Loading...
03.31.2003 PRAB minutes City of Boulder Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Minutes March 31, 2003 City Council Chambers 1777 Broadway 6 p.m. The following are the minutes of the March 31, 2003 City of Boulder Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meeting (PRAB). A permanent set of these minutes and a tape recording (maintained for a period of 6 years) are retained in Central Records (telephone: 303-441-3043). Board Present: Charles Manlove, Chair; Susan Osborne, Vice Chair; Thomas Sanford, Suzanne O'Neill, Pam Hoge, Ed von Bleichert and Stu Stuller Staff Present: Jan Geden, Jeff Lakey, Jamie Sabbach, Doug Hawthorne, Georgia Jackson, Kate Bernhardt, Teri Olander, Julya Bridgewater, Ann Wichmann, Lisa Bondi, Cate Bradley, Colleen Fitzgerald, Kate Love, Carol Ellinghouse, Alice Guthrie Jill Krantz, Valmont City Park Management and Planning Assistance Team(MPAT) I. APPROVAL OF AGENDA The agenda was approved as submitted. II. OATH OF OFFICE FOR NEW BOARD MEMBERS Ed von Bleichert read his Oath of Office into the record. Stu Stuller read his Oath of Office into the record. III. ELECTION OF OFFICERS Osborne opened nominations for Chair of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board. Sanford nominated Charles Manlove. Hoge nominated Susan Osborne. Osborne closed nominations. Manlove was elected Chair of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board for 2003. Osborne opened nominations for the Vice Chair. Manlove nominated Susan Osborne. Osborne closed nominations. Osborne was elected Vice Chair of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board for 2003. IV. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION Citizen Participation was opened. Ben Seltzer, 665 Manhattan Drive#7, Boulder 80303, ceded his time to Chris Grealish. Daniel McKinnon, 1935 Grove Street, Boulder 80302, ceded his time to Chris Grealish. Clark Sheehan, 1327 Periwinkle Drive, Boulder 80304, ceded his time to Chris Grealish. Alan Kupczak, 2201 Pearl Street#218, Boulder 80302, ceded his time to Chris Grealish. Chris Grealish, 330 31" Street, Boulder 80305, speaking on behalf of Boulder Denver Couriers Cycling Club, said competitive cycling was a user group with unmet needs in Boulder. Grealish said cycling groups would like a facility that could be used for racing and training young people. He expressed frustration over the fact that his group would have to raise $1.4 million to build a facility at Valmont City Park (VCP) and would then be able to use the facility only 35 days per year. Grealish proposed using the existing 1.1 mile loop at Stazio [Ballfields] on a permanent part time basis for cycling groups. He stated that it would be viable if changes were made to the flow of parking for the main softball field. Osborne asked Grealish what the cycling community would actually need. Grealish responded that they would need a 1.1 mile loop 22 feet wide and said the cosi to retrofit the loop at Stazio would be a fraction of the cost for construction of a new facility. Grealish offered to return to the PRAB with renderings from a landscape architect that would give the Board a sense of how his plan would look. Sanford said he would like to see the plan. von Bleichert asked for clarification about Grealish's comment that users currently going out to Stazio would have to cor promise and asked if that Would be. in addition to or in lieu of the retrofits. Grealish replied that either parking for fields within the loop would need to be relocated or racers would have to begin after everyone arrived for a game. Crystal Gray, 1709 Spruce, Boulder 80302, spoke in support of a pocket park at Bluff and 23rd Streets. Gray said if the property could not be purchased at this time she would like Board members to actively comment (when the site goes through the land use process) that they would like to see the property negotiated to remain open to the public. PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 2 Gray invited Board members and staff to come to a neighborhood meeting to visit the dome site and walk through the neighborhood. Geden replied that staff would like to attend a neighborhood meeting and asked to be notified of meeting dates. David Newman, 2502-B Bluff Street, Boulder 80304, spoke about deed restrictions on the dome property as they relate to keeping the property as a park. Newman stated that over the years neighbors have periodically had to go before the Planning Board each time proposals for modifications have come up. He asked Board members to keep the door open for this potential purchase. Christine Arden, 2502 Bluff Street, Boulder 80304, asked PRAB members to keep the door open for future discussions and possible negotiations for the dome property. She spoke about the constant use of the property as a park and said it was a true asset to the neighborhood. Judy Gilbert, 2502-A Bluff Street, Boulder 80304, asked Board members for their support in keeping the dome property as a park, regardless of who should purchase the property. She spoke about the benefits to the neighborhood for keeping the property as a pocket park. Citizen Participation was closed. V. CONSENT AGENDA The minutes of February 24 were approved as submitted. VI. MATTERS FROM THE DEPARTMENT A. Jamie Sabbach introduction and welcome Geden introduced Jamie Sabbach, the new Recreation Superintendent of Parks and Recreation, to Board members. Sabbach said she was honored to be a part of the department because of Boulder's quality of life as well as Boulder's reputation in the field of Recreation. She spoke about her previous work in recreation and her brief time as an educator. Sabbach said she sees her role as a champion of efforts for such a talented staff, striving for continuous improvement in all programs, services and facilities. Board members welcomed Sabbach. Geden briefly updated Board members on Council's discussion on the Education Excise Tax (EET) funding. Geden stated that Council approved spending $1.8 million for tracks and synthetic turf at both Fairview and Boulder High Schools. In addition Council approved spending $30K for the joint needs PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 3 assessment between the School District and Parks and Recreation. Council did not approve funding up to $40K for design support at VCP but are willing to discuss the matter after results of school consolidation discussions are known. Geden added that one item is still being negotiated with the School District so funds will not be allocated until the two parties come to terms. Geden said that both sides are working on a deadline for when the School District will inform staff about what School District sponsored programs will be held during the summer on those fields [Master Joint Use Agreement]. Geden added that as soon as that is decided a Weekly Information Packet (WIP) item would be prepared for Council and Board members would be informed as well. Hawthorne spoke about the Columbia Cemetery Ordinance process. He informed Board members that the ordinance went through the first reading without public comment but that the item was pulled from the consent agenda for discussion at the second reading when several Council members expressed concern about restrictions on throwing snowballs and using the cemetery after hours. Hawthorne stated that staff was working with the city attorneys on how to change the ordinance before going back to Council for a second reading on April 15. Hawthorne spoke about grant funds that have been used for restoration of grave markers in Columbia Cemetery. Because of concerns for potential injury from falling headstones, Hawthorne stated that headstones in danger of falling over would be laid down on the ground. He added that efforts would continue to restore headstones, as funds become available. Hawthorne said there would be a neighborhood meeting at the end of April to educate the public about why the headstones would be laid down. Osborne said she would not like to see the headstones laid down without a clear timetable of when they can be restored to an upright position. She expressed concern for theft, erosion and vandalism if headstones are placed on the ground. Hawthorne replied that staff did not want to lay headstones down on the ground but said the issue was mitigating risk. Sanford said if the risk were such, the headstones would have to be laid down. He added that the ordinance should include hours for use and should also include the prohibition of throwing snowballs. Geden said the challenge is to maintain the community asset as well as maintaining the community feel and usage of the asset. She added that arguments have been heard on both sides for using the cemetery as a park and for preserving it as a cemetery. Geden said the decision would probably be made at the Council level because preservationists feel very differently from active recreation people. Hoge inquired about the number and location of the headstones in question. Hawthorne replied that 300 headstones were in danger of falling and that those headstones were scattered throughout the cemetery. Hoge asked if the headstones could be propped up. Hawthorne spoke about the aesthetics and PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 4 difficulty of placing 4 x 4 posts in the ground when some graves are only 18 inches deep. von Bleichert expressed concern about the length of time the headstones could be horizontal on the ground. He asked if experts could be consulted about how long the headstones could be on the ground and potential for damage to the headstones from the elements. Hawthorne spoke of possibly moving and storing some of the lighter weight headstones. Hawthorne said staff would ask the preservation expert how long the headstones could beflat Zat without causing damage. O'Neill asked if staff would post signs about what is happening and why. Hawthorne replied in the affirmative. He also encouraged Board members to check out the Columbia Cemetery web site. VII. MATTERS FROM BOARD MEMBERS von Bleichert asked that the Sub-committee/Liaison appointments be placed on the next agenda now that the PRAB is staffed for another year. von Bleichert inquired about the recycling initiative that was discussed last year. Hawthorne replied that staff now has recycling containers and will start the program. von Bleichert said since Board members have expressed an interest in having money and potential for land acquisitions he felt they should have a discussion regarding land acquisition relative to the Master Plan, and that the discussion should be sooner rather than later. Hoge asked if there would be discussion on VCP at the April meeting with regard to the workplan, amount of savings that will occur and a template for the partnership process. Geden responded in the affirmative. Manlove said if the dome parcel comes up for a redevelopment process there might be a possibility of obtaining the parcel as a park out of some discretionary review process. Manlove asked for clarification on the various bicycle groups and said Grealish's idea [spoke in Citizen Participation] may have some merit, depending on the level of conflict. Manlove said a memo updating the Board on this issue might be helpful. Geden suggested Lakey meet with Grealish and report back to the Board. PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 5 { VIII. ITEMS FOR ACTION A. Public hearing and consideration of a motion to name the park known as "Elmer's Two Mile" Presenters: Jan Geden, CPRP, Director of Parks and Recreation Cate Bradley, Parks and Recreation Planner Bradley spoke about a handout presented to the Board that suggested naming a park or ballfield after Harold Copeland. Bradley asked Board members to keep him in mind for future naming of a park of ballfield. The Public Hearing was opened. Mary Ann Shake, 2633 Tumwater Lane, Boulder 8030_; expressed support for naming the park Elmer's Two Mile Park. The Public Hearing was closed. On a motion by Osborne, seconded by Sanford, the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board voted unanimously (7 —0)to name the park site located south of Iris Avenue, between Folsom Street and 28th Street, as Elmer's Two Mile Park. IX. ITEMS FOR DISCUSSIONANFORMATION A. Drought update Presenter: Carol Ellinghouse, Water Resources Coordinator Ellinghouse handed out excerpts from the Drought Plan to the Board, spoke about the four stages of drought and provided Board members with an overview of Boulder's water supply. Her presentation included information on water rights, stream flow and future water supply. Ellinghouse addressed the issue of using graywater for irrigation. She stated that graywater in Colorado is not commonly used because the appropriation system has a graywater use system built-in and return flows are the water diversions for users downstream. She added that Colorado water is used and reused many times before it hits the state line. Sanford asked how other Colorado communities are able to use graywater. Ellinghouse responded that those communities have a lot more water rights that are decreed to allow reuse. She added that the concept of reuse came along in recent years and is something that newer communities benefit from. When Boulder acquired its water rights it was not common then to claim the reuse. O'Neill spoke about Irvine, California's allocating water block accounts and asked if Public Works' staff had looked into that. Ellinghouse responded that it PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 6 is a long-term solution that would affect rate structure and billing computer programs. She stated that Boulder already has a three-block structure that has increasing blocks where the cost increases with increased water usage. Hoge asked where the 10 percent water conservation/reduction was to occur: residential, commercial or industrial use? Ellinghouse responded that it would be a cut back in overall per capita consumption. Ellinghouse stated that the area for the greatest conservation is outdoor irrigation use, adding that a large part of the conservation program is aimed at education on how to efficiently irrigate and maintain lawns. Ellinghouse also spoke about targeting industrial water conservation through the PACE program, use of diverse landscaping and a possible rebate program for low flow toilets. von Bleichert asked if there were things learned from the drought that should continue after the drought. Ellinghouse responded that restricting irrigation between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. has been a key item for the water conservation education system for the past few years. She added that most years there are no restrictions on hours for irrigation, in part because it's difficult to patrol. von Bleichert asked if Parks and Recreation will have a water allocation for this year. Geden replied that unless Council decides otherwise, the City Manager will determine what stage of drought the city is in and then the department will have a water allocation. Stuller asked when the City Manager will make that determination. Ellinghouse replied that it would be around mid May. Board members thanked Ellinghouse for her presentation. Note: The order of the agenda was changed and Item IX-E was done at this time. B. City's 2004—2005 budget process Presenters: Julya Bridgewater, Admin Services Division Director Kate Love, Finance Director Love gave Board members an overview of the presentation given to Council members at their retreat. She spoke about the economy, the City's General and Public Safety Funds, the magnitude of the budget gaps, some of the major factors, some steps already taken and steps planned to be taken to address the issues. PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 7 Sanford said it was his opinion that Public Safety should be part of the General Services of the City and the way the Public Safety Tax was packaged was totally wrong. He said he thinks it would be better if they re-packaged it in another form and format so that he could support it. Osborne thanked Love and said the presentation was exceedingly helpful. Osborne asked when Board members would see the proposed budget cuts. Bridgewater replied that staff would have the proposed operating budget for the April PRAB meeting and the proposed capital budget in May. Bridgewater added that the proposed budget cuts would include: efficiencies, increased revenues and cuts amounting to 20 percent. Staff will also give Board members their recommendation at that time. Love stated that the City Manager will probably take approximately three- quarters of the proposed cuts, leaving some items untouched. Osborne asked if recommendations could be made for things that would not be cut. Love responded in the affirmative and recommended packaging cuts together. Bridgewater said she anticipated two packages: one package that raises fees quite a bit and doesn't cut so many services and another package that raises fees in a moderate amount and cuts services. von Bleichert asked if increased fees (revenue) would be broken out between resident and non-resident fees. Bridgewater replied in the affirmative and said staff would follow Council's guidelines that non-residents pay 25% more than residents pay. von Bleichert asked if it can be determined which services might be heavily used by non-residents when looking at what needs to be cut. Geden and Bridgewater replied that staff would look at that. Love spoke about the development of Crossroads and said it would be several years before sales tax revenues were generated. Osborne said she thinks it will be difficult to raise fees considerably as a way to deal with budget shortfalls. She asked if that should be part of the package going to voters because it's really about keeping recreational activities accessible to the public. Love replied that Council would decide later when they see what the issues are. Love said that adding revenue into the election question would make it even more difficult to understand. Hoge asked if in the context of the amount of money spent per capita, Boulder has historically been a community that spent a lot more money per person than other communities. And is Boulder now in an economic situation that is bringing the city down to the level of other communities? Love replied in the affirmative but added that over the years those funds had been allocated to areas to which other communities don't necessarily allocate money. PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 8 von Bleichert asked if proposed budget cuts could be prioritized. Love responded in the affirmative. von Bleichert said he wanted to remind the City Manager that better cultural practices mean a reduction in the use of pesticides and the amount of water used for irrigation. Geden said there have been no pesticides used at Pleasant View Fields or around the fields and due to good maintenance there are no noxious weeds at Pleasant View. Geden added that the real challenge is going to be with the current condition of soil at Pleasant View fields,facing cutbacks in the cultural practices that staff had been able to maintain and the effect that will have on the spreading of noxious weeds. Von Bleichert said this gets to the issue of how Council made a budget policy of saying if funding comes back this is the first place they want to restore funds. As budgets get cut and maintenance operations are cut departments get further behind. von Bleichert asked if budgets improve will there be some way of funding a catch up? Geden said there are programs that truly espouse our community values that are very expensive to maintain such as good land management, good cultural practices, not using pesticides and prairie dog management. Although the department wants to maintain and uphold community values, the price tag may be too high at this point in time. What are the long-term effects going to be and what happens when the City is on a more solid ground? Geden said that's when the city will need support from the Board and its citizens. Geden added that the department is just now facing recovery from the drought and the associated price tag. She stated that the department has huge issues it is facing. C. Update on West Nile Virus/Mosquito Monitoring and Control Plan Presenter: Alice Guthrie, City IPM Coordinator Guthrie said the Boulder County Health Department is very concerned about what the City of Boulder will do in terms of West Nile Virus control. Guthrie said while the city does not have an adopted plan, it is working to develop a plan. She added that Boulder County does have a nuisance mosquito control plan where they treat standing water bodies with Bti {Bacillus thuringiensis] to control mosquito larvae. von Bleichert asked what Guthrie is asking of the Parks and Recreation staff on a day-to-day basis in terms of maintenance people: rooftops, checking for water, reporting water, emptying water, and filling in tire tracks. He asked how staff is being involved in that first line of defense. Guthrie said discussions have not addressed resources to do that yet, other than the need to look at mitigation and prevention that can be done on a routine basis. Hoge said she would like to review the draft plan. She asked if Bti kills things other than midge and fly larvae and whether it is toxic to any other animals. Guthrie said it kills flies, mosquitoes and midges but does not impact the water or harm water wildlife. PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 9 von Bleichert said it would be difficult to express support for the general direction of the city efforts and proposed plan when the memo did not specify the city's plan. Guthrie responded by saying that staff would propose larvae treatment and not spraying. She added that the County Health Department could require the city to do some fogging or spraying if there is an outbreak and a lot of adult mosquitoes are found carrying the virus. Manlove asked if the plan would address privately owned wetlands or other sources of mosquito breeding. Guthrie said there are mapped wetlands and the city can notify the owners and provide them with education materials. Guthrie added that the city does not have the resources to monitor and treat privately owned wetlands. Hoge asked if mosquito-eating fish were being considered. Guthrie said those fish have been found to be invasive in several other states and their departments of natural resources have come out with statements against their use. She added that there is a native mosquito-eating fish that the Department of Wildlife is looking at using to some degree. von Bleichert said with regard to the County potentially asking the City to spray for adult mosquitoes, he would like to see very clearly from them what their criteria for making that decision would be. He would hate to see fogging take place when less than .01 percent of adult mosquitoes would be impacted by a fog or spray. Guthrie asked if everyone on the PRAB agrees with the general direction of the city efforts and proposed plan? Board members indicated that they were in agreement. D. Progress report on the Parks and Recreation Master Plan Presenter: Jeff Lakey, Parks and Recreation Planning and Development Superintendent Lakey spoke about the integration of landscapes through air, water, people and wildlife. He spoke about the many user groups and the need to balance and equalize the demand and provision of service. Lakey invited Board members to call, e-mail or set up a meeting with him to share their thoughts and integrate their ideas into the process. von Bleichert referred to the April 1999 memo from Ron Secrist: Management Report on Neighborhood and Pocket Park Acquisition Program [Attachment A to the Lamun/Dome memo]. von Bleichert said he would like to know what has been accomplished since the memo was written. He would like to know whether those assumptions are still the same. There was discussion in the memo of how many acres the department wanted to add and von Bleichert asked how many PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 10 acres have been added since then. Also in the memo is a list of parkland acquisition recommendations and von Bleichert asked about the status of those recommendations. von Bleichert addressed the issue of land acquisition. He wanted to know if the inability to develop immediately or currently maintain would be a deal breaker or is there a way to work around that? He said he thinks there is a benefit to acquiring land for future development. Geden suggested the Board have a committee of two that is more involved on a regular basis than the intervals that staff will have for Board interaction, discussion or study session as it relates to Master Plan within the entire process. Geden asked Board members to think about it as it will be on the agenda for the April 28 meeting. E. Lamun/Dome/YWCA/Peanut Butter Players/Toadstool Playhouse site Presenter: Jeff Lakey, Parks and Recreation Planning and Development Superintendent Osborne thanked Lakey for the memo and said it clarified a lot of things for the Board. She added that the possibility of acquiring this small piece of property at little or no cost at some point in the development process is something to keep in mind and stay on top of. Osborne said she is interested in acquiring the property. O'Neill concurred with Osborne and reminded staff that neighbors had said they would be willing to maintain the property and enhance some of the plantings. von Bleichert said he appreciated the clarification in the memo. von Bleichert asked if the land is deeded as park or playground only would it remain accessible to the neighborhood. Lakey responded that the property is private land that could be fenced and access restricted while still meeting the terms of the covenant. Stuller asked if the property would really appraise at $1.3 million with the deed restriction on it. Lakey replied that the realtor indicated the small park site could be purchased for$349K. Hoge asked if other options could be employed to obtain the property such as an easement or Public Private Partnership. She gave an example where the city would pay $100K and neighbors would come up with $200K. Hoge suggested staff look at alternative ways to purchase neighborhood parks. Lakey said he appreciated Hoge's ideas for creative approaches to meet park needs and taking care of the public's money in that way. He said it was a good idea to have a continuing dialogue with the neighborhood about what might work. PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 11 Hoge said she would like to be able to respond to unexpected opportunities by having some type of contingency funds. Manlove spoke of the potential to acquire the property at no cost sometime in the future if staff were willing to take on the maintenance. Sanford concurred with Manlove and said he would like to acquire the property but not for $349K. He spoke on how the Board has said in the past that they would like to be able to respond to opportunities as they occur. He said he believes staff has a priority of things they want to do given budget cuts. Sanford said he would prefer to prioritize projects and ideas such as this to determine whether they are high enough on the list to pursue or spend money on, given the department's finite resources. O'Neill said she recalled that last year there wasn't a parcel in a densely populated opportunity that the Board was interested in but Board members wanted to make sure that if things changed they would retain the flexibility to do so. The very clear answer at that time was yes and was not layered with the fact that it would take a very long time or that it would be very cumbersome. She stated that she hoped something could be worked out in the future for when opportunities like this come up. Lakey replied that an opportunity fund was planned to begin next year for$100K/year but because of budget shortfalls it has been delayed for four years. Geden added that the department would always be open to opportunities. If such an opportunity is determined to be a higher priority, then Board members need to understand the associated resource or time impacts. Osborne said she would like to be able to do smaller projects that would meet neighborhood needs in small ways— such as the small park where water and a shed were needed to create a community garden last year. Lakey suggested that in the future Board members call him when they have such opportunities they would like to discuss. X. FUTURE BOARD ITEMS AND TOURS Tour of Lange, Feder and Hill areas of Maxwell Lake prior to the April 28 meeting. Lakey will e-mail Board members with possible dates. XI. NEXT BOARD MEETING: Monday, April 28, 2003 PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 12 XII. ADJOURN The meeting adjourned at 10:18 p.m. APPROVED BY PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD: Charles Manlove Board Chair Attest: tr Georgia Jackson Recording Secre'a I PRAB Meeting Minutes 03/31/2003—Page 13