Loading...
11.13 UHCAMC SUM CITY OF BOULDER, COLORADO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS MEETING MINUTES FORM NAME OF BOARD/COMMISSION: UNIVERSITY HILL COMMERCIAL AREA MANAGEMENT COMMISSION NAME/TELEPHONE OF PERSON PREPARING SUMMARY: Ruth Weiss – 303-413-7318 NAMES OF MEMBERS, STAFF, AND INVITED GUESTS PRESENT: COMMISSIONERS: DAHL, GRIFFITH (absent) , MITCHELL (absent), RAJ (absent) STAFF: LANDRITH, WEISS, JOBERT, MATTHEWS, WINTER, HERRING GUESTS: TIM PLASS, MIKE BOYERS, DAN GUIMOND, MATT PROSSOR TYPE OF MEETING: Off Site MINUTES MEETING: November 20, 2013 AGENDA ITEM 1 – Roll Call: Meeting called to order at 9:15 a.m. AGENDA ITEM 2 – Election of Vice Chair: Moved toDecember meeting AGENDA ITEM 3 - Approval of October 1, 2013 Minutes: (See Action Item Below): Moved to December meeting AGENDA ITEM 4 - Police Update: None AGENDA ITEM 5 –Public Participation : None AGENDA ITEM 6 – Board and Commission Committee Report and Recommendations – Commission Feedback – Tim Plass: Tim Plass, City of Boulder Councilman, began by mentioning his work with Suzy Ageton to review with support people and board members and staff, have put together a report and objectives to enhance recruitment, and the selection process recruitment improvement. They put the feedback together, noticed overlap, and they came up with recommendations: Roles and responsibilities needed clarification, there will be training to assist; criteria based decision making; broadening the pool of recruitment with videos (Plass showed a Channel 8 promotional video) and it will be shown throughout the recruitment timing; recruitment to also include going out to the community for meetings to get community members to attend; application process questions that will get more about can one work through problems; orientation to be beefed up and show how the city works; lessons learned panel with experienced board members that could tell their story as a learning tool of what they have experienced; ongoing training on capacity building in a proactive way; norming – annual retreats, agenda meetings, debrief after meeting, special training for chairmen and minutes to be more standardized – best practices; working with staff to create a city wide board and commission staff committee to enhance the efficiency; and, parody between boards such as food for meeting sand there are boards with money for training for professional development, some boards have no money for anything, it’s a fairness issue. Plass continued that they are going to all the boards and commissions for input and comments. Plass thanked Dahl for her commitment and effort. Dahl mentioned that there is a lot of talent being missed and wondered if it could be opened up, Winter mentioned that district boards require that 3 slots are for property owners or a representative of a property owner, DMC has a bigger pool than UHCAMC. Plass offered that there would have to be nexus with the recruiter. Winter continued that have a student representative is great but it’s hard to fulfill a 5 year term. Winter continued that it is part of the State Statute. Winter questioned what is the role of staff? Dahl mentioned that she has been on the board for 7 years and is resigning since there has not been much improvement, the Hill is now back on the radar since its in decline, the board has never had power, council has said in the past it would be in the forefront, they have no money, no resources to make change, the businesses on the Hill are beat down, no cohesion, Dahl has tried to make it happen, council with its numerous areas of concern has overlooked them, her Yo Yo business is in decline and has a plea for help. Plass offered that he is hopeful that something can be done with the Hill and asked what powers the board should have to make things happen. Dahl replied that the agenda today is not the norm, it has to be something that makes a difference, meet once a month and have a retreat, they pencil push, no access to any funds, mentioned a back to school event she organized and it wasn’t successful and found out that there is a student population that who don’t come up to the hill, Dahl mentioned the difficulty with finding funds for the event. Winter offered that there is a Hill Reinvestment Strategy being created and needs a broader coalition to make it happen; mentioned th the redevelopment of the 14 Street Lot with Michael Boyers and there will be an MOU to council in December. Dahl mentioned some projects and the need to partner with the University of Colorado, talked about kiosk, a gateway to the hill and trash cans, CU students to build into curriculum. Plass mentioned the SPARK. Dahl there needs to be more. Winter mentioned a meeting in December to bring …tape. Plass offered that there are 18 boards and commissions. th AGENDA ITEM 7 –Proposal for the 14 Street Parking Lot Public/Private Partnership Presentation : Winter introduced Dan Guimond and Matt Prosser from EPS. EPS has done an analysis and noted that it could work for both the thth developer and city. The components of the deal include, per Guimond, 14 Street parking lot with 64 spaces and a 13 Street property across the street with a proposal a public/private partnership on the two properties. The primary reason for thth the 13 Street property is for the access of the 14 Street project, with a lease back of 191 spaces and the access to the residences. UHGID has the option to lease as many spaces over the 40 years. The developer proposes to purchase property from UHGID for $1, financially the developer is given option to build residences and UHGID will pay the developer to build the structure. EPS analysis of the project UHGID will pay 90% of the revenues back to developer for construction of the parking structure, and there would be three phases. The economic benefits of the deal are slightly positive for UHGID and negative for developer but for the benefits from the construction of the residences. Winter mentioned that bonding the project was not an option. The project needs to be looked at from both the UHGID and city perspective. Issues for the MOU include the ownership of the land, whether the 90/10 split is the right number for revenue distribution, and project design. EPS recommends to city in terms of refining terms and conditions that the city and UHGID should look at the entire project and not just the parking. EPS recommends that the proposal has merit and worthy to pursue. Boyers offered that EPS has done a fine, fair and reasonable report. Boyers mentioned that discussions with CU has just begun and believes that CU needs to step up. Boyers has asked CU to do focus and study groups to see about leasing residences to non-undergrad students. Boyers offered that CU has not been involved on the Hill and its time to step up. Boyers offered that the historic folks are resistant to the tear down. Boyers provided a diagram of the project with the historic building not considered. This study there will be 220 – 230 parking spaces. There will be a gifted back of the parking spaces to UHGID after the 40 years. Boyers mentioned the lenders are fine with a land lease and the spaces returned to city with no debt. Specifics of the deal were discussed by Boyer. Boyer continued with explaining the parking structure and the residences. Winter is looking for approval of the MOU by council to move forward. AGENDA ITEM 8 –Hill Reinvestment Strategy : Winter commented that this is a shifting of gears since they can’t move forward in a status quo situation. This is the initial take on what it would look like and council would like to talk about it at their retreat, UHGID cannot finance it, and its goal is for a more sustainable future. Winter offered that the city needs to be the leader and catalyst, there needs to be others to bring it forward. Dahl commented that CU needs to be more involved. AGENDA ITEM 9 –CUSG Update : None AGENDA ITEM 10 – UHNA Update None AGENDA ITEM 11 - Parking Services Update : Matthews mentioned that the holiday lights are going up currently. AGENDA ITEM 12 – Matters from the Commissioners : SPARK open house was mentioned. AGENDA ITEM 10 – Matters from the Staff: Winter mentioned that a maintenance supervisor is being sought. Winter continued that a Parklet plan is being devised and doing a pilot parklet on Pennsylvania, as a competition with CU students, at the beginning of the year and hopes to have in place by then end of the school year. It is an opportunity for more public open space. Winter mentioned the BID Exploration meeting. AMPS is on hold due to the flood and is ramping up again, looking at best practices, Pay by Cell was mentioned as another option and interviews are in the near future. Landrith offered that the Fox Theater has offered space for the mural; it will be on a CU syllabus for credit. Landrith continued that Espresso Roma is closed. Landrith mentioned the Homecoming Parade was great; floats were wonderful, good participation. Meeting adjourned at 10:38 a.m. ACTION ITEMS: MOTION: No quorum