Loading...
Minutes - Arts Commission - 09/17/2003Approved 10/15/03 Boulder Arts Commission September 17, 2003 Boulder Public Library Members Present: Parii Bruck Erich Hill Ann Moss Michael Smith Gmger Zukowski The meetmg was called to order at 5•30 p m Mmutes of the August 2Q 2003 were approved as received Also Present: Donna Gartenmann Final reports for Carmela Weber, BreaktY~rough Arts and Jeffrey Ramwater were unanimously approved as received Grant Application Review Technicnl Assistance Grant: The ma~or change proposed to the existing application is to delete staff fundmg as a request option However, busmess development pro~ects may necessitate hiring someone to take on the project. Comments: Moss: Staff fundmg is imporlant and if the orgamzation did receive a matching grant, it's actually good to have in the apphcation. This will leave the options open to them. Bruck: The mtent of the technical assistance grant is more than hirmg employees The greatest need the organizations have is to learn how to manage Groups need to rethmk how to get their name out in the public sectar, increase audience, a busmess plan, etc A person could be lured for a specific pro~ect. This is to help them move to another level as an orgamzation Smith: In the context of the non-profit world, an executive needmg help m a specific area could find a consultant to help with a fiindraising plan, busmess plan, etc to The grant should not overtly say they can hire staff~ust for the sake of hirmg staff The groups will pass up the necessary pro~ects for staff. Smith: Under the General Statement, there could be a proviso that says part of the funds may be used for a consultant to assist with whatever technical direction the group needs to go m. Hi1L• I would be for changmg the statement to allow consultant funding on a maLchmg grant basis. Smitli: Techmcal assistance ~s a prunary need m any kmd of non-profit There could be a weak hnk, whether financial or markehng or need for a development plan. ThaYs what the organization requests funds for. I would hke to see an honararium for a development director of a large organization, who has a strong track record, to mentor and help with technical assistance projects Zukowski: The groups would get a better bang for the buck if they applied for an actual prod ect . Bruck: The reality is that staff funding is always problematic. We consistently have to ask applicants to return with proof of matching funds Last year, BMoCA wrote a great grant with focus on what is really needed for that organization This would force other non- profits to think that way. This is something to help them professionalize themselves Smith: Could we look at technical assistance as a two year program Gartenmann: The Commissron can't commit future funds. There is a potentral the funding would no longer exist Smith: There could be areas of need not mentioned m the applicatron that people could utilize. Bruck: I think we should look at offering a bigger grant to fewer organizations Where we can be helpful is have the orgamzatrons learn how to management themselves, turn a profit We can be an organization that supports the arts community in helping them become stable. Zukowski: Our goal is to support the arts community through short term prolects Smith: There is a difference between staff funding and consulting Moss: The applicants can use consultants or staff to implement these plans Bruck: Let's remove staff funding from the application. The approved addrtion to the graut will read. A portion of funds maybe used by organizations for consulting fees or project honoraria. Add Exclusions• On-going staffing needs. Hill: I am rn favor of larger amounts and fewer grants Let's increase to $10,000.00. I don't want to discourage smaller groups Smith: This community rs management poor. Bruck: The grant is intended for midlevel organizations and well established groups. Arts m Education application. Addition: Encourage arts education for all ages. Bruck: The timing seems wrong for teachers. Propose moving the application deadline to October. Gartenmann: Would like to see an education component simrlar to the Kennedy Center which offers arts education for the entire community Work with the Library, the Dairy and BMoCA. Moss: I like the idea of forums for education, to bring m outside people that bring energy and new ideas 2004 Arts m Education grants will be scheduled for October Mini-Grants will be moved to September. Mayor grants: January 5 will be the grant deadline. The Commission will deliberate on the grants at the regular meeting on January 21. Cultural Plan Up date, Moss submitted a hst of goals that Gartenmann will forward on to Bill Capsahs. The goals are: 1. Work with others to create Night of the Arts: 48 hours, all art areas open late as well as restaurants. 2. Work with Downtown to elevate Arts Festivals Get on par with Cherry Creek Arts Festival 3, Subsrdrze artist space rn areas needing upgrading. Focus on cheap (North Boulder, Crossroads) 4. Crossroads: Make temporary art center - subsrdrze 5. Develop "great artists" (cutting edge programming). Lmk/partner with CU and Nampa (4 times a year. BAC helps fund) 6. Work to get percent for art on ballot. 7. Go to Art Hrstory Department to student writer for paper 8. Create closer ties with both Universities and downtown, the Hill and collaborate on an arts paper and arts education 9. Work with Lrbrary/CU/Naropa to help fund artist talks. 10 Work with Open Space and Planning department to find space for temporary expression of cutting edge art. 11 Art fonims -collaborate with Universrty, businesses for cutting edge talks 12. Work with others for Boulder/Denver art event 13 Work with others to start Artist in Resrdence Program. 14 Bring in "Fresh Green" Questions and comments: Where rs this plan going to hve? Once this rs done, rf there are objectives written in to it, who rs going to shepherd rt? Recommendation: extend invrtatron to a Council member to become involved m the Master Plan rmplementation. Loan Pohcy: BMoCA requested financial assistance from the BAC rn June. The Commission loaned the Museum $5,000 with the caveat that funds must be repaid by year end or the amount would be deducted from 2004 funding. Smith sees alushfication m helping m this way because BMoCA receives line item funding from the City. He doesn't want to see rt recurring but at the time, rt looked as if the organization would fold. We need to take requests as rt comes, case by case. Bruck. We don't want to get rn the business of propping up businesses that should fold. Arts Paper Gartenmann presented samples of community arts papers. She submitted a few ideas for a community arts paper that Ina Russell, PR staff for the Library, rs interested rn the protect. Russell formerly edited the 13°i Street Journal, an arts paper from the Boulder Art Center Moss would tike to pursue the rdea of using Umversrty students. Bruck mentioned that the Umversrty departments are overwhelmed by people wanting student assistance on projects. Gartenrnann will ask Russell to attend the October meeting with financials and a proposal. The meeting was adjourned at 8.00 p.m.