, Director of Parks and Recreation Julya Bridgewater, Administrative Services Division Director Bridgewater gave a brief overview of the Capital Improvement Program budget On a motion by Stuller, seconded by O'Neill, the Parks and Recreation Advisory Boaid voted unarumously (5 - 0 with Osborne and von Bleichert absent) to approvethe proposed CIP B. Public hearing and consideration of a motion to renew an Agreement with the Boulder Aeromodeling society to use the Boulder Model Airport facility Presenters: Jan Geden, CPRP, Director of Parks and Recreation Ann Wichmann, Environmental Resources Manager Wichmann spoke briefly about the issue and conceins related to renewing an Agreement w~th the Boulder Aeromodelmg Society (BAS) to use the Boulder Model A~iport facilrty. The Publ~c Hearing was opened. Mmutes PRAB Mcetmg OS/19/2004-Page 4 No one spoke The Public Hearmg was closed On a molion by Sanfoid, seconded by Hoge, the Parks and Recreation Adv~soiy Board voted unanimously (5 - 0 wiCh Osborne and von Bleichert absenl) lo approve the agreement wrth the Boulder Aeromodelmg Society VII. ITEMS FOR DISCUS5ION/INFORMATION A. Proposed City of Boulder Lighting Ordinance Presenter: Jan Geden, CPRP, Director of Parks and Recreation JefT Lakey, Superintendent of Parks and Recreation Planning and Development Lakey gave the Qoard an overview of the proposed hghtmg ordmance Board Comments and Questions • Sanford said he agrees with the lightmg ordmance as a goal to reach for but said he would like to see lightmg fixtuies allowed to remam m place through their cuirent life cycle. A~ that time they could be replaced wilh lightmg that ts in compliance • Manlove suggested degrees of non-compliance With lightmg t~xtures baiely over lhe threshold he suggested letting the fixlures wear out but fixlures 200% over the limrt would have to be ch~nged immediately • Hoge agrees with lhe not~on of trymg to evaluate m teims of what makes more sense For example, if the newly mstalled lighYing at the Norih Boulder Recieation Center were not m comphance, she would not hke to have to replace it • Hoge strongly supports the notion Chat if something is egiegious ~t should be a pnority for replacement She would like to prioritize that way irutially, even before the 15-year amort~zation Lakey mformed Board members that he recently was notified of conce~ ns aboul the lights at MapleCOn Ballfield Lakey stated thal Plannmg Department staff really liked the hghting of the North Boulder Recreation Center parkmg lot. • Stuller asked for claiification on staff's Chird recommendation lo the Plannmg Board and Crty Council Lakey gave an example of a parkang lot w~th an ~sland an the meddle of at that has both a tree ancl kghtang ~n it. If the code changes and does not allow for a tree next to a light then eather the tree would have to be cut down or move the light Lakey saad staff wants to ra~se the issue of resolvang confl~cts with other plannang sYandar~ds. Mmuteti PRAB Meetmg OS/19/2003 - Pxge 5 • Manlove suggested removmg the words "If the fmal ordmance overlooks these issues, then" from the begmning of the last senlence m stafP's second recommendalion The second recommendation would thcn begm wrth "I'he cost to bring the DepaiCment's facihties mto compliance will " • Board members were m agreement w~th the recommendations and their comments w~ll be given to Planning Board and Council B. Review Site Review Application for the proposed Northfield Commons and Vojta Farms (formerly NorihCeld Meadows) subdivisions Presenters: ,ian Geden, CPRP, Director of Parks and Recreation Cate Bradley, Parks and Recreation Planner Jeff Eckert, Coast to Coast Development Mike Randall, Planning Department Bradley gave an overvicw of the process to dale and said Board comments would be foiwarded to the Plamm~g Board for their coneideration as they review the Srte Review submittal Board Comments and Ouestions • San1'ord said he feels the park s~zes are too small for the density of the area. and asked about the numbei of units in Vo~ta Farms and No~lhfield Commons. Randull replied that the proposed conceptplan ha.s 141 untts at Vo~ta Farms and 190 unats at Northfield He added that the density ~s not low in part because of the hegh percentage of affordable unats. • Bradley said given CounciPs stiong support for development of affo~dable housing opporCUnrties m the community thc developeis aie tiymg to balance providmg enough affordable housmg on the site with settmg aside acreage for private homeownei association parks. • Bradley stated the park acreage per lhousand standard was bemg met However, the sizes of the paiks do not meet the five ac~ e minimum netghborhood park standard and therefore the service iadius (1/4 mile f'or undei 5 ac~es and one-half mile for 5 acres or larger) She pomted out that Slks Park (wesC of 28~~' Street) has a one-half mile aervice iadius extendmg mto the developments because an underpass can be used to access the park Bradiey added that because of such overlappmg service areas there ~s very httle, if any, residential development m this location that is outside of a park serv~ce radius • Hoge asked for claiificalion on standards for patk stze and setvice radius. Bradley replaed that there are two differentpark standards One standard is acreage per thousand and that staredard es being met There as also a sCandard for saze of parks relative to the serviee area Residents wtth~n a hal~ male o~a five-acre park would be considered served Lakewise residents wathan a quarter rreale of a park under five acres would he considered served by department .rtanclctrds The parks ~n these developments are all less than five acres and therefore have a quarter male servace radius. Mmutet PRAB Meehng OS/19/2003 - Page 6 Floge asked af developers have to provade parks. Bradley responded in thc negative and said commumty benefit ~s considered m an annexation and that could be a variety of thtngs such as parks or affordable housmg. Manlove atated that thcre is only so much commumty benefit thaY can be gained from an annexation and some of those thmgs are m conflict - affordable housmg and parks. Manlove said in the three scenarios developed with staff it was ~ronic that as the density went up the amount of park land m each of those scenarios wenl down As the populahon of the pro~ect mcreaeed the private open space decieased and tl~e need for pubhc open space mcieased Manlove concluded by saymg that those weiedt the devclopei's proposals and that a dtfferent proposll is being considered tonight. Sanford said the eonilicts would disappear m the Commons aiea if thc Boulder Valley School District land could be obtamed in the future for park land He feels Che park size for Vo~ta Farms will always remam madequate for Che area Hoge mquned about the possibiliry of a ~omt agreement wilh the School District to oblam a portion of the propeity for park land. Bradley said the School Dastrict is aware of the Department's anterest an that possabilaty. Hoge asked ~f it would be possible to come up wrth some money to expand those parks Bradley saad the Departrraent had orag~nally hoped to purchase one acre of land for a park. The developer will now provade two acres, one acre ~n each locateon, whtch wall be twace the amount of park lancl. Whale Chose wall be pravate homeowner assocaateon parks, staff'feels most of the area as adequately served by public park,s. Hoge said thts ts a new devclopmenl and Che time to take advantage of the situalion because laCer on the opportunity will be gone Brculley satid Board memhers would have to make that assessment- whether tha.r as an area signaficantly underser•ved and a real problem for the neighborhood. Bradley added that she d~d not know whether expandang the park s~zes could be an option at tha,s stage Eckert said the developers have tried to balancc all of the different thmgs they heard from the Planning Board in teime of commumty benefits• affordablc housmg, trail systems connectivity and environmenlal issues He added thal they also took into account the concerns expressed by the PRAB and neighborhood groups Based on all of th~s he feels the concept plan they came up with is a pretty good solution. Manlove said it bothers him that there is lhe impression that a large ai ea of the proposed developmenL is underseived, which is not the case. i'or h~m the very small 47`h and Jay corner piece Chat ~s not wrthm Yhe service radius ~s relaCrvely tmy when compared to oYher unmet areas m the whole city To ded~cate veiy hmited iesources mto this area is a very low pnorrty for Manlove. Hoge said the Board has heard in the past that Palo Park ~s heavily used for soccer practice by people from outside the ncighborhood Bradley sacd it as true that Palo Park ts used as a soccer practice field but that's true for many parks thr~~ughout the system. It's not unaque to thas locat~on and as an assue Mmuteti PRAI3 Mechug OS/19/2003 -Page 7 that came up cn the Needs Assersment Thas assue wall have to be udd~essed an the Master Plan, ~n terms of provasion of facelatees lake Yhat in locations where at's appropriate and what can be done to take sorree of Che pressure off neeghbor•hood parl~s that weren't antended to serve thatfunction. Olander said the problem comes from bemg underserved in soccer fields oi mult~- purpose fields. All those soccer players are encroaching on tl~e service areas of the parks. O'Neill asked if Yhe PRAB will be relegated to an after-Yhe-fact review of the park design Br•adley repliecl that thas as a very early stage of the revaew of a s~ec~fic submattal. Everythcng talked aboutprior to this has been conceptual /3ased on other conversataons weth the developer, Bradley feels they w~uld he amenable to sattang down and ~oang over• these desagns. Eckert concurred and said at this stage of the process they normally don't provide that kind of detail Sanfard said he hopes the homeowner associations for these parks will be a loC more diligent and cohesive than the one he lives m addmg that he has a real conecrn for homeownei association managed parks Geden concurred and .raad she has seen muny tames where the park system was asked to take on the types o~parks that the department would not have developed. Manlove said he is a little less concerned about that for th~s slte as the multi- family buildmgs will probably have extei~or mamlenance that needs to be handled through the homeowners association and not ~ust mamtenance of two small park stCes Manlove added that because of the multi-family buildmgs, the assessmenls would be m place to provide funding for Che paik mamtenance. Hoge asked if prrvate parks have to meet city standards m terms of water use and pesticide use Bradley replaed that the developers have traed to create designs that are water conserving and provade approp~~iate planting fnr this a~ea in terms of habitat and wildlefe Randall spoke on combming uses for trails, parks and stoim dramage to their best utility Board members expressed agreement with the staff recommendatrons and requestcd that iecorded comments be given lo the Plamm~g Boaid to consider as they review the Site Review applicaCion Bradlcy stated lhat staff and Board comments would be submitted to the Plannmg Board when th~s item goes to them for their ieview C. Scott Carpenter Pool update Presenters: Jan Geden, CPRP, Director of Parks and Recreation Tom Kramer, Recreation Administrator Kramer spoke brieily on lhe hislory of Scolt Carpentei Pool and provided Board members with an update on the renovation of the pool, which is scheduled to reopen on May 24 MmuteF PRAB Meetmg OS/ 19/2003 - P~ge 8 VIII. FUTUR~ BOARD ITEMS AND TOURS Tour of Coot Lake/Tom Wateon Park - The toui will mclude the mterpreCive trail, pra~rie dog srtes and noxious weeds. It was decided that stafl' would contact Board members to select a date for the tour IX. NEXT BOARD MEETING: Monday, June 23, 2003 X. ADJOURN The mectmg ad~oarned at 8:43 p m APPROVED BY PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD l' `~'i ``'_-~-_z-'_"" Charles Manlove Board Cha~r Atlest - ~ , ~j G 1--~ Georgia ~ ckson ~ Recordmg Secretary Mmutes PRAI3 Mectmg OS/19/2009-Page 9