Loading...
Signed Minutes - 4/24/2000DO NOT REMOVE - PRAB File Material ~ ,~ City of Boulder Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Minutes Apri124, 2000 City Council Chambers 1777 Broadway 6:00 p.m. The following are the minutes of the Apri124, 2000 C~ry of Boulder Parks and Recreatian Advrsory Board meenng. A permanent set of these minutes and a tape recording (maintatned for a period of 6 years) are reta~ned ~n Central Records (te[ephone: 441-3043). Board Present Gwen Dooley, Vice-Chazr; Susan Osborne, Dave Wmmg, Chazles Manlove, Edward von Ble~chert, and Pam Hoge Will Meyer, Chair, amved at 6.52 Staff Present: Chns Dropmski, Ken Ramsey, Georgca Jackson, Doug Hawthome, Steve Russo, Ann Wichmann, Jeanne Scholl, Kate Bernhazdt, Lmda Kotowski, Mike I{iley, 7ulya Bndgewater, Lisa Bondi f"' I. APPROVAL OF AGENDA ~... The agenda was approved as subitutted with the addIIion of an update on the new skatepazk by the City Liatson II. OATH OF OFFICE FOR NEW BOARD MEMBERS Susan Osborne read her oath of office into the record III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES March 27, 2000 The icunutes were approved as subautted after a suggestion was made to mclude more comments from the Boazd as a summary m future mmutes IV. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION Crtizen Participarion was opened. Ann Speer, 5315 Centenmal Dnve, Boulder 80303, stated that she beheves Boulder is lackmg with regazd to golf facilihes. As a member of the Boulder Golf Associahon, she ~ expressed an mterest m workmg with City Staff to determme how best to improve Boulder's golf facihues. ,.r Jeff Brown, 4168 Amber Place, Boulder 80304, President of the Boulder Golf Association, believes that Boulder needs to improve its golf opportumties for Jumor Golfers and would lilce to work w~th staff to improve the existmg facihty He also beheves that Boulder needs an addiuonal golf facilrty, as no other commumty m Colorado that is the size of Boulder, has only one golf course Cit~zen Participahon was closed. V. SPECIAL PRESENTATION BY RON SECRIST - MOUNTAIN PARKS/OPEN SPACE CONSOLIDATION Ron Secnst presented an overview of his proposal, action by City Council and what needs to be accomphshed m the conung months. Highhghts of the plan mclude: • CounciPs amendment to mclude one PRAB member and one OSBT member on the Transihon Team. • Transfer of land to be at PRAB's mihation with a target date of August • Expects to fill posihon of Deputy City Manager m June. Tlus pos~t~on will head the TransiUon Team, with City Manager's oversight • Possibihty of a ballot m~uat~ve to ensure the General Fund fundmg that currently muntazns Mountam Parks will condnue and move with the lands to Open Space. A ballot mihahve would have to be ready by August 1 m order to be o~ the ~ November ballot. . ~ • The Management Audit, Wnght-Figg's proposal, mformarion from the Seazch Conference and other documenis will be available to the Transit~on Team as resources to assist with their efforts m the restructunng • Matntatn the OSBT as a five-member boazd and agpomt two ex-officio members to the Boatd for a two-yeaz term, at the conclusion of wluch, reconsideraaon of formally expandmg the Boazd to seven members can occur Boazd comments and oueshons: Wmmg stated that he is not ready to support the transfer of land He expressed disappomtment that the restructuring, wtuch was to ehnunate duphcahon of personnel and services, would allow for the Pazks and Recreaaon Department to retam land that would wnunue to reqmre visrtor services, ranger services, educauonal and environmental services Secnst responded that dispositton of Iand zs under the purvtew of rhe PRAB and stated that those th~ngs mer~r a great deal of constderat~on on the part of the Board. Wmmg asked if Secnst mtended for hm Crun to head the new department Secnst responded fhat he made it very clear in his 8 po~nt plan that he ~s willeng to cons:der a co-directorshrp. PRAB Meetmg 4/24/00 - Page 2 ~*w. Manlove asked if it is the ~ob of the PRAB to determine what lands transfer or if that ~^'^ should be up to the Transiuon Team. Manlove believes rt would be helpful to have the `r-' Open Space personnel perspective on tYus issue Secrut responded that there ts nothing to preclude the PRAB having discusseons with Open Space personnel or the OSBT prior to the Transsnon Team. He feels that if the PRAB wants to proceed and comes down to a couple of propenies that they are not sure about, he feels it would then be appropreate to have the Transition Team make thar determination. The PRAB has to dispose of the propenies and the OSBT has to accept [he propernes. Dooley asked if all lands would have to transfer at once or if the bulk could transfer and some could be held back to consider on a case by case basis. Secnsr responded that he feefs the Board could make that decision. Dooley asked if a resolut~on or motton would be required to authonze the transfez. Sue Ellen Harnson, wath the Ciry Attorney's Office (CAO), responded that she assumes the land transfer would require a mot~on and added that d~sposition requtres certain nottfication She stated that when the time comes to make the land transfer, there needs to be a d~scusston weth the CAO to ensure that procedurally the land transfer is done correctly She added that under the Charter, in terms of acceptang the lands, the Open Space Board does not have to agree to that, as it ts ultamately CounctPs decuzon. Dtspositaon does require Open SPace vote, but in terms of accepkng the land, they could say no and Counctl could say yes. Osborne stated that she was concerned that Milce and Ruth's proposal was commg from a stnctly Open Space pomt of view and it seems there ts no advocate for Pazk mteresis. She '""^ expressed support for the merger but is concerned about the tenor of the memos included ~'"'' m the packet. She stated that there appears to be a rush to transfer land and she beheves that careful considerauon should be taken. She is comfortable with August as a t~me frame and would like to see all lands uansfer at one time. Secrist reminded the PRAB that Caty Counc~l adopted hu 8 point plan, not Make F~gg and Ruth Wright's plan (albeet their plan ts available as a resource). He further stated that the PRAB is the advocate for the Mountatn Parks Osborne asked if there is any reason that the 7 properties cannot be uansferred to Open Space or accepted by Open Space. Hamson responded that there was no reason m the Charter that all the lands could not be accepted or managed by Open Space. Hoge asked ~f Pazks and Recreation land transferred to Open Space, becomes heavily used in the future, would that land have to be transferred back to Parks and Recrearion Deparunent. Harnson responded that there ~s nothing tn the Open Space Charter that [emtts intensive use. Just because a paece of land starts to be used intensively doesn't mean ~t es not Open Space land. However, the charter does not allow for development on the property. It cannot have development placed on ~t unless it ~s for Open Space purposes whach u passrve, not acrive, recreahon (~ PRAB Meenng 4/24/00 - Page 3 V~r' Hoge stated that she would hke to see the bulk of Pazks land transferred and then let the Transit~on Team work out specifics for the remaznmg properties and managenal issues .~ ~ Manlove stated that by August the PRAB can have the bulk of the land transfer done and the balance ready for the Transiuon Team. He would hlce assurance that transferred lands and programs m place on Mountam Pazks properties will conhnue to be managed m the same way as they are presently. Osborne concurred that management of the transferred lands should not change. Secrist suggested that after ducussing the matter among the Board and Staff, the PRAB might want to meet w~th the OSBT Will Meyer amved at 6.52 p.m. Dooley asked what the mam focus of the Transihon Team will be. Secrzst responded that their pnmary responszbrltty will be to focus on personnel matters to retain exist~ng standard ctry employees. Von Ble~chert asked how transferred lands would be managed if the ma~onty of lands would transfer before the Transiuon Team is m place and rt is the Transition Team that will deternune personnel issues. Secrist responded that thangs would remain status quo unttl formal changeover occurs an or about January 1, 2001. Von Bleichert sazd he is leanmg toward transfemng the ma~onty of land but with a more actrve mvolvement with the Transihon Team on the remaimng properties ~ Manlove stated that a~omt meetmg with the Open Space Board would be helpful ~ Hoge beheves that the PRAB should detemvne cntena for land transfer based on the next 100 years and what is best for the land. Meyer stated he wants to make certam that the PRAB mamtazn sufficient resources to address whatever parcels aze left m the Pazks and Recreahon Department Dooley added that she wants to retam envuonmentally conscious employees as well as rangers for some of the remammg properhes. Secnst left the meet~ng at 7.07 p m The PRAB expressed a desue for a study session to heaz from staff on the status of the 7 properties, a tour of the properties and a ~omt meetmg with the Open Space Boazd PRAB Meetmg 424/00 - Page 4 ''~• Skatenark Uudate (Addition to the Aaendal ~ Presenter: Diana Smith, City Lisison Snuth gave an update on fundmg and sta[us of the skate pazk. To date the potential amount rematnmg to be secured has been reduced to $67,804. Osborne asked if the donations aze given without stnngs attached. Smith responded that there are two ktnds of donations. One is given with no strings attached. The orher is sponsorship where someth~ng of value is g~ven in return for the resources given to the skate park. The benefet for most of the sponsorships is recognuion• on site (skate parkJ, at locakon of the business or publictty. Hoge asked if the PRAB had approved a policy for sponsorships. Smith responded that the Interim Sponsorship Policy was drafted last September and presented to City Council and the PRAB. It was agreed that the policy could be used on an ~ntenm basis and be adopted on a permanent basts after evaluaring the success of the skate park, mak~ng changes as necessary Sm~th ezpects to return to the PRAB wath a recommendahon for a permanent sponsarship program based on the experience of using thts policy on an interim bas~s. Smith offered to prov~de new board members wtth a copy of the Interim Sponsorship Pol~cy. Manlove asked the City Liazson to continue razsmg funds even after the $SOOK goal is reached. Smuh responded that she had no intenhon of stopping at that point. .-+ ~``~ Meyer referred to a recent newspaper article about the $3 -$4 milhon skatepark project planned for Westmmster It will be a for-profit skate facility and will chazge $12 for a two-hour session. Smith added that this can be a pos~tive thing for Boulder as those who would lake to attract and target inltne skaters cannot be parC of the Westminster project, as et ts already spoken for. They may come to Boulder to assist w~th the skate faciliry at Scott Carpenter Park VI. ITEMS FOR ACTION A. Public Hearing, Review and Consideration of a Motion to Approve Disposition of Park Property for the Purposes of Easements for the Cline Trout Farm Water Collection and Conveyance Lines Presenter: Kate Bernhardt For the benefit of new PRAB members, Bemhazdt gave a bnef lustory and background of the exisang easements for the Chne trout farm. Sue Ellen Hamson, City Attorney's Office, stated that both the water quality and quanuty are bemg momtored. The Chne's water nghts aze based on what they have lustoncally used and if addrtional water is created, the Clmes will have no nght to that ,~-. `'' PRAB Meenng 4/24/00 - Page 5 The pubhc heanng was opened. ~ Ricky Weiser, 4020 N 75'" Sueet, Boulder 80301, stated that Peazl Street shauld ~ be a four lane road on the south side of the site as she sees an average or ten 18- wheelers when she drives from 75w Street to FooUulls Parkway She believes that future uaffic congesdon will limit access to the facility. The pubhc hearing was closed. On a mohon by Dooley, seconded by Wimng, the Parks and Recreation Advisory Boazd voted unazumously (7-0) to approve the disposiuon of Valmont City Pazk property for the purposes of grantmg easements for the Clme hnes as shown conceptually m Exhibit A of the memo prepazed Apnl 11. Sue Ellen Hamson wished to recogmze pazalegal Juhe Chase for her hard work on this effort. Meyer asked Bernhazdt to consider several issues that had been raised: transportat~on issues and water qual~ty as it relates to use of raw water m other discussions B. Public Hearing and Consideration of a Motion Approving the Purchase of Appro~umately 40 Acces Located at 3203 Bison Drive from Alden C. and Barbara H. Olson for Mountain Parks Purposes ,,.,, Presenter: Ann Wichmann, Mountain Parks Manager „~. John D'Amico, Property Agent Wichmann gave a bnef lustory of the property and how i[ relates to other Mountam Pazks properties and conservation easements. The Public Heanng was opened Gerazd Fallon, 1564 Bison Dnve, Boulder 80302, expressed support for acqmsihon of the Olson property. He also wished to thank Chns Dropmski and Ann Wichmann for being flexible m their ideas for the acqwsihon program. The Pubi~c Hearing was closed. On the motion by Dooley, seconded by Manlove, the Parks and Recreation Advisory Boazd voted unanimously to approve and recommend to City Council the acqmsihon of approximately 40.0 acres located at 3203 Bison Dnve from Alden C. and Barbara H. Olson for Mountam Pazks purposes. Meyer asked Wichmann to provtde the Boazd wuh what is still on the acquisrtions I~st and how much funding ts left. Wichmann responded that she will put somethtng together and get it to the Board th~s week Drop~nskz added that the ~'++;. Intenm Sponsorship Policy would go out to the Board at the same time Wmmg ~- added that he would hke to know how much of the $2 nulhon is remammg. PRAB Meetmg 4f24/00 - Page 6 VII. ITEMS FOR DISCLJSSION/INFORMATION ,~ ,,,~, A. Capital Improvement Projects (CIP) Presenters: Ken Ramsey, Superintendent, Parks Planning and Construction Steve Russo, Administrative Analyst Dropmski stated that staff s mtent~on tomght is to bnng everyone up to speed and help them understand the direction the Department is headed. Staff will return to the Boazd m May for final approvals. Ramsey stated that the purpose of the presentation is to give the Board mformauon and provide education wrth regazd to the CIP process. He bnefly explamed the three funds that are used for the CIP: the permanent Pazk and Recreation Fund (est. m 1968), the lottery fund (past several yeazs) and the 25 sales tax fund (passed in 1995). Russo handed out revised spread sheets and encouraged the Boazd to ask questrons as he reviewed the CIP spreadsheet, lme by hne, with the Boazd. Boazd comments and questions Hoge asked why Art m the Pazk is a flat dollaz amount and is not ad~usted for ^ mflaUon. Ramsey responded that it was set that way ~n the past, but the Board ~ can change u. Russo added that coun refurbtshment ~s set the same way with a flat dollar amount. Osborne stated that she would like to see more Art m the Pazk pro~ects and Hoge suggested a~oint meet~ng with the Arts Commission. Hoge suggested showmg the grant funds ~uxtaposiuoned to the ovetall budget Bridgewater stated that she could provide the Board with an annual grant repon Hoge added that it would be helpful if the report mcluded "what is the dream" and steps bemg taken m that direcaon Dropmski asked Bndgewater if there is a better hme of yeaz for prepanng a grant repoft. Br~dgewater responded that a multe-year report would be the most useful as tt can be confus~ng when funds are used over a period of nme. Hawthome further explamed that the state has two grant cycles every yeaz, Apnl 1 and November 1 With April 1 grant deadlmes, rt is usually mid summer when Pazks and Recreat~on hears about avazlable fundmg and wrth November 1 grant cycles, Pazks and Recreation normally heazs about funding m January Dropmski added that Sazah DeSouza is on materniry leave and she is the one handhng the grants. Dropmski suggested that Bndgewater put together the financial piece and that it ixught be best to wazt for DeSouza's retum to provide the Board with the whole picture '^ The Board may want to revisit previous Board comrrutments to find funding for ~`~' other pro~ects. May need to ask if there are pro~ects that could be changed and ask what aze the consequences of domg that. ' PRAB Meenng 4/24/00 - Page 7 Meyer sa~d that the Boazd ought to ask if it's better to complete a smaller number of pro~ects or spread the funds out and do smaller amounts on a larger number of ~ pro~ects. Osborne stated that she doesn't tlunk that Valmont City Park should have to pay its own way and would hke to see pazk development funds at some pomt be used Meyer encouraged PRAB members to talk with retutiung PRAB members or staff ~f they have yuesUOns on the use of BMPA and the possib~lity of uulizmg ~t for the renovahon of the NBRC - as a means of providmg up front funds for other pro~ects. Manlove suggested that it would be helpful to msert a hne vs. a zero on the CIP spreadsheet once the pro~ect has been completed. He feels that a zero should only be used when there w~ll be a need for more money Hoge and Meyer said u would be helgful and cleazer to idenhfy Phases (1, 2, etcJ. Manlove stated that the Board ought to resist the temptation to rev~srt past decisions as it is very expensive both financially and m terms of good will. Wlule it is okay to discuss those ideas plulosoptucally, he would be very reluctant to actually change course Hoge stated that she needs to be brought up to speed on the history and concept plans for pro~ects. Meyer responded ttaat any retunung Board members would be ,,n,~ wilhng to meet with her and Dropmski mvrted Hoge to come to the Ins Center to ~„ review pro~ects. VIII. ITEMS FROM TAE DTRECTOR Mountam Oceans Purchase Osbome asked if there was any help that the Boazd could offer Tom Ben~amm m kus efforts to find a new locat~on for tns busmess Droptnsk~ responded that everyth~ng Staff can ihink of has been done en the past couple years encludtng rea( estate and planning personnel who have been znvolved in this eff'ort. Meyer encouraged Osbome and any other Boazd members to come forwazd w~th any ideas they might have Dooley mquired about the possibihty of a lease back. Dropinski responded that Mn Ben~amzn u open to that but he snl[ has ro feel comfonable that he has a place to go nvo years down the road. Integrated Pest Management Annual Report Dropmski brought the Board up to date on the progress of the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) pohcy and its overall goal as it relates to Parks and Recreauon Valmont Citv Park Update and Back~round Informahon Dropmski asked the Board to review the mformation and bnng it with them to the retreat as it will be the matenal used that day Board asked staff if they could bnng the lazge map to the retreat. ~. Pazks and Recreahon 2000-2001 Work Plan PRAB Meehng 4R4/00 - Page S ~ Dropmski asked the Board to review the Work Plan pnor to the retreat and asked them to bnng tlus mformauon to the retreat as well Dropmski informed the Board that a videotape of the Plan Boulder Forum is available for viewmg and that the tape has been edited to approximately one hour m length. Dropmski talked about the Colorado Parks and Recreaaon Associahon and an effort bemg made by some crtizen boazd members to create a sechon of that group for citizens and boazd members. This would probably not mvolve meetmgs but more of a commumcauon hnk wrth crtizens and boazd members. Dropmski stated that she is Chur for the Directors' secrion and theu next meeung is in June on a Wednesday or Thursday mommg. Each member is to mvrte a ciazen boazd member to come to the next meetzng. Dropinski asked any mterested Boazd members to give her a call IX. ITEMS FROM BOARD MEMBERS Meyer stated that Crystal Gray called lum today to make sure the PRAB members had been mvited to a breakfast this commg Wednesday that is bemg hosted by the OSB"T. Other Boazd members responded that the mvitat~on amved m the mad that day. Details are: pancake breakfast, Open Space Annex, 75'~ and Arapahoe, 7 30 - 9 a.m. Several Board members stated their intennon to attend the breakfast. Hoge stated that over one half of the packet is smgle sided and she would hke to see more use of double sided copies The Boazd concurred and asked stafF to comply. X. FUTURE BOARD ITEMS AND TOUR XI. NEXT BOARD MEETING May 6, 2000 Reueat at Park Ops 8:30 - 2 30 p.m. May 22, 2000 Regulaz meet~ng - Council Chambers Von Bleichert will be absent May 25, 2000 Mountaz~ Pazks Tour - Meet at Raager Cottage at 3:00 p.m. June 6, 2000 Study Session 6•30 - 8:30 p.m - Locat~on to be determmed .~-. ~ PRAB Meehng 4/2M00 - Page 9 XII. ADJOURN Meehng adlourned at 10.10 p.m. ~ APPROVED BY PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD• ~Ki ~~ ,~~ Will Meyer Boazd Chair Attest: . 6"1'~ Georgia ckso Board Secretary ~ ~ ~ PRAB Meetmg 4l2M00 - Page IO