Loading...
Signed Minutes - 2/26/2001, ~G ~ City of Boulder Parks and Recreation Advisory Board ~ Minutes February 26, 2001 City Council Chambers 1777 Broadway 6:00 p.m. The followtng are the minutes of the February 26, 2001 Ciry of Boulder Parks and Recreanon Advisory Board meeting. A permanent set of these minutes and a rape recording (maintatned for a period of 6 years) are retained ~n Central Records (telephone 441-3043). Board Present: Gwen Dooley, Vice-Chazr; Chazles Manlove, Susan Osborne, Dave Wmmg Board Absent: Will Meyer, Chur, Edwazd von Bleichert, and Pam Hoge Staff Present: Chns Dropmski, Ken Ramsey, Doug Hawthorne, Sarah DeSouza, Georgia Jackson, Lmda Kotowski, Ruta O'Connor, Maureen Spitzer, A1 Quiller, , Mike Gurrola, Kate Bernhazdt, Matt Hickey •~. I. APPROVAL OF AGENDA II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES January 29, 2001 Mmutes were approved as amended III. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION Citizen Participauon was opened Jeremy Hackney, 1260 Kalmia Ave #11, Boulder 80304, sazd the proposed cychng hub, compnsed of the velodrome and the Commumty I.oop, would support and promote Crty Council goals of environmental sustamabihty, sustaznable uansportatzon and econorcuc sustamabil~ty for the next twenty years at Valmont City Park. Jan Wazd, 2820 19`" Street, Boulder 80304, a downtown transportat~on coordmator, expressed support for the proposed cyclmg hub at Valmont Crty Pazk and the al[emauve transportation kiosk to be located there. I"" `~... Ned Reidel, 150 South 3151 Street, Boulder 80305, President of Boulder Communrty ~ Velodrome (BCV), sazd BCV would hke to partner with City of Boulder to create a cychng hub at Valmont City Pazk (VCP). He sazd the BCV was troubled by recent reviews of the Boazd's attempt to change the Phase I plan for VCP. He stated [hat changes to the Phase I plan would reduce the number of potential partners, resulring m mcreased costs for the remazmng partners. Reidel added that partners need an air of certaznty m order to move forwazd with fundraismg and hme mvesttnent. He said the BCV hoped for a quick and cleaz decis~on from the PRAB and City Council on two issues: the final form of the pazk and the paRnenng gmdehnes. Jane Monson, 721 Ins Avenue, Boulder 8030_, refemng to the recent Valmont Crty Park study session [with PRAB and Ciry Council], sud that expanding the wildhfe comdor would not be a mmor adjustment to the Phase I plan and would reduce the amount of land for recreat~on facil~aes on the site. Monson's second concern was the proposal to modify pazking and the suggest~on for removmg pazkmg lots and puttmg parkmg in the footpnnt of the buildmgs. Monson sa~d swctured pazkmg is exuemely expensive and partners may not be able to beaz the added expense Lastly, Monson referred to the 1995 bond issue when voters supported the purchase of a lazge urban park to provide, in one place, a vanety of facihues for team recreaaon; and urged the Boazd to follow the wishes of the voters Ric Day, 3100 Jefferson Street, Boulder 80304, asked the Boazd not to consider any ,.._ proposal that would place the platform tenms courts at the NBRC any closer to homes. Will Shafroth, 2029 Mapleton, Boulder 80304, sazd that concems over hghnng and noise could be sufficiently mitigated by improved lighhng and lowenng the profile of the platform tenms courts, if they were to remam on the NBRC site. Bill DeOreo, 3030 15`" Street, Boulder 80304, remmded the boazd that the small pazk azea is the only open area on the NBRC site. He urged the Boazd to visit the SBRC and EBCC sites before makmg a decision on where to place the platform tenms courts Ian Hemsohn, 757 20~' Street #1, Boulder 80302, addressed the issues of mamtenance, safety and bikes at the Scott Carpenter Park skatepark facility He presented the boazd with matenals supportmg kus posihon that allowmg bikes to use the skatepazks would not cause damage or mcreased mamtenance costs. Cathenne Long Gates, 3240 Broadway, Boulder 8030_, asked the boazd to consider whether they aze askmg too much of the NBRC site by keepmg the platform tennis courts there along with the renovation and expansion of the recreahon center. A1 Quiller, 3900 Savannah Place, Boulder 8030_, sazd he is opposed to fencmg the Pleasant View fields and urged the boazd to keep the open green space avulable for the commumty ~ ,,,, PRAB Meenng 2/26/Ol - Page 2 ~ Cihzen Pamcipation was closed IV. ITEMS FROM THE DIRECTOR Dropinski expluned the fundmg plan for the acqmsition of the Mesa Memonal Bapust Church property The boazd expressed suppoR for the fundmg. V. ITEMS FROM BOARD MEMBERS Dooley expressed concem that Sheila Fortune, after givmg a pazk to the City, has found that her ad~ommg fence is on City property Ramsey responded that staff was aware of the issue and was workzng to he[p out by deeding the necessary 4 to 41/2 feet of property to She~[a Fortune. He added that the process of disposal of park [and is time consum~ng and would have to go before the PRAB, Planntng Board and C~ty Counczl. Wming asked about blockmg the coyote den at VCP to ensure that the coyotes cannot use the den ttus season. Bernhardt responded that construcnon has already begun and that Wzchmann and Jones be[ieve that the associated construct~on no~se and upset would be suffic~eni to discourage the coyotes from using the den. Manlove encouraged boazd members to attend meeUngs of potential partners to learn ~ about the pro~ects m a less structured and formal environment. Some board members said they had not received notice of the recent meetmg with the Commumty L.oop and the Boulder Commumty Velodrome. Manlove asked that the followmg be added to the hst of items to be discussed for the Master Plan To consider scheduhng uses, such as soccer practice, m neighborhood pazks. VI. ITEMS FOR ACTION A. Pablic hearing and consideration of the Parks and Recreation Department Revised Sponsorship and Valmont City Park Sponsorship Guidelines Presenters: Chris Dropinski, Director of Parks and Recreation and Teresa Grills, City Liaison Office Gnlls gave an overview of the revised Sponsorship Pohcy and the Sponsorstup Gmdehnes for Valmont Crty Pazk She outhned the changes made smce the last time the documents were presented to the boazd. The Pubhc Heanng was opened. Jeremy Hackney, 1260 Kalnua #1, Boulder 80304, provided the Boazd with examples of other velodromes, how they were sponsored and what the sponsors ~ ~ PRAB Meehng 2Y26/Ol - Page 3 required in return. He urged the boazd to approve the sponsorskup documents so ~ that the BCV can move forwazd with raismg money for the velodrome The Public Heanng was closed. Boazd members stated a preference for sponsors compauble with or associated with the sponsored recreation activity. Board members expressed support for the idea of a bond issue to fund azeas of the pazk that might not be funded by partners or sponsorslup On a mohon by Manlove, seconded by Wmmg, the Pazks and Recreauon Advisory Boazd voted unanimously (4-0 with three members absent) to recommend approval of the Sponsorstup Pohcy and the Sponsorslup Guidehnes for Valmont City Pazk. Dropmski mtroduced Bill Boyes, Facihlties Asset Manager, to the Board Dropmski explamed the role that Boyes would perform m the transiuon plan once Ken Ramsey rehres and Dropmski leaves her posiuon as Director. VII. ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION/INFORMATION ,„ ~ A. Update on North Boulder Recreation Center (NBRC) renovation Presenters: A1 Quiller, Recreation Administrator and Maureen Spitzer, ».. Landscape Desig~er Spitzer gave the board an update on the prehmmary bids, construction process, environmental goals, platform tenms courts and the art features for the NBRC renovation. Boazd comments and quesuons• • Manlove suggested a performance contract as a means of lowenng costs. Boyes responded that he was familiar with that tdea and said the City has been dotng that since 1992 He said he had not heard of ~t done in a new construcnon but wou[d keep it ~n mznd for the NBRC pro~ect. Dooley said she heazd that "green" construcuon costs might add a milhon dollars to the cost of the pro~ect. Spitzer rephed rha[ the costs were eshmated to be .$400,000. Osborne asked staff to consider movmg the platform tenms courts with existmg hghts onto exishng tenms courts at NBRC, and movmg tenms lessons to the new courts at Footlulls Commumty Pazk, as a cost savmg measure. Spitzer responded that staff had [ooked at the option but could not place the platform tennis courts on the courts closest to the budding as ~ „~, PRAB Meenng 2/26/Ol - Page 4 that would interfere with the fire lane The platform courts could be ~ placed on the tennas courts to the east, wh~ch could create other empacts • Winmg sazd the 5% conungency for construction costs is usually madequate. He suggested the boazd consider a lazger conungency fund. • The Boazd suggested usmg local azUSts to design the etched glass features and suggested workmg with the Arts Commission to assist with the b~dcLng prceess. B. Valmont Park update Presenter: Chris Dropinski, Director of Parks and Recreation Dropmski referted the boazd to the Partnership Status Report mcluded m the packet. Osbome asked when the board would revisit the concept plan and see where proposed plans would be placed Dropznski responded that tn Light of the Councel and Board splat on the issue of wildl~fe habitat, staff ~s looking to come up with a compromise plan that everyone can suppon. Gn[ls added that the six month period for proposa[s well end in March and after that :t would be possible to look at the site and see how and where the various acnv~aes could be placed Osborne said it would be great if everyone could tlunk m terms of refinement of ,,,,~ an approved master plan rather than the notion that the boazd does not want active ~ recreauon. Wmmg sazd he would be very concerned if he were a partner and said the spht on Council would be very womsome to lvm. He feels that makmg a wider channel and movmg the bike path would impact the park by squeezmg act~vihes together or possibly ehnunahng some. Wmmg expressed concern that there wodt be room for the ballfield complex that was proaused m the1995 bond issue Dropinskz responded that staff would [cke to come up with somethzng that both Council and the board can support C. Burke Park Anchor Presenter. Mike Gurrola, Landscape Designer Gunola mformed the boazd that the anchor would be mstalled in May and the dedicaUOn would be on Memonal Day. He asked the boazd to comment on the proposed s~gnage for Admiral Arleigh A Burke Pazk. The boazd approved the proposed signage At Dooley's request, staff will confirm the exact wordmg "...AFTER FIVE YEARS IN BATTLESHIP ARIZONA,.. " by comparrng it to the Oxford Compamon to Amencan Military Historv. r ~' PRAB Meenng 2/26/01 - Page 5 D. Department work plan/Transition plan ~"` Presenter: Chris Dropinski, Director of Parks and Recreation '~..- Dropmski addressed the impacts on staff and boazd that would result from Ken Ramsey's imminent reuremen[ and Dropinski leavmg the department on Apn13. Dropmski sazd her posihon should be filled by the end of the yeaz or eazly 2002 Ramsey's posiuon would not be filled unhl after the new director is on boazd. Dropinski made suggeshons for streanilmmg wluch mcluded implemenhng the rule of Three, screemng of ideas that anse out of Citizen Pazvcipauon, and hmiung Cidzen Participation to the first forty-five mmutes of the meeung. She also suggested hmidng speakers to 2 mmutes when a lazge number of ciuzens wish to speak. Dooley said she favors putting approximate Umes on the agenda as an expectaaon for the boazd and the public about when items would be diswssed. Osbome suggested updates for the board could be presented as Items From the Director wluch would not need boazd discussion Manlove suggested boazd members call staff with theu quesuons pnor to the boazd meetmg. Dropmski asked the board if they would hke to conunue receivmg the board packets two weekends before the boazd meenng. A ma~onry of boazd members "~ sazd they would hke to receive the packet eazly ~.. Dooley asked for a l~st of staff names, telephone numbers and hstmg of specific ~ob duries Wmmg said a new organizahonal chart would also be helpful. Manlove suggested developmg admmistrauve guidehnes and procedural mles for the PRAB. He felt it would be helpful to develop the decision makmg process. Drop~nski said that Board Procedural Rules have been developed and will prov~de htm with a copy VIII. ~ture Board Items and Tours March 2Q 4 p.m. - Boazd Tour of NBRC, SBRC and EBCC - meet at Ins Center, details to follow Boazd Tour of Pleasant View Fields and Tom Watson Pazk - to be scheduled sometime m Apnl ~„"` +"" PRAB Meenng 2/26/01 - Page 6 IX. NEXT BOARD MEETING ~ Apn12, 2001 - Regulaz meetmg to be held at the Flaurons Golf Course X. ADJOURN Meeang ad~oumed at 9 52 p.m. APPROVED BY PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD Gwen Dooley Boazd Chazr `r Attest. -~L=.." ` `'L Georgia Jac n Recording Secret v~ "~' PRAB Meenng 2/26/01 - Page 7