Loading...
Signed Minutes - 5/21/2001City of Boulder C, Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Minutes May 21, 2001 Public Safety Building 1805 33`" Street 6:00 p.m. The followtng are the m~nutes of the May 21, 2001 C~ty of Boulder Parks and Recreatzon Advasory Board meetzng A permanent set of these mtnutes and a tape recordmg (ma~ntained far a penod of 6 years) are retazned ~n Centra[ Records (telephone. 441-3043). Board Present: Gwen Dooley, Chair, Edwazd von Bleichert, Vice Chur; Susan Osbome, Dave Wmmg, Pam Hoge, Chazles Manlove, and Thomas Sanford Staff Present: Chns Andersen, Doug Hawthorne, Sarah DeSouza, Georgia Jackson, Lmda Kotowski, Maureen Spitzer, A1 Quiller, Kate Bernhazdt, Steve Russo, Julya Bndgewater, Ten Olander ~ I. APPROVAL OF AGENDA The agenda was approved as subrrutted wrth a possible change If time allowed, the Boazd would consider Action Item C before Acaon Item B II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES Apn123, 2001 Mmutes were approved as submitted. May 5, 2001 Mmutes were approved with changes III. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION Citizen Participahon was opened Brad Quiller, 3900 Savannah Place, Boulder 80301, said he is working on a school pro~ect and asked the Boazd to consider use of drug sniffing dogs to reduce sales and use ~ of drugs m pazks and open space ~ Tyler Clazk, 7172 Four Rivers Rd, Boulder 80301, a Jumor Ranger, said one of his duties is to pick up trash on the trails where he sometimes finds drug pazaphemalia. He asked the Board to consider use of drug smffing dogs as a deterrent to drug use and sales. Sanford descrtbed his exper~ence worktng with drug sniffing dogs and satd that they work best ~n confined areas and are not effecrive for use tn open areas Ned Riedel, 150 South 31s` Sueet, Boulder 80305, president of Boulder Commumty Velodrome, sazd he was greatly encouraged by the~omt CounciUPRAB meetmg Riedel sazd he subsequently received a letter of mterest to move forward with a proposal to build a velodrome at Valmont City Pazk. Citizen Part~cipahon was closed IV. MATTERS FROM THE DEPARTMENT Thomas Sanford read lus oath of office into the record at the May 8, 2001 ~omt City CounciUPRAB SNdy Session Andersen said that staff was workmg with the YMCA, Police, Fire and Housmg and Human Services to discuss issues of supervision, vandal~sm, trash, gr~u, and trespassmg at the skatepazk She added that costs associated with supervision at the ~ skatepazk would come from Pazks and Recreahon funds with the understandmg from the Ciry Manager that those funds would be momtored and at year end, if appropnate, the depar[men[ may request conhngency dollazs. Dooley and von Bleichert expressed mterest m represenhng the PRAB at meerings on skatepark issues Andersen sazd that the environmental audit has been completed and mvited the Boazd to a pubhc meeUng on Wednesday, June 13, 4-6 p m m the Mumcipal Buildmg lobby. Staff and consultants w~ll be avazlable to discuss elements of the report and answer questions Hawthome said several hundred people attended the Beach Park dedication last Saturday. Wmmg and Sanford were on hand as representahves of the Boazd and the Umversrty Hill Neighborhood Assoc~ahon provided food and entertamment. Comments were positive and people seemed to love the playground and secunty hghting. Hawthome renunded Boazd members that the Boulder Creek Festival was tkus commg weekend. V. ITEMS FROM BOARD MEMBERS Wmmg wanted sazd that at the ~omt PRAB and OSBT meedng on lottery funds there were no members on euher boazd that had participated m the decision yeazs before. In order to provide conunmty for the process Wmmg suggested that both boazds meet every ~ PRAB Meetmg 5/21/Ol - Page 2 three yeazs, not to change the remammg three years, but to add an addiUOnal ttuee yeazs, ~, becommg another six yeaz agreement. On a motion by Wmmg, seconded by Manlove, the Pazks and Recreation Advisory Boazd voted (unanimously, 7-0) to hold a ~omt Boazd meeung [PRAB and OSBT] every three yeazs s[artmg m 2004, pnor to the CIP process, to extend the agreement on lottery funds for three yeazs (i.e. m 2004 the Boazds will extend this agreement for years 2008 - 2010), which will allow for one or more Board members from each Board during the previous agreement to be part of the extension; to add contmuity to the process and allow Boazds the discrehon of fundmg pro~ects that may encumber lottery funds covenng multiple yeazs. Hoge sazd she was under the impress~on that times hsted on the agenda were only for staff and Boazd members Upon learnmg that the pubhc also had times listed on the agenda, Hoge felt that the Boazd rtught end up havmg to wait for items when rumm~g ahead of schedule. Hoge asked about the Master Plan process Andersen responded that the new d~rector would be hired before work ts done on the Master P[an and that interv~ews for the posthon would probably be in late July Dooley asked if authors of inemos could be hsted on the documents Andersen repked ~ that the author and telephone number could be found on the last lene of each memo. Hoge said she was under the impression that the alignment of the Wonderland Creek Trail was srill open because of the w~ldl~fe habrtat assessment. Bernhardt offered to sit down with Hoge to dzscuss the :ssue Dooley and von Bleichert said they attended the pesacide conference and had lots of matenal to shaze with other Boazd members At the end of the meetmg Boazd members brought up the followmg issues: Dooley asked for the list of Boazd haisons for the next meeung Hoge asked if a mohon was needed as an explanahon to City Counc~l about the perception of Pleasant View Fields as a pazk servicmg the surroundmg azea Dooley suggested a letter be wntten to Council. Bemhazdt sazd ~t would be helpful to talk to Planmng staff. Manlove suggested talkmg with planmng staff and prepanng an mformational memo to Council to clanfy what neighborhood pazks are versus recreat~onal faciliues Manlove said it would be helpful to have a Board member in attendance when the platform tenms issue goes to Planmng Manlove and Dooley sazd they would be w~lhng to attend. r+ PRAB Meetmg 5/21/Ol - Page 3 ~„ VI. ITEMS FOR ACTION A. Public hearing and consideration of approval to install a gravel perimeter pathway and fencing to provide for more effective maintenance and operations of Pleasant View Fields Presenter: Doug Hawthorne, Acting Co Director Hawthorne spoke bnefly about staff s proposal to fence the penmeter of Pleasant View Fields. The facihty would be open for general use dunng non-cnacal umes and staff would have the ability to lock the facihty dunng cnhcal umes. The Public Heanng was opened. Suzanne Real, 3987 I7ehesa Ct, Boulder 80301, a Palo Pazk resident, expressed opposition to usmg tax money to build a fence around Pleasant View fields She also is concemed that staff might not unlock the gates m a timely manner. Roland Shazette, 2962 Kalmia Cr #29, Boulder 80301, sazd he has seen only one sign and asked where the others aze located. Olander responded that there are six stgns and gave their locatzons. Shazette sazd that madequate pazkmg is a greater problem than damage to the fields. ~ Michael O'Keefe, 4520 Nassau, Boulder 80301, asked if the cause of the field damage has been correcdy idennfied - is it from soccer participants or the small nunonty that acuvely use the field? O'Keefe asked if a cosWenefit analysis has been done. He expressed dismay at lack of notification and said that the public process feels rushed. Mark Haynes, 4170 S. Hampton, Boulder 8030_, handed a letter to the Board and expressed opposition to fencmg Pleasant View Fields. Tom Feiereisen, 4191 Hampton, Boulder 80301, stated lus opposihon to fencing Pleasant View Fields He added that soccer practices at Palo Pazk preclude use of the pazk by the ne~ghborhood cluldren Kent Knutson, 3958 Savannah Court, Boulder 80301, said he does not see the fields heavily used by the neighborhood and sud he is agaznst fencmg the fields. He has seen thousands of geese on the fields and said they may cause more damage than dogs hm Pnbyl, 4664 S Hampton, Boulder 80301, stated tus opposiUOn to a fence azound Pleasant V~ew Fields He feels that geese and praine dogs pose more of a problem than those usmg the fields for general use. C PRAB Meenng 5/21/01 - Page 4 ~ Adnan Vieth, 4008 Musuque Ct, Boulder 80301, said that City Council has considered the soccer fields as park azea when detemumng density calculations. He feels that fencmg the fields will hmit access and change rt from bemg a pazk azea Sam Vance, 4021 Samt Petersburg St, Boulder 80301, echoed Vieth's sentiment that Cuy Council members consider the soccer fields as pazk land for homeowners He said it will no longer be a pazk if fenced Dick Sumerfield, 3950 Savannah Place, Boulder 80301, said he was not mformed of the meetmg even though at a previous meetmg he had signed somethmg that he thought would ensure meetmg notification He said he feels that a fence azound the fields is an extreme measure Ed Geary, 3982 Escuela Ct, Boulder 80301, asked how the damage estimate was done and how the cause of the damage was detemuned He said he does not see a cosUbenefit analysis for mstallmg a fence versus cost for field mazntenance. The pubhc heanng was closed On a motion by von Bleichert, seconded by Sanford, the Pazks and RecreaUOn ~ Advisory Board voted (6-1 with Wmmg dissenring) to table the issue unul the June 25 meetmg when staff will return wrth more mformauon and clanficauon on issues such as the cost of repainng field damage versus ongomg muntenance and the amoRized cost of a fence; for staff to retum with two or three approaches such as mcomplete fencmg with breaks to channel people past signage or full fencmg without gates, with different approaches to enforcement and how this could be phased. Manlove asked staff to deternune whether soccer playing time could be mcreased w~th ~deal management of the fields. He said it did not need to be part of the mohon as a fnendly amendment, but felt it was important for staff to explore The Boazd took a five mmute break. After the break the Boazd decided to consider Action Item C before Action Item B von Bleichert left the meetmg at 9•00. B. Public Hearing and Consideration of a motion of approval and recommendation to City Council regarding the Parks and Recreation Department's proposed 2002 Capital Improvement Program (CIP) including discussion about potential delay of development of Foothills Community ~ PRAB Meehng 5/21/Ol - Page 5 ~ Park, Flatirons Golf Course projects, Tom Watson Playground renovation ~ and Elmer's Two Mile Neighborhood Park Presenter: Kate Bemhardt, Acting Superintendent of Parks Planning and Construction Bernhazdt gave a bnef explanation of the revised spreadsheet and changes made as a result of the ~omt PRAB/OSBT meetmg The public heanng was opened No one spoke. The pubLc heanng was closed. On a moUOn by Manlove, seconded by Sanford, the Parks and Recreation Adv~sory Boazd voted unammously (6-0 with 1 member absent) to approve the 2002 CIP as shown m the revised spreadsheet dated May 18 C. Public hearing and consideration of a motion to relocate the Platform Tennis Courts currently located within the expansion area for the North Boulder Recreation Center Presenter: Maureen Spitzer, Landscape Designer ~, Spitzer explamed the ume constramt and need to deternune whether or not the platform tenms courts will remazn at the North Boulder Recreation Center (NBRC). The public heanng was opened Will Shafroth, 2029 Mapleton, Boulder 8030_, sazd that the I~ghtmg and noise issues would be icutigated with improved hghring, lowenng the courts and landscape design. He expressed a preference for the platform tenms courts to remam at North Don Sherwood, 7334 South Meadow Ct, Boulder 80301, satd platform tenms has been supported at NBRC for twenty yeazs and he would like them to remam there Gary Horvath, 4531 W 124ih Ave, Broomfield 8002Q Pres~dent of PPTA, spoke on behalf of platform tenms and keepmg the courts at North He would like to host a grand opemng and include the neighborhood when the courts aze reopened Bonme Sundance, 1785 North Street, Boulder 80301, patron of NBRC, expressed appreciation for staff ame and energy to reseazch altemate sites, and asked the Boazd to move the platform tennis courts elsewhere, to preserve the green space. •rr PRAB Meenng 5/21/01 - Page 6 ~ Laura Noms, representmg the Housing Authonty, encouraged the Boazd to see if there is another viable location for the platform tenms courts, as the proposed location for the courts will be m close proximity to the 3160 buildmg. She sazd that changes to the site plan do rruhga[e concems and added that there has not been a huge outpounng of concem from the residents. If complaznts were to anse, Noms said the Housmg Authonty would wme back to the Boazd to change hours of opera[ion or whatever would be needed to rmugate the problems. Peter Feer, 1425 [ 1427] Cascade Avenue, Boulder 80304, a paddle tenrus player, said he prefers the courts remam at the NBRC location Ted Mehlado, 555 68'" Street, Boulder 80302, platform tenms player, expressed support for keepmg the courts at NBRC. Chen Chao, 14209 W_69`" Place, Arvada 80004, a platform tenms player, sa~d these aze the only pubhc courts available and that rt would be a shame to lose them for a season Tim Goode, 625 W Ash Street, Lomsville 80027, a paddle tenms player sazd that the courts have been m the commumty for quite a while. He spoke of the tugh efficiency use of the courts and sazd the sport is especially good for semors ~ Pete Kelley, 260 Hopi Place, Boulder 80303, spoke m support of keepmg the platform tenms courts at NBRC and suggested cleanng out Crossroads and makmg rt a pazk with eight platform tenms courts Janice Budreau, 2990 Baylor Dnve, Boulder 80305, expressed support for keepmg the platform tenms courts at NBRC and said she moved to Boulder because of the courts. Mike Befeler, 890 Cypress Dnve, Boulder 80303, spoke m support of the platform tennis courts remammg at NBRC. He spoke of the benefits and drawbacks of hving near a recreahon center and sazd that it is not the exist~ng platform tenms courts causmg concern, rather the expansion of the NBRC wluch necessitates movmg the courts. Eileen Goode, 625 W. Ash Street, L.ouisville 80027, a paddle tenms player, expressed support for keepmg the courts at NBRC She said more efficient high technology hghtmg would help mingate hghUng concems. Tom Houhhan, 4251 Peach Way, Boulder 80301, a paddle tennis player, voiced support for keepmg the courts at NBRC. ~ PRAB Meeung 5/21/Ol - Page 7 ~ Susan Albers, 2950 18'h Street, Boulder 80304, said that NBRC has 5 acres and the other sites [SBRC and EBCC] have 51 and 53 acres [respectively] She said it doesn't make sense to her to put the platform tenms courts onto the NBRC site along with the expansion of the rec center Robert S. Webb, 1032 Hawthom, Boulder 80304, spoke m support of the platform tenms courts at NBRC He does not see the wurts takmg up the open green space, rather he sees the NBRC expansion as takmg up the open space T~m Conarro, 734 Arrowood St, L,ongmont 80_, suggested takmg out one tenms court at NBRC and puttmg both platform tenms courts m that space. He also suggested removmg the volleyball court and placmg the platform tenms courts there. Bill DeOreo, 3030 15`"- Street, Boulder 8030_, asked the Boazd to relocate the platform tenms courts off the NBRC site to one of the other s~tes He cited the loss of open azea and over densificarion of the site as reasons for movmg the Courts. Chip Lsenhart, 443 Mountun View Rd, Boulder 80302, spoke m support of paddle tenms courts remazmng at NBRC. ~ Heidi Feigal, 3023 Washmgton Street, Boulder 80304, sazd she never sees anyone usmg the sand volleyball courts and suggested removmg those courts and placmg paddle tenms there; if the courts aze to remam at NBRC. However her preference would be to move the paddle tenms courts to SBRC or EBCC The pubhc heanng was closed On a motion by Wmmg, seconded by Sanford, the Pazks and Recreation Advisory Boazd voted (4-2 with Dooley and Hoge dissentmg and one member absent) to approve the staff recommendation for relocaung the platform tenms courts as shown m Attachment C1, for staff to return with an assessment on the use of the volleyball courts; and recommend whether to fill them m to mingate some of the loss of green space and for staff contmue to explore techmques to mingate sound issues VII. ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION/INFORMATION VIII. Future Board Items and Tours ~ PRAB Meehng 5l21/01 - Page 8 IX. NEXT BOARD MEETING ~ June 25, 2001- Council Chambers X. ADJOURN Meetmg ad~ourned at 1125 p.m. APPROVED BY PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD• ~~1,1n.~-..~., F~, ~~ 4_.,,,T- Gwen Dooley ~, Boazd Chair Attest: ~ ~ ,~_ Georgia ckson~ Recordmg Secretary ~ PRAB Meetmg 5/21/01 - Page 9