Loading...
Signed Minutes - 4/23/2001^ City of Boulder ~, Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Minutes April 23, 2001 City Council Chambers 1777 Broadway 6:00 p.m. The follow~ng are the m~nutes of the Apnl 23, 2001 C~ty of Boulder Parks and Recreation Adv~sory Board meenng. A permanent set of these minutes and a tape recording (matntatned for a per:od of 6 years) are retamed ~n Cenrral Records (te[ephone: 441-3043). Board Present: Gwen Dooley, Chair, Edward von Bleichert, Vice Chair, Susan Osborne, Dave Wmmg, Pam Hoge Board Absent: Charles Manlove and Thomas Sanford Staff Present: Chnshne Andersen, Doug Hawthorne, Sazah DeSouza, Georgia Jackson, Lmda Kotowski, Maureen Spitzer, A1 Qu~ller, Kate Bemhazdt, Matt ~ Hickey, Chase Weir, Steve Russo, Julya Bndgewater, Ron Crescenhm I. APPROVAL OF AGENDA The agenda was approved as submitted. II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES Apnl 2, 2001 ~ Mmutes were approved as submitted. III. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION Cit~zen Partic~paUOn was opened. Several people with the Boulder Nordic Club asked that their hme be given to Gary Lacy so that he could speak longer and show slides of the snowmakmg pilot pro~ect. Gary Lacy, 485 Arapahce, Boulder 80302, Boulder Nordic Club, gave a sl~de presentation of the pilot snowmalung pro~ect on the south s~de of Valmont Ciry Pazk. He explamed that snow was made only once and that snow lasted unril March, demonstrahng that snow ~ retention was better than expected Lacy said that one-half lnlometer is not long enough ~ for a viable track. He spoke about the importance of snow mamtenance and said future , tracks would need to be tilled and surface treated to prevent ~cmg. Lacy said that wlule the pilot pro~ect was south of Valmont, north of Valmont is really the viable azea because of the avazlabihty of water, and the existmg vegetaaon and terram. Lacy asked for the issue to be on the agenda as soon as possible for the Boazd to decide whether the activrty and snowmakmg technology aze appropnate for the azea He asked if funding allocated for gradmg and landscapmg south of Valmont could be set as~de and used for nor[h of Valmont von Bleichert said he was impressed wrth the snow retenUOn and asked how average temperatures compared to this wmter Lacy responded that thts w~nrer was a lettle colder than average Osborne asked Lacy ~f the Boulder Nordic Club (BNC) was not mterested m the south side of Valmont. Lacy responded that the group ~s definuely interested en the south side for some teme in the future At present the south fac~ng [ay of the [and and lack of vegetation indicate that ~t would be better for [ater phases After grading and vegetat~on tt could be made ~nro a viable skt area. Lacy sazd that the group would like to do a sumlaz but expanded pro~ect on the north side. He said that nottung would need to be changed other than adding vegetahon wherever wildhfe experts feel is necessary along the ditch comdors. Lacy concluded by sa}nng that ~ it was difficult financially for the group ttus past season and he is not sure whether the gtoup can fund the program next season without assistance. Ed Riedel, 150 S 31~` Street, Boulder 80305, President of Boulder Commumty Velodrome (BCV), said 52 more ciUZens have s~gned a pehtion m support of a velodrome. Riedel recently visited Rochester, Michigan, where a velodrome is bemg bmlt and took some video footage to show what a velodrome looks like m a city pazk. He offered to show the video to the Boazd Manan Furst, 988 Sycamore Ave, Boulder 80303, represenhng the CU Speed Skahng Club and Quicksilver Speed Skaung Club, spoke in support of the velodrome. She added that there would be mhne speed skatmg m the center of the velodrome John Clyne, 262 S. Kohler, Boulder 80305,a boazd member of BCV, said that there aze safe places for kids to skateboazd, play baseball, softball and gymnasucs, and it is ume to have a velodrome and a safe place for k~ds to ride their bikes Jeremy Hackney, 1260 Kalmia Ave #11, Boulder 80304, asked the Board to keep the ska[epazk in mmd when they ttunk of the velodrome as the BCV would like a s~m~laz atmosphere It would be a place that is fun, where kids supervise themselves and access is free. r/ PRAB Meenng 423/01 - Page 2 ~ Stan Wolpoff, 800 Booklawn Dnve, Boulder 80303, represenhng the Boulder handball commumty, spoke about the need for addihonal outdoor handball courts. He expressed disappomtment that the funds for the courts might be redirected to fund the NBRC remodel He remmded Ihe Boazd that handball is a sport that reqmres htfle or no economic support once courts aze built Mike Pederson, Greenwood Village, President of the Colorado Handball Association, added his support of Wolpoff s peaaon for more handball courts Ann Burggeman, 3816 Cloverleaf Dnve, Boulder 80304, spoke m support of the yoga program and expressed concem over rumors that the program m~ght be cut. She read a list of the benefits of yoga. Cihzen Partrcipation was closed IV. ITEMS FROM THE DEPARTMENT Andersen spoke about the NCAMP Conference on pestic~de use to be held at CU May 18 - 20 and asked the Board to check theu calendazs for avazlab~hty. Andersen encouraged mterested Boazd members to mform the Boazd Secretary as soon as possible so that registrauon could be done as a group ~ Wmmg mquued about the cancellauon of the Burke Pazk dedicauon Hawthorne responded that he be[ieves it was delayed because the group had not raised funds needed to complete the pro~ect The Burke Beavers had contacted Hawthorne to say that fund raiseng was takeng longer than expected and asked to delay the dedication until mad summer Hoge mquued about the use of Roundup m city pazks Hawthorne responded that spot spray~ng of tndividual weeds had been done, but that ir has now stopped Hoge asked how that fits m with the mtegrated pest management approach of usmg pesticides as a last resort. Hawthorne responded that the final audit has not been completed and Andersen added that the process for decision maktng steps has not yet been determined She added that the environmenta[ subcomm~ttee will be meeting on Wednesday, May 9, from 4- 5.30 p.m. Andersen saed she would like representatives from the EAB and the PRAB in attendance to talk about next steps for [ay~ng out the report and implementahon schedule. V. ITEMS FROM BOARD MEMBERS Wmmg expressed concern over the report on nordic skimg He sazd that Phase 1 construchon has begun, grading for the bike path and slu trazl on the south side is bemg done and now the ski community wants [he trul moved to the north side of Valmont. Wmmg wondered what nught have been done differently had the Board not beheved that the slu trazl would be on the south side. Wmmg also expressed concem that the first ~rr PRAB Meetmg 4/23/Ot - Page 3 ~ group that was to fully fund their activ~ty m Valmont City Pazk may now be coaung to the Boazd For money to fund theu activity next yeaz. Andersen responded that some of the recommendattons from Steve Jones' repon will affect the north side of Valmont and any movement on the Valmant C~ty Park Publec Private Partnerships is on hold unal Counc~l and the PRAB can [ook at the whole plan and how thmgs can fit together. Osborne echoed Wmmg's concems over the ski club wanang to move the slu uail from the south side to the north side of Valmont as it relates to the landscape plans. It was her recollection that Phase I at Valmont mcluded landscape matenals to shade the path for the sluers She asked if the skiers move the location of the sln trail, should the landscape plans be altered accordmgly~ Andersen saed u should be helpful to look at the whole plan and have that descusston wrth City Councd on May 8 von Bleichert referred to a February 26 and memo asked whether Mesa Memonal had been purchased yet. Bernhardr responded that ~t ~s in process and that a subdrv~sion has to be completed ~n order to firash rhe purchase von Bleichert mquued whether the county ballfields on Ins would remam as ballfields when the county offices aze expanded Diana Smith, City L~aason, responded that as of recent discuss~ons w~th the counry, the planned expansion w~ll not affect the ballfields. von Bleichert asked that the Boazd be kept appnsed of the status of the Ins Ballfields. ~ VI. ITEMS FOR ACTION A. Public hearing and consideration of approval of a Master Plan and renovation option for the re-development of the former Angel Pines Country Club at Flatirons Golf Course Presenters: Doug Hawthorne, Acting Co Director, Parks and Recreation David Leninger, Economics Research Associates Hawthorne mtroduced the consultants from Odell Architects and the Econoavcs Research Institute and then spoke bnefly about each of the opnons for cons~derahon. I.enmger spoke about the different costs and revenue estimates for each ophon. The Public Heanng was opened. Court Peterson, 205 Camden Place, Boulder 80302, stated that the existmg Flaurons fac~hty does not provide a quality experience for the golfer m companson to golf courses in surroundmg azeas. He vo~ced suppoR for Option 2. Jennifer Footlik, Kittredge West, Room 263, Boulder 80310, member of CU Women's Golf Team, spoke m support of Opuon 2 She said a heated driving ~.+' PRAB Meenng 4/23/01 - Page 4 ~ facility would enable golfers to use the facility yeaz round and [hat more stalls would shoRen the wait time Jeff Brown, 4168 Amber Place, President of the Boulder Golf Assceiation, expressed support for Optton 2. He stated that golf is a lifehme acuvrty and for every 15 yeaz-old turned away from Flatirons, sixty to sevenry years of revenue stream is lost. David Blackburn, 2571 Pampas CouR, Boulder 80304, said the pool can be relocated but the golf course cannot. He expressed preference for Ophon 2 David Rubm, 1733 Polk Ct, L.ouisville 80027, owner and President of A Spice of Life Event Center and Catenng Services, stated that the Event Center supports 18 different crvic groups, but that he would not able to accommodate them in the new facilrty when meeUng hmes overlap. He added that weddmg receptions aze often lazger parties of 200 or more and that Ophon 2 would not accommodate those groups. Rubm asked the Board to consider Option 1 as it benefits everyone m Boulder and honors the contract that the City took over when it purchased the golf course. The Publ~c Heanng was closed. ~ Wmmg moved that the Pazks and Recreation Advisory Boazd recommend Ophon 2 and for staff to retum to the Boazd with all the detazls for findmg funding for the pro~ect. He also moved that staff do whatever is necessary to get the project on the ballot m 2002. The mohon was seconded by von Bleichert. A fnendly amendment was made by von Bleichert to have staff explore possibiliries that allow for as many busmess related options as possible for Spice of L~fe. W~mng accepted the fnendly amendment. Hoge offered a fnendly amendment staff retum to the Boazd wrth ophons that mclude expansion of the banquet faciliry - one that expands the buildmg structure and one that would open up to expansion outdoors. Wmmg accepted the second fnendly amendment. The Parks and Recreation Advisory Board voted unanimously (5-0 with two members absent) to approve t6e mohon and both fnendly amendments. ~ PRAB Meenng 4l23/01 - Page 5 Hawthome summanzed Boazd comments as follows ~` The Boazd recommended Option 2 with the followmg stipulahons ' • Look at workmg with Sp~ce of Life and consider our obhganon to them • Have staff explore other options for Spice of Life • I.ook at options wtuch mclude expansion of the banquet facihty to accommodate the existmg user groups • Look at zomng for non-confornung busmesses that aze d~splaced for a penod of ume - what is the allowable time frame • Emphasis on workmg with Spice of Lfe • Ethical question considered 'The Board took a five nunute break. B. Public Hearing and Consideration of a motion to approve funds for the North Boulder Recreation Center Presenter: Christine Andersen, Deputy City Manager for Environmental Services Andersen gave a bnef explanation of how the need for addihonal funds to complete the North Boulder Recreation Center Refurbishment was determmed. She outhned opdons for fundmg the full scope of the NBRC and how the impact of that full fundmg would affect other pro~ects m the Capital Improvement ~ Program The public heanng was opened Megan Wlvteside, 3973 Promontory Court, Boulder 80304, gymnast, spoke about the need for a lazger gym because of overcrowdmg, wart lists and safety issues. Rachel Kennedy, 3326 16`" S[reet, Boulder 80304, gymnast, sa~d there is a waztmg l~st of 500 girls and boys who would hke the opportumty to participate m the program. She urged the Boazd to expand the gym. Nicky Chomyn, 2809 Cordry Ct, Boulder 80303, sud there aze too many gymnasts for the space. She also sazd gymnasts greatly outnumber paracipants other programs. Amanda Yoshmo, 2445 Umversity He~ghts, Boulder 80302, expressed the need for more gym space, especially for h~gher level gymnasts. The gymnasts gave the Board a letter from Kathleen Slutibsky, pazent of a gymnast. Jan Klembord, 8756 Sueamcrest Dnve, Boulder 80302, pazent of a gymnast, ~ PRAB Meenng 4/23/Ol - Page 6 spoke m support of the gym expansion. She expressed concern for safety issues ~~ Dan Chomyn, 1460 55th Street, Boulder 80303, sazd the current gym size is madequate and yet more kids want to participate m the program. He spoke m support of the gym expansion hm McSwiggen, 4866 Franklm Dnve, Boulder 80301, spoke m support of the gymnastic expansion at NBRC. The public heanng was closed. The Boazd discussion on the CIP was done pnor to the motion. On a moaon by Wmmg, seconded by Osborne, the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board voted unanimously (5-0 wi[h 2 members absen[) to approve the staff recommendation for the mcreased full fundmg of the North Boulder Recreahon Center as outhned m the document and tentauvely approve the fundmg sources for that, wrth the provision that the Boazd will revisit and finalize it m May On a motion by Wming, seconded by von Bleichert, the Pazks and Recreation Advisory Boazd voted unammously (5-0 with 2 members absent) to approve spending up to $13'7,000 of Art m the Park money for the North Boulder ~ Recreation Center with the provision that staff will try to find ways to provide art work wrthout spendmg all of the Art m the Pazk money, mcludmg usmg local amsts, schools and consultation with the Art Board VII. ITEMS FOR DISCUSSIONQNFORMATION A. Capital Improvement Program Presenters: Christine Andersen, Deputy City Manager for Environmental Services and Kate Bemhardt, Acting Parks Planning and Construction Supervisor Andersen gave a bnef explanation of the CIP layout and where choices can be made. Bemhardt explamed the four sources of fundmg and how the capital improvements program is designed to accomplish the goals of the Pazks and Recreation Master Plan. Boazd comments and queshons: • Hoge asked why the restored [ram would be sent to Georgetown for a yeaz Hawthorne responded that in order to fulfill the grant received from the State H~storzc Fund, the coach must be road tested. The coach w~ll come ~ PRAB Meehng 4/23/Ol - Page 7 back to Boulder for a one day duplay th~s comeng Thursday and on Friday lr'~ wtll be taken to Georgetown where u wtll be on the loop all summer long ~~"'' Sometime in October the coach w~ll return to Boulder but will not be placed in Central Park because of concerns for posstble vandaksm. Hawtharne sa~d that eventually the Depot and train w~l[ be placed together on a new site • Instead of cripphng the FoothIIls pro~ect completely, Hoge suggested usmg golf facilrty remodel funds to pay for the additional costs for the NBRC renovation Hawthorne responded that those funds were from green fees, from golfers, wnh the idea that it was set as~de for improvements to the golf course. Also, de[ay~ng the pro~ecr for a year would not allow for some of the mirama! tmprovements ~denrified rhat could be done thu year • Wming suggested borrowmg the money from the golf course for a yeaz until the bond issue. • Wmmg said his pnonUes aze NBRC and Foottulls Commumty Pazk. • Osbome sazd that it makes sense that the Foothills pro~ect would be defened for a yeaz because of issues associated with vacant staff posiaons. There are still s~gmficant funds m future yeazs to complete the pazk m mcrements • von Ble~chert asked how the development of Footlulls Community Pazk would be affected if funds were used for the renovauon of NBRC. Bernhardt responded that the park would be completed ~n 2006 instead of 2004 ~ • von Bleichert asked if there was a hme constraznt for renovahon of the playground a[ Tom Watson Pazk. Hawthorne responded that there is a systemat~c program for audit~ng all playgrounds and profess~onal staff feels the playground needs to be replaced. Secondly, IBM has already been told that those tmprovements would be done thts year • Hoge suggested not sendmg Ins Hollow out for bid unhl after the May meehng Wmmg further suggested scheduling pubhc heanng wrth possible delays for Tom Watson, Ins Hallow and Footlulls. Kotowski informed the Boazd that the Platform Tenms Courts issue will be com~ng back before the Boazd m May with options for movmg the courts off site as well as on srte. Dooley asked for the next packet to be sent at least a week eazly so that Boazd members can adequately review the CIP Bemhazd[ remmded the Boazd that the City Manager has requested a 5% revenue reduct~on and asked Board members to ttunk about where [hat cut should be taken Hoge sazd she feels the Art m the Pazk funding is madequate and would like the amount of mcreased. Andersen asked Hoge to make suggesnons on where she would like funds reallocared from. ~ PRAB Meetmg 4723/01 - Page 8 ~`~ von Bleichert praised staff for the CIP mformation that was cleazer and easier to read and ~~' understand. Osbome echoed von Bleichert's senUments and said that the mformaUOn provided m the packet was cleazer It appeazed to her that Boazd questions had been heazd and addressed VIII. Future Board Items and Tours Retreat scheduled for May 5, 8:30 - 12 30 p.m. at NCAR m the Damon room. Jomt Study Session with Council - May 8, 6 p.m. m Council Chambers Bemhazdt sud that Steve Jones' report would be posted m its enurety [60 pages] on the city web site and asked which Boazd members would hke a hazd copy of the full report and wtuch members would like to receive a hazd copy of the executive summary. Wming requested the executive summary and the remazmng four Board members requested a full copy. Dooley requested full color posters for Footlulls and EBCC, from the Master Plan (used in 1985 or 1986) for the retreat and study session with Council. Bernhardt responded that she wel[ look for them. ~^ Dooley asked for an inventory of current fac~hties and would hke to 6ave it for the retreat. If that's not possible she would hke to have it for the study session with Council. von Bleichert sazd the Boazd would need to get consensus at the re[reat (before gomg to Council) on the followmg• 1 Mountam Ocean 2 Wildhfe comdor 3 Progammmg ~ssues 4. Partnerstup issues (PPP) 5 Parkmg von Bleichert sa~d he was very unhappy with what's happerung at Valmont with regard to the coyote den on the knoll It was kus recollechon that achvity was to be kept 100 meters from the den and on a recent visit he found hre tracks 6 feet from the den opemng. The wood clupping maclune is also too close to the den von Bleichert sazd tlus is acuve harassment of the coyote den and expressed concern that staff did not follow the Boazd's recommendation and intent. Andersen responded that the recogniaon that there was a sensittve area to be protected and designated was not followed through and commun~cated to the contractor about behaviors. Board members recollected that work neaz the coyote den was to be kept to a mmimum. ~ Hoge asked how the process could be improved m the future. Bernhardt responded that tt was her understanding that the parking lot would be deleted but that the rest of Phasel would move forward, whtle protect:ng the coyote den as best they could. It was a fault of PRAB Meetmg 4/23/Ol - Page 9 the contractor to not complete the fenctng, as staff had given h~m a fenctng p[an, to ~ enctrcle the h~ll with 50 foot operangs As soon as staff found out that the fenang was not completed, everyone on the contractzng crew was contacted and tnstructed to stay out ofthe area Hoge expressed concem that when the Boazd has discussions and reaches consensus that the commumcat~on be cleaz Kotowski responded that being able to have conversations, letting the Board know what staff s~ntentions are, and for sta, ff to get a clearer understanding of when the Board says something, that th~s is really what ts meant von Bleichert sazd that the knoll has 24 native wildflowers and 7 native cactus on it and he would not l~ke to see it tom up m the construchon process and have to revegetate it later He asked that it be made clear to the contractors not to go m there. von Bleichert sa~d there are acUve pra~ne dog burrows directly ad~acent to work bemg done on the channel He asked if Phase I needs to make the cut further to the east, m terms of dirt piles or ct~nnel work, because prazne dogs aze 5 feet off the cut for the Wonderland Creek Channel. Bernhardt responded that Susan Miller has been going out at staff request to check on the prairee dogs and she wtll check with Mdler on the situation before proceeding IX. NEXT BOARD MEETING ~ May 21, 2001- Pubhc Safety Buildmg X. ADJOURN Meetmg adjoumed at 11 27 p m. APPROVED BY PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD: Gwen Dooley Boazd Chair Attest. ~}'-~ ~ Georgia J kson Recordmg Secret PRAB Meenng 4R3/01 - Page l0