Loading...
Minutes - Downtown Management Commission - 4/3/2000• • CITY OF BOULDER, COLORADO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES FORM NAME OF BOARD /COM MISSION: _DOWNTOWN MANAGEM COMM ISSION NAMEITELEPHONE OF PERSON PREPARING SUMMARY: BARBARA ETTINGOFF - 441 -4000 NAMES OF MEMBERS, STAFF AND INVITED GUESTS PRESENT: BOARD MEMBERS: GETCHES, HEINZ, POLK, ROSALL (Karakehian absent) STAFF: PECK, WARD, WINTER and OFFICERS AGUIRRE, MANKA & PADDOCK GUEST: Haas, Business Improvement District(BID) TYPE OF MEETING: MINUTES REGULAR: April 3, 2000 AGENDA ITEM 1- SWEARING IN OF NEW BOARD MEMBERS: Richard Polk and Nolan Rosall were sworn in as new DMC commissioners. Polk for a 5 -year term as a downtown property owner representative; Rosall for a I -year term as a member at- large.. AGENDA ITEM 2 - ELECTION OF NEW OFFICERS: (See action item below) AGENDA ITEM 3 - ROLL CALL: Roll call taken at 5:30PM. AGENDA ITEM 4 - APPROVAL OF THE MARCH 6, 2000, MINUTES and THE February 15, 2000, RETREAT MINUTES: (See Action Item below.) AGENDA ITEM 5 - CITIZENS PARTICIPATION: Haas announced the hiring of a new BID director, Jane Jenkins from Fort Worth, TX. Jenkins will start May 1 and work with Haas through May to transition to her new position. Lucky Hudson Fund update: Haas said a grass -roots effort to fund a bronze plaque as a tribute to Lucky is being explored. Also, if enough funding is available the group would like to provide a Lucky Hudson scholarship to CU's jazz camp. AGENDA ITEM 6 - PARKING SERVICES UPDATE - Responding to the DMC Winter referenced her memo of 3/28/2000 stating that one city-only parking space on 14"' Street will be relocated away from the mall; however, Winter will follow up on and report at the May meeting. Other issues discussed by the DMC and staff included: more cohesive and visible parking signs; acquiring a utilization report for the structures; advertising and providing public information regarding free parking in the structures on Saturday and Sunday; and, projecting and obtaining a balance between parking supply and demands. AGENDA ITEM 7 - POLICE UPDATE: Sargeant Thomas discussed the April 15 demonstration preparation in conjunction with the demonstrations conducted across the US on the same date with the WTO in Washington, D.C. Additional manpower of 40 overtime officers for a total of 70 -80 officers. Sgt. Thomas is hoping to add 1 new officer to the downtown bike unit and 2 to the foot patrol. Bike unit Officers Paddock, Aguirre and Manka reported no problems so far this year. The bike unit's focus is on liquor enforcement, safety issues, juvenile curfew; checking back alleys (drugs) and identifying issues and correcting them. Manka said they continue to check on the comings and goings of the Rainbow population — a gathering is expected in Montana or Wyoming and Florida. Boulder could become the central location in their travels between the sites. The next gathering starts June 1 — will begin to look for new faces at that time. Manka also gave an update on the graffiti targeted toward local chains. A suspect was apprehended on the mall and was able to arrest 3 others after a surveillance was set up on the mall. AGENDA 8 - PARKS UPDATE: Peck complimented the downtown police officers in their efforts on the mall — the mall parks staff is very pleased. All holiday lights are down, benches are 75% refinished; 1400 pansies planted on the 4 -block mall area and have replaced all but 6 lights (need a crane to do the last 6). Peck also reported that the gravel on the 1400 block childrens play area is temporary; a second trash run is now being made (3:30pm); seasonal help will soon start and is looking for two more. The 1100 block will have loose bricks replaced within the next 30 days at a cost of $8,000. AGENDA ITEM 9 - MATTERS FROM THE COMMISSIONERS: Rosall informed the Board and Staff of the discussion and possibility of relocating Denver's Currigan Hall to Boulder — it is viewed as a significant historical building. Denver might be willing to give it away if Boulder agreed to move it. AGENDA ITEM 10 - MATTERS FROM THE DIRECTOR: Other issues covered by Winter: 1) Parking marketing - past promotions have been accomplished with maps and holiday programs — some businesses bought into • N it, others did not. 2) Retailers access to 15' & Pearl — Getches feels there is a barrier and would like to consider hiring a temp to go around to the various businesses. Also, feels there is a conflict with promoting parking on bus tails. 3) IDA conference — Winter will attend this on May 8 in Austin, Texas and will serve on a panel to discuss Transportation. 4) Depot relocation — now looking at a downtown site, perhaps Canyon and 14' or near the municipal building. The train could be a rolling stock and actually run on special occasions like it used to run on rails. 5) Economic sustainability goal committee will hold a focus group on April 13 and 14. Karakehian will represent the DMC and Rosall offered to help as a consultant for two sessions. Polk mentioned that the mission of Crossroads is being considered. 6) 9 " & Canyon -- Winter stated that it is costing $50,000 /month while we wait for a decision. Winter feels it is important that Council understand what happens if a decision is not made and its affect on the bonds. 7) Civic Use space — an architect will be selected by Mayl 15. Winter will continue to update the Board. ACTION ITEMS: MOTION: GETCHES MOVED TO APPROVE THE MARCH 6, 2000, MEETING MINUTES WITH (Agenda Item 1) MINOR CHANGES. HEINZ SECONDED. APPROVED. GETCHES MOVED TO APPROVE THE FEBRUARY 15, 2000, RETREAT MEETING MINUTES. HEINZ SECONDED. APPROVED. MOTION: GETCHES MOVED TO NOMINATE HEINZ AS CHAIR OF THE COMMISSION. POLK SECONDED. (Agenda Item 2) APPROVED. MOTION: HEINZ MOVED TO ADJOURN THE MEETING. ROSALL SECONDED. APPROVED. Meeting adjourned at 7 :18pm L_J FUTURE MEETINGS: May 1, 2000 5:30pm Regular Meeting City Council Chambers APPROVED BY: MANAGEMENT COMMISSION Chair A • ` $art5arattingoff, Secretary