Loading...
Minutes - Downtown Management Commission - 9/10/2001CITY OF BOULDER, COLORADO • BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES FORM NAME OF BOARD /COMMISSION: DOWNTOWN MANAGEMENT COMMISSION NAME /TELEPHONE OF PERSON PREPARING SUMMARY: LORRAINE ZAMORA - 303 - 413 -7300 NAMES OF MEMBERS, STAFF AND INVITED GUESTS PRESENT: Winter, Zamora, Jimenez, Ward, Jenkins, Officer Trujillo, Officer Puttkammer, BOARD MEMBERS: GETCHES, HEINZ, POLK, ROSALL, KARAKEHIAN TYPE OF MEETING: REGULAR September 10, 20 AGENDA ITEM 1 — ROLL CALL: Meeting was called to order and roll call taken at 5:30 AGENDA ITEM 2 — CITIZENS PARTICIPATION: Renae Foxhoven requested feedback from the commissioners on theFall Festival. She had street closure on Saturday and Sunday from 15 St. to 18` St. but wanted Friday night street closure on those streets also. (For Carnival set -up) Karakehian moved to persue closure for 1 block, on Friday night, from 15` St. to 16` St. Heinz seconded the motion. Unanimous. AGENDA ITEM 3 —POLICE UPDATE: Officer Trujillo gave a review. There was a discussion about the panhandling ordinance. A suggestion to refocus on aggressive begging ordinance. Officer Trujillo said pulling the benches has been effective as the behavior of the transients who just sat on the benches is somewhat curbed. AGENDA ITEM 4 —PARKS UPDATE: None AGENDA ITEM 5 — BID UPDATE: Jenkins spoke about upcoming meetings; a budget hearing on September 25, DBI meeting on September 19. She said they're trying to hire a maintenance assistant for 10 to 20 hours a week. Winter, Epp, and Jenkins will sit down and discuss maintenance on Mall. Jenkins said they would look at issues, perhaps the time the Mall is cleaned needs to change. • MUNICIPAL BUILDING — DOWNTOWN ZONING REVIEW OF CONDITIONAL HEIGHTS AND RESIDENTIAL BONUSES: AGENDA ITEM 6 — PARKING SERVICES UPDATE: Winter spoke about permit utilization. Winter suggested meeting with interested parties. Karakehian and Getches will meet with Winter and Jimenez to discuss permit utilization. AGENDA ITEM 7 — MALL MASTER PLAN UPDATE: • Brick Installation — brick is being installed. A discussion of meetings with the design team and project management team, and research on using sand as a method for installation. • Schedule - the 1400 block proposed schedule was discussed. Winter said we are waiting until after Fall Festival to begin construction. There will be a staggered approach, a period between November 20 and January I". Polk asked about the schedule. Winter said some construction was weather sensitive. Water main must be complete before freezing. Polk wants to know when construction will be finished. Getches asked about cost. Ward spoke about a public hearing on eco pass, and RTD. • 1100 block design and process - Winter said the designs will go to Landmarks and design review committee. There was a discussion on sandstone, moving the fountain, rocks in the grassy area and no twinkle lights. Winter said design has been sent to council, and will be sent to the Mall advisory Committee. AGENDA ITEM 8 — MATTERS FROM THE COMMISSIONERS: Karakehian said downtown is moving in right direction. Mall is cleaner than ever. Winter said George Garcia of the school district should know about school student on the Mall instead of at school. AGENDA ITEM 9 — MATTERS FROM THE DIRECTOR: Winter spoke about Renegade Rose, and Valet parking • for Chop House and other restaurants also. Asked for feedback from commissioners. • Downtown Alliance: The Downtown Alliance meeting will be September 24` At that meeting there will be further discussion of the zoning presentation. Commissioners discussed the presentation and decided not to take a position this evening, but to meet for a study session before the Alliance meeting. The date suggested was September 17. • • NPP commuter permit: Winter discussed the commuter permit. How to provide non residents the possibility of parking. • Sales per square foot: Jimenez spoke about sales per square foot. She and Haas worked on the square footage from the year 2000. It is a weighted average. • International Downtown Association Meeting: Winter will attend this meeting. r � �J ACTION ITEMS: MOTION: KARAKEHIAN MOVED TO PERSUE A ONE BLOCK STREET CLOSURE FOR FRIDAY EVENING, SEPTEMBER 21 FROM 15` St. to 16` St. HEINZ SECONDED. MOTION APPROVED UNANIMOUSLY. MOTION: MOTION: Adjourned at 8:15 PM FUTURE MEETINGS: October 1, 2001 5:30 Regular Meeting Council Chambers APPROVED BY: Attest: Lorraine Zamora, Secretary DOWNTOWN MANAGEMENT COMMISSION Peter Heinz, Chair